• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Draft & FA. Where do we start?

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have focused on trading down on here. What about trading up?

The one guy I would highly consider trading up for is Byron Murphy. It would probably involve trading a 2025 pick though.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a 3rd or no deal
Agreed. Top 95-100 pick to move down to the bottom of the first is fair, 4th round is not. Most teams including Dallas only grade out 17-18 players per draft as true 1st round grades, so you are getting the same caliber player at 32 as you get at 24. Not like going from 16 to 24, that would take a 2nd

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The one guy I would highly consider trading up for is Byron Murphy. It would probably involve trading a 2025 pick though.
After our 3rd rounder pick 87, our next pick isn't until 174. To move up, it would take the 2nd or 3rd or next year's 1. With all the holes we have, I think they need more not less. Murphy is a Heck of a player though

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’d trade up if we really really love someone who is sitting there. No chance I’m trading down. And god knows I’m not planning on doing so before the draft even starts and we know who is available at that pick. Unless all the guys we like are off the board in that case, ok. Stars win championships. you can always fill out the roster if you need to.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I worry about two things here. Guyton is too boom or bust for me personally for the first round and I would hate to see us take Brooks earlier than #56.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll say again what I say over and over about both Zeke and Gallup. For a vet minimum type deal? Sure. The problem was more the salary than the player. But Zeke needs to be a clear cut #2. Under no circumstance can you run him out there as a #1 or even #1A RB IMO

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
listening to the boys on the fan 105.3 they keep saying JPJ is not high on the list of players the Cowboys are interested in. Off the field issues ? They were kinda coy about what it was/is of course this time of year it’s all smoke mirrors and magic fairy dust covering everything and not the good kind that makes wishes come true

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Note: Broaddus is NEVER right. Dude can't even agree with himself...but who knows and more and more you hear Barton and to play Center. I think he goes to Pittsburgh and we either take Powers-Johnson or skip Center but we shall see. I'm hoping OL or the Texas DT :hope:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
listening to the boys on the fan 105.3 they keep saying JPJ is not high on the list of players the Cowboys are interested in. Off the field issues ? They were kinda coy about what it was/is of course this time of year it’s all smoke mirrors and magic fairy dust covering everything and not the good kind that makes wishes come true
Interesting. This is now the second time I'm hearing something about the worthless mocks all over the internet being higher on him than the teams. My issue with him has been the one year wonder thing. Where was he before this year? But he looks like a week 1 road grader so I'd still be happy with him

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brugler has them top 2 but clearly Barton higher and Brugler is by far the top guy to me. This is tough to read but he likes both based on their ranking:

1. GRAHAM BARTON | Duke 6053 | 311 lbs. | 4SR Brentwood, Tenn. (Ravenwood) 6/1/2002 (age 21.90) #62BACKGROUND: Graham Barton grew up in the Nashville suburb of Brentwood. A standout lacrosse player in his youth, Barton’s football journey got started in fourthgrade, when he convinced his mom (Heather) to allow him to play organized football. Barton attended Ravenwood High School, wh ere football overtook lacrosse ashis go-to sport as he continued to grow into his frame. He was a four-year letterman on varsity and played on the offensive and defensive lines. Barton was a 215 -pound right tackle as a sophomore before getting up to 255 pounds as a junior left tackle, earning All-State honors in 2018. As a senior, he led Ravenwood to a 13-2record and the 2019 6A state championship game (lost to Maryville). Barton again earned All-State honors as a senior. He also lettered two years in lacrosse beforefootball became his focus.A three-star recruit, Barton was the No. 41 offensive guard in the 2020 class and the No. 19 recruit in Tennessee (No. 4 offensive li neman in the state). His put himselfon the recruiting radar prior to his junior season of high school and received his first offers from Central Michigan, Washington State and Memphis. He was recruitedby in-state power Tennessee but never received an offer. Barton finished with a dozen scholarship offers from Power 5 programs, inc luding from the SEC (MississippiState, Missouri and Vanderbilt) and Big Ten (Michigan State, Purdue and Indiana). But he connected with former Duke head coach David Cutc liffe and his messageand committed to the Blue Devils in April 2019 prior to his senior year. Barton was the highest-ranked recruit in Cutcliffe’s 2020 recruiting class. He is a public policymajor and interned at the Raleigh office of U.S. Senator Thom Tillis during the summer of 2023. Barton opted out of the 2023 bowl game and accepted his invitationto the 2024 Senior Bowl.

STRENGTHS: Outstanding play strength … eager hands with a stubborn grip (Barton: “I think I outplay my frame.”) … stays controlled and balanced to achieve qualitypositioning as a run blocker … able to redirect his hips in gaps to seal off defenders … strains through contact to stay connected to blocks … aggressive finisher andworks through the whistle … his pull mobility and second-level skills are a strength … smooth setup out of his stance … shows light feet mid-slide when adjusting topass rushers in space … able to locate late loopers and quickly process when defenses run games up front … plays through nagging injuries and empties the tank onthe field … called the “hardest worker” on the team by his quarterback Riley Leonard … only played left tackle the last three seasons, but he was the starter at center(430 snaps) as a freshman.

WEAKNESSES: Arm length is shorter than desired … doesn’t have ideal lateral range to match outside speed … bad habits in pass pro, includ ing ducking his headagainst shifty rushers … ends up grabbing or hooking defenders when his hands are a fraction off-schedule (14 combined penalties the last two seasons) … lackslower-body girth and power … needs to use better initial sink to anchor and offset his lack of length vs. bull rushers … overeager in the run game, leading toinconsistent pad level or lunging … missed three games as a senior and battled through multiple injuries, including a concussion and left knee sprain; required labrumsurgery to repair his left shoulder (Nov. 2023), which sidelined him for most of the draft process … didn’t play a snap insid e at guard in college.SUMMARY: A four-year starter at Duke, Barton was entrenched at left tackle in former offensive coordinator Kevin Johns’ scheme. The highest-ranked recruit in theBlue Devils’ class four years ago, he earned freshman All-America honors as a center in 2020 and started 34 games at left tackle over the last three seasons, earningAll-America honors in 2023. As a run blocker, Barton plays with the athletic control, core strength and stubborn mentality to exe cute his assignments. His movementsand finishing skills also translate to pass protection, but he will struggle cutting off NFL speed and needs to improve his punch timing to stay ahead of schedule (andavoid penalties). Overall, Barton will have adjustments to make as he moves inside, but he has athletic feet and strong hands and works hard to stay attached toblocks through the whistle. He projects as an above-average NFL starter at guard or center (reminiscent of Alijah Vera-Tucker).GRADE: 1st Round (No. 18 overall)

2. JACKSON POWERS-JOHNSON | Oregon 6033 | 328 lbs. |
3JR Draper, Utah (Corner Canyon) 1/23/2003 (age 21.26) #58BACKGROUND: Jackson Powers-Johnson, the youngest of four children (two girls, two boys), grew up in Draper (Salt Lake City suburbs) in a blended family. WhenJackson was 3, his mother remarried, and his new stepfather (James Johnson) became “Dad” and the man who raised him. Through high school, Jackson went by hisgiven name “Jackson Light,” but when he turned 18, he went to court and legally changed his name to “Jackson James Powers-Johnson” to reflect his mother’smaiden name (Powers) and the close bond with his stepfather. Starting at age 5, Powers-Johnson became involved with multiple sports, including basketball andwrestling. But baseball was his first passion, and he started making all-star teams at age 7.At age 9, his first football coach (Sean Hagen) saw his athletic skill set and suggested he join his team. Jackson was soon dominati ng on the offensive and defensivelines at the youth level. While still raking on the baseball diamond in middle school, he was earning MVPs at football camps, and it started to look like the gridiron washis future. Powers-Johnson enrolled at Corner Canyon High School in Draper and started on varsity at left guard and defensive tackle as a freshman, earning secondteam All-Region. He moved to center as a sophomore and helped Corner Canyon to a 12-0 season, including the 2018 state championship. As a junior, PowersJohnson again led the team to an undefeated (14-0) season and state championship, earning first team All-State and regional offensive line MVP honors in 2019. Forhis senior season, he led Corner Canyon to a third consecutive undefeated (14-0) season and state championship as the program went 40-0 over his final three prepseasons. Powers-Johnson was named a captain for the third consecutive year in 2020 and again earned first team All-State and regional offensive line MVP honors.On defense, he finished his career with 124 tackles, 20.0 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, two interceptions and one forced fumbl e. He was also a three-year letterman inboth baseball and wrestling.A four-star recruit, Powers-Johnson was the No. 14 interior lineman in the 2021 class and the No. 3 recruit in Utah, one spot behind QB Jaxson Dart (one of his closefriends and the quarterback he blocked for at Corner Canyon). In January 2019, after his sophomore season, Utah State offered him a full scholarship, followed byBYU, Missouri, Nebraska, Oregon and Utah a few months later. Midway through his junior year, Powers-Johnson was ready to shut down his recruitment and committo head coach Mario Cristobal and the Ducks. At Corner Canyon’s signing ceremony, all eyes were on Dart as he revealed his commitment to USC — while PowersJohnson stayed loyal to Oregon. He was the No. 9 recruit in Cristobal’s final class in Eugene (OT Kingsley Suamataia was No. 1). After three seasons, Powers-Johnsonskipped the 2023 bowl game and hissenior season to enter the 2024 NFL Draft. He accepted his invitation to the 2024 Senior Bowl but had to pull out midwaythrough the week with a hamstring injury.

STRENGTHS: Has an NFL frame with above-average body twitch and snap-to-step quickness … efficient lateral shuffle to answer gap shooters (allowed zero sacks andonly one pressure in 2023) … plays with a firm base and fierce hands to refit and stay centered in his pass-protection anchor … gets the most out of his average lengthand looks to remove defenders from their feet (led Oregon with 37 knockdowns in 2023) … quick to turn or wall off defenders i n the run game … has the functionalrange to get out in front on screens and second-level work-ups … alert versus defensive fronts and plays assignment sound … competes with a mean streak, and hisfight-or-flight response is to match the opponent’s authority … the Oregon coaching staff raves about his toughness and dedication to his craft … one of the youngestoffensive linemen in this draft class but carries himself like a veteran … has experience at all three interior line positions (893 snaps at center, 430 at right guard, 27 atleft guard).

WEAKNESSES: Sets tall at times with inconsistent knee bend … average hip roll and doesn’t consistently drive defenders off the ball … has the range to reach hisblocking points but needs to get there with urgency and timing as well … will strengthen his sustain skills with improved post-contact leverage and mechanics … highlypenalized as a junior, drawing eight flags (five false starts, two ineligible downfield and one unsportsmanlike conduct) … th e medicals will be important after hebattled multiple injuries, including groin and hip issues in 2023 along with multiple concussions over his career … only one full season of starting experience (just 16starts on offense at Oregon).

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Oregon, Powers-Johnson emerged as a standout center this past season in offensive coordinator Will Stein’s zone -read, balancedattack. After filling in at guard his first two seasons, he won the starting center job in 2023 and became the fifth unanimous All-American in school history and firstPac-12 player to win the Rimington Award as the nation’s top center. A multi-sport athlete growing up, Powers-Johnson plays light on his feet in pass protection andas a run blocker,with the natural movement skills and stability at contact to torque and fend off defenders. With his contact balance and comp osure, he rarelyappears overwhelmed on tape, although the defensive line play in the NFL is a giant leap ahead of what he saw in the Pac -12. Overall, Powers-Johnson’sinexperience is reflected in his technique, but he offers a fantastic combination of size, athleticism and toughness, with the skill set that translates to both centerand guard. His game reminds me of Ryan Kelly, who won the Rimington Award at Alabama before becoming a first-round pick in 2016.GRADE: 1st-2nd Round (No. 23 overall)

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zeke meeting with the Cowboys at the Star today. Imagine if you said a year ago that our RB room would be down Tony Pollard but bringing BACK Zeke. Good Lord

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. This is now the second time I'm hearing something about the worthless mocks all over the internet being higher on him than the teams. My issue with him has been the one year wonder thing. Where was he before this year? But he looks like a week 1 road grader so I'd still be happy with him
The problem is this FO telegraphs everything they are going to do. This leads to other teams trading up in front of Dallas. They need to Shut their pieholes.

The way I see it is their 4th round pick is Trey Lance and not trade down for a 4th round pick.

I want JPJ or Barton at 24. They get cute they will end up botching the draft. Barton or JPJ instant quality starters at center. I will argue both these guys are major upgrades over the guy that started the last 4 years. We don't need to draft a project LT at 24 just because the best OTs are off the board .

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two thoughts on the Payton Wilson vs Sean Lee comparison.
The first was I literally LOL'd at this comment: "Unfortunately, the comparison of the two players durability are also similar."
Second, could you imagine Sean Lee if he ran a 4.43? Holy crap would he be shooting gaps and chasing down sweeps

After looking at some offensive prospects in this year's draft, here are five defensive prospects that compare closest to Dallas Cowboys players.

LB Payton Wilson (N.C. State)
Best Comp- Sean Lee

Size comparison:
Wilson-
Height- 6’3” 7/8
Weight- 234 lbs
Arm Length- 30 1/2”
Hands- 9”

Lee-
Height- 6’2”
Weight- 236 lbs
Arm Length- 32”
Hand size- 8 3/4”

Athletic comparison:
Wilson-
40-Yard Time- 4.43s
Vert- 34 1/2”
Broad- 119”

Lee-
40-Yard Time- 4.71s
Vert- 37 1/2”
Broad- 120”

The size comparisons are fairly close with both players but this comparison is less about size and athletic similarities and more about football IQ, position and injury history. Like Sean Lee, Payton Wilson has a high football IQs that allows him to see several steps ahead and read the offensive alignment like a book. Their ability to adjust quickly and always be in the right place at the right time is how both players operate. Both are well adapted to play the Will linebacker position, getting quickly to the ball carrier and chasing them down with good tackling technique.

Unfortunately, the comparison of the two players durability are also similar. Wilson has a huge list of injuries which we covered in his scouting report not too long ago. From shoulder, ACL and hamstring injuries, Wilson has every concerning injury box checked and at such a volatile position this makes his pick risky. Drafting him will leave fans holding their breath on every tough tackle, just like with Sean Lee.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
washington as a trade partner? Two seconds not likely. but 36, a third and a fourth intrigues me. Will can find football players. Sit down jerry.

DLAW became a cowboy doing a draft day trade with Washington.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two thoughts on the Payton Wilson vs Sean Lee comparison.
The first was I literally LOL'd at this comment: "Unfortunately, the comparison of the two players durability are also similar."
Second, could you imagine Sean Lee if he ran a 4.43? Holy crap would he be shooting gaps and chasing down sweeps

After looking at some offensive prospects in this year's draft, here are five defensive prospects that compare closest to Dallas Cowboys players.

LB Payton Wilson (N.C. State)
Best Comp- Sean Lee

Size comparison:
Wilson-
Height- 6’3” 7/8
Weight- 234 lbs
Arm Length- 30 1/2”
Hands- 9”

Lee-
Height- 6’2”
Weight- 236 lbs
Arm Length- 32”
Hand size- 8 3/4”

Athletic comparison:
Wilson-
40-Yard Time- 4.43s
Vert- 34 1/2”
Broad- 119”

Lee-
40-Yard Time- 4.71s
Vert- 37 1/2”
Broad- 120”

The size comparisons are fairly close with both players but this comparison is less about size and athletic similarities and more about football IQ, position and injury history. Like Sean Lee, Payton Wilson has a high football IQs that allows him to see several steps ahead and read the offensive alignment like a book. Their ability to adjust quickly and always be in the right place at the right time is how both players operate. Both are well adapted to play the Will linebacker position, getting quickly to the ball carrier and chasing them down with good tackling technique.

Unfortunately, the comparison of the two players durability are also similar. Wilson has a huge list of injuries which we covered in his scouting report not too long ago. From shoulder, ACL and hamstring injuries, Wilson has every concerning injury box checked and at such a volatile position this makes his pick risky. Drafting him will leave fans holding their breath on every tough tackle, just like with Sean Lee.
Wilson meets the requirements for a Dallas Cowboys 2nd round pick . My big concern is Dallas drafts him or Brooks in the first round. Lol

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
washington as a trade partner? Two seconds not likely. but 36, a third and a fourth intrigues me. Will can find football players. Sit down jerry.

DLAW became a cowboy doing a draft day trade with Washington.
I would be ecstatic with that trade. We need more ammunition