• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Free agency and draft thread

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,330.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't the Jets add some money to his contract this coming season as an incentive to report to camp?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't the Jets add some money to his contract this coming season to get him to report?
I don’t know their cap situation. Presumably, they’d have to make a raise for him a multi year deal so they can kick the cap hit down the road. I honestly don’t know the Jets cap situation. You’d have to think at this late hour, a team that’s win now with the AR acquisition isn’t gonna have a ton of extra cap hanging around.

Last edited:

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,330.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know their cap situation. Presumably, they’d have to make a raise for him a multi year deal so they can kick the cap hit down the road. I honestly don’t know the Jets cap situation. You’d have to think at this late hour, a team that’s win now with the AR acquisition is gonna have a ton of extra cap hanging around.
They could give him an extra 3-4 mill for this season to entice him to report.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could give him an extra 3-4 mill for this season to entice him to report.
I screwed up that last post and it changed everything. Edited now to say isn’t gonna have a lot of cap lying around.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,330.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I screwed up that last post and it changed everything. Edited now to say isn’t gonna have a lot of cap lying around.
They have approximately 5.8 mill available still.

They could add some of that to the last year on his current deal.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,330.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the tea leaves, I knew what you meant. I just did not correct you.

Feeling pretty good, despite this weekend looming.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the tea leaves, I knew what you meant. I just did not correct you.

Feeling pretty good, despite this weekend looming.
What’s looming this weekend?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised to see he is only worth 10-15 million after 7 years in the League. However, this will be his 3rd team since 2021? That's off for a player of his caliber.

That was what top players at the position were getting paid in 2022.

Top contracts that offseason for edge players were:
Von Miller 6 years $120 M ($20M AAV ..... But a lot was fake).
Chandler Jones 3 year $51M ($17 AAV)
Randy Gregory 5 year $70M ($14 AAV)
Reddick 3 year $45 ($15 AAV)

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They can franchise him whether Rodgers retires or not.

But here is the thing.....Jets dont really want Reddick past this year. They have some young studs that hopefully will be able to step into the full time rolls starting next season in McDonald and Johnson. Reddick was an expensive rotation option.

Its what makes him holding out for a new deal so awkward for them and why holding out isnt likely to work for Reddick. They dont want to pay him past this year if they can help it. They have player alternatives to him already on the roster and cap that needs to be spent elsewhere.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,330.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can franchise him whether Rodgers retires or not.

But here is the thing.....Jets dont really want Reddick past this year. They have some young studs that hopefully will be able to step into the full time rolls starting next season in McDonald and Johnson. Reddick was an expensive rotation option.

Its what makes him holding out for a new deal so awkward for them and why holding out isnt likely to work for Reddick. They dont want to pay him past this year if they can help it. They have player alternatives to him already on the roster and cap that needs to be spent elsewhere.
Okay...

Thanks for the info.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Jets don't want Reddick for more than a one-year rental, then they are even dumber than I thought. Trading for a player who is clearly unhappy to play on the final year of his existing contract and expecting him to just suck it up and suit up for his new team is...a choice.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams can franchise tag any player under contract to them regardless of how they acquired that player. Players can only have franchise tags applied to them a maximum of 3 times. Realistically you can only tag a non-QB 2 times because of cost. Reddick hasn't been tagged so the Jets could tag him. I don't expect that to happen. Reddick isn't worth a tag. The Jets are also in no hurry to extend him. I don't blame them. They're playing with house money. They've invested about 97 Draft chart points to acquire him and they figure they'll get 50 points back as a compensatory pick. Worst case he plays like crap, they get little in return for his salary, and they get no compensation. There's very little difference between that and a FA acquisition that doesn't work out. On the other hand there's a lot of upside potential in having a star on a cheap contract.