• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Free agency and draft thread

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL contract penalties are lower for players who hold out on rookie contracts. Elite1st round picks signing extensions before playing the 4th year of their rookie contract isn't uncommon, (regardless of teams picking up the 5th year option). EG Goff and Gurley at the Rams. More recently Mahomes, Burrow, and Herbert all signed early deals. Ezekiel Elliott was another non-QB who signed an extension before the 4th year. Penei Sewell signed an extension in April.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why nothing about the Trevor Lawrence signing?

I'm starting to think you guys aren't really taking this seriously.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why nothing about the Trevor Lawrence signing?

I'm starting to think you guys aren't really taking this seriously.
I did comment about him in the other thread. In that thread I commented that his 5 year extension meant he had a 6 year deal. However, he has both his rookie 4th year and and 5th year option ahead of him so it's now a 7 year deal, (probably for $313M if including his rookie pro-rata signing bonus for 2024). Those numbers look more reasonable, especially if the final 2 or 3 years are the biggest paying years.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trevor Lawrence $55M per!? LMFAO.... eh the Jags gonna Jag..

Trevor Lawrence has in no way lived up to the hype and is a very mediocre QB... Hell Geno Smith for half the price is a better QB with one of the worst OLs in the league... lmao. :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did comment about him in the other thread. In that thread I commented that his 5 year extension meant he had a 6 year deal. However, he has both his rookie 4th year and and 5th year option ahead of him so it's now a 7 year deal, (probably for $313M if including his rookie pro-rata signing bonus for 2024). Those numbers look more reasonable, especially if the final 2 or 3 years are the biggest paying years.

That's a lot for a bust.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a lot for a bust.
$15M would be a lot for a bust. I've just had a quick look at about 7 QB rankings lists going into 2024. The high point for Lawrence was #8 and the low point was #15. I had a lot of doubts about Lawrence as a rookie. He cleaned up his mechanics and played better in year 2. I can't call him a bust. At worst he's been a disappointment.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$15M would be a lot for a bust. I've just had a quick look at about 7 QB rankings lists going into 2024. The high point for Lawrence was #8 and the low point was #15. I had a lot of doubts about Lawrence as a rookie. He cleaned up his mechanics and played better in year 2. I can't call him a bust. At worst he's been a disappointment.
Yeah, can't say he's a "bust" but let's just say he hasn't been the overused "generational" term. So far, he has been about average. He was given excuses for the Urban Meyer fiasco and that set him back but under Doug P, he's had about 1/2 a season of above average play. Had that comeback in the play-offs vs. a shitty Chargers D but created the mess of that game to begin with. Now he is getting excuses by some for playing through injuries. Funny how that excuse was dismissed for Mayfield in Cleveland but Golden Boy gets a pass and a huge extension. I guess we will have to wait and see how this plays out but Trevor needs a breakout season, imo. Especially now that he's been paid.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, can't say he's a "bust" but let's just say he hasn't been the overused "generational" term. So far, he has been about average. He was given excuses for the Urban Meyer fiasco and that set him back but under Doug P, he's had about 1/2 a season of above average play. Had that comeback in the play-offs vs. a shitty Chargers D but created the mess of that game to begin with. Now he is getting excuses by some for playing through injuries. Funny how that excuse was dismissed for Mayfield in Cleveland but Golden Boy gets a pass and a huge extension. I guess we will have to wait and see how this plays out but Trevor needs a breakout season, imo. Especially now that he's been paid.
Not a lot of expectations down there in Jacksonville. He's good enough to stick with and still a lot of upside.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Trevor Lawrence has in no way lived up to the hype and is a very mediocre QB... Hell Geno Smith for half the price is a better QB with one of the worst OLs in the league... lmao. :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:
exactly,but the owner loves pissing money away I guess.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly,but the owner loves pissing money away I guess.

What's even more baffling, he was only coming into his 4th year. Did someone tell the clown owner/GM that his rookie contract is for 4 years with a 5th year option? Did Lawrence say if he didn't get extended he's gonna walk in year 6? lol.. whatever.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's even more baffling, he was only coming into his 4th year. Did someone tell the clown owner/GM that his rookie contract is for 4 years with a 5th year option? Did Lawrence say if he didn't get extended he's gonna walk in year 6? lol.. whatever.
lol I thought Dan Snyder pissed money away.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have been saying all along that they were going to do this but I agree, they could have waited to see if he actually will show he's worth it. They also had the FT in their pocket. He's still young and might actually be great but damn, he has a lot to prove yet.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
except he wouldnt be able to walk in year 6.
Now they will be redoing another contract around the time they could've waited to do the 1st real contract.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't extend him now he could have a year that makes him a 70M a year QB.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He still has a high ceiling, he just isn’t what people thought for years. You still don’t let him walk bc of his talent. I guess the bright spot here is you sign him now at $55M/yr instead of waiting two more years at $70-80M/yr.

That’s all I got lol

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He still has a high ceiling, he just isn’t what people thought for years. You still don’t let him walk bc of his talent. I guess the bright spot here is you sign him now at $55M/yr instead of waiting two more years at $70-80M/yr.

That’s all I got lol

lol I guess...

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, save 30M just to be mid level NFL team and with an aging QB who's out the league in 2 years. Sounds like a plan :thumb:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, save 30M just to be mid level NFL team and with an aging QB who's out the league in 2 years. Sounds like a plan :thumb:

Fact they almost made the playoffs last year with their entire OL out at various points and one of the worst defenses in the NFL says that it's not a problem with the QB.... the new head coach will have something to say about the defense while the offense remains basically unchanged. Everyone knows Pete's system was horribly out-dated and any OC with a functioning brain could easily exploit it with over 10 years of game film to pick apart with the same ol' system.

Whatever. Guess we could just stay mediocre drafting top 15 QBs like the Bears over the last decade... but I'm sure Caleb Williams will pan out. :rolleyes2:

And Trevor Lawrence has a good ceiling but has shown little to be paid $55M per year... point being, why pay him that right now? Get through at least the 4 years on his rookie contract. And if Lawrence says he would walk... he's just in it for the cash. I bet he starts mailing it in and remains an overpaid mediocre QB for the rest of his career. Geno may be a mediocre (well he's not, he's actually above average according to the last 2 seasons, one of which was an injury for a tackle that is now illegal/flag/ejection worthy), but at least he's not overpaid... which Lawrence is.

Last edited: