• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Draft & FA. Where do we start?

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why we need to trade back in round one for more picks. We have a ton of needs and only 3 picks in the top 170
I am not against trading down as long as they get a fair deal. Otherwise no. If they trade down 5 spots and get a 3rd or 4th then yes. If all the top lineman are taken before 24 then a trade down makes sense. They just can't be reaching.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not against trading down as long as they get a fair deal. Otherwise no. If they trade down 5 spots and get a 3rd or 4th then yes. If all the top lineman are taken before 24 then a trade down makes sense. They just can't be reaching.
There will be linemen there at 24, even at 32. I kind of think it will be hard to trade back. I think this is a draft where the bottom of the first round looks real similar to the middle of the second. Hopefully, someone wants to come up for a QB

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way I want to see us trade down 5 spots for a 4th. We need year 1 starters. We can fill our holes with journeyman after teh draft. Trading down will just make it less likely we fill our starting holes.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way I want to see us trade down 5 spots for a 4th. We need year 1 starters. We can fill our holes with journeyman after teh draft. Trading down will just make it less likely we fill our starting holes.
This team in the past traded down and it imploded 2009 was one of those. So, I get what you are saying.

I am not totally against trading down, but I prefer to stay put. I also think this team needs to draft a RB on day two. They seriously can't be considering going with the backs we currently have on the roster? I want one of the top 3 backs.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team in the past traded down and it imploded 2009 was one of those. So, I get what you are saying.

I am not totally against trading down, but I prefer to stay put. I also think this team needs to draft a RB on day two. They seriously can't be considering going with the backs we currently have on the roster? I want one of the top 3 backs.
I think if you can get a top 100 player, it's forth trading back 5-6 spots. With only 3 picks in the top 170, we need more quality picks. You had mentioned RB and LB on day two, which we need. In that case, we almost have to go OL in round 1. And hope like Heck all 3 hit. But that would leave us without a DT to replace Hankins, without DE depth for Armstrong and Fowler, light at CB if we lose Gilmore, and even taking OL in round 1 we still have to start someone from the current roster(guessing Bass or Udoga) which would hurt our OL depth. And it means Tolbert starts at WR.
I'm guessing that Dallas will use what's left in FA to fill needs that aren't covered through the draft. But it does make me worry. They are really im a situation where they have to go need instead of BPA, and I think we saw last year that doesn't always yield the same results

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand, and this is where McClay comes in play. We did trade down not so long ago and received Parsons and another pick under pick 100. Jerry sucked face on the 2009 draft... and McClay is now in the room.

Crazy? What IF Washington gives up 36 & 40 for 24? My God, who's at 24 blows that off? The 5th or 6th tackle?
Maybe it's our second round pick we trade back for an early 4th. Who knows but play the cards and see what might come up. Don't for God's sake think pick 24 is a must take. I bet Will won't. We'll see.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys sign RB Royce Freeman to a 1 year deal. Freeman had 319 yards in 14 games last year. Sigh....

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. No way would I trade down for a fourth. Teams have leaped frogged us too much in the past already to take players we targeted. I would rather trade up then down. I would rather stand pat. We need quality starters from the first and second round. Don't play around and trade down to get burned again. They telegraph who they want every freaking year. And other teams know that.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on J Newton the DT from Illinois. What if he is sitting there at 24? This guy is going to be a problem for offensive lines. IDGAF if he is smaller.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on J Newton the DT from Illinois. What if he is sitting there at 24? This guy is going to be a problem for offensive lines. IDGAF if he is smaller.
can't see DT at 24 after taking Smith last year in round one. I think Smith will be much better with this DC

interior oline, maybe an OT seems most likely. I will stand on my chair if DeJean sits there at 24.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can't see DT at 24 after taking Smith last year in round one. I think Smith will be much better with this DC

interior oline, maybe an OT seems most likely. I will stand on my chair if DeJean sits there at 24.
DeJean is a great player. I think if he is there at 24, the Cowboys instead take the 8th or 9th best OL out of necessity. Hope not

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeJean is a great player. I think if he is there at 24, the Cowboys instead take the 8th or 9th best OL out of necessity. Hope not
you could be correct. I hope McClay gets more and more say in this. Will has a skill of trusting his scouts and listening to the coaches. Coaches for position needs and his scouts for rankings in position groups.

Maybe the new DC has a little say about the kinda guy he wants. ( happened with Quinn)

Doesn't much matter, Philly or Pittsburgh will draft DeJean b4 our pick. Then I have to learn to dislike real good football players.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
however...IF Will really really thinks the 7th best OT is better than a guy I really really like.

I'll grin and bare it.
lol

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Center, MLB, DT & sprinkle in a quality RB.

If we can land starters &/or players that see decent amount of time at all these spots this year.
I will be ecstatic!

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you could be correct. I hope McClay gets more and more say in this. Will has a skill of trusting his scouts and listening to the coaches. Coaches for position needs and his scouts for rankings in position groups.

Maybe the new DC has a little say about the kinda guy he wants. ( happened with Quinn)

Doesn't much matter, Philly or Pittsburgh will draft DeJean b4 our pick. Then I have to learn to dislike real good football players.
Man that's right. Jerry is beyond lucky McClay has stayed despite Jerry being an egomaniac and needing to call himself a GM. If Will ever leaves, we are up shit creek.
Funny you mentioned the Steelers. I thought Joey Porter Jr. would have been a great pick for is last year and he goes to the Steelers several picks later. No trade down required for that lol

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Center, MLB, DT & sprinkle in a quality RB.

If we can land starters &/or players that see decent amount of time at all these spots this year.
I will be ecstatic!
We will have to hit on all at least one player at 174 or later to get that done. We have the guy who can do it, if Jerry listens to him

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys sign RB Royce Freeman to a 1 year deal. Freeman had 319 yards in 14 games last year. Sigh....

Man that's right. Jerry is beyond lucky McClay has stayed despite Jerry being an egomaniac and needing to call himself a GM. If Will ever leaves, we are up shit creek.
Funny you mentioned the Steelers. I thought Joey Porter Jr. would have been a great pick for is last year and he goes to the Steelers several picks later. No trade down required for that lol
I just was not celebrating the last draft. Mazi I understood the pick. It was a need pick though. Mazi was not the highest on my board at that spot. What I do not like is this team wanting to turn these defensive tackles into "utility" players. They did the same shit with Crawford. I thought they drafted Mazi to be the NT and they try to make him a 3 tech.

Don't even mention the 2nd round pick. Lol

Why not just draft a guy like J. Newton and let him be the future 3 tech? Newton has been mocked mid to late 1st round. You know they not going to pay Osa. DT situation is not good.

I see Newton being a major headache to offenses. He got some twitch you just are not getting lower than this guy. He gets under offensive lineman and pretty much does what he wants. If you watch his tape he is all about technique. Newton got serious pro bowl potential. He got All Pro potential with the way he uses his hands

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just was not celebrating the last draft. Mazi I understood the pick. It was a need pick though. Mazi was not the highest on my board at that spot. What I do not like is this team wanting to turn these defensive tackles into "utility" players. They did the same shit with Crawford. I thought they drafted Mazi to be the NT and they try to make him a 3 tech.

Why not just draft a guy like J. Newton and let him be the future 3 tech? Newton has been mocked mid to late 1st round. You know they not going to pay Osa. DT situation is not good.

I see Newton being a major headache to offenses. He got some twitch you just are not getting lower than this guy. He gets under offensive lineman and pretty much does what he wants. If you watch his tape he is all about technique. Newton got serious pro bowl potential. He got All Pro potential with the way he uses his hands
Newton would be a great pick too, I would. Be surprised if he made it to us. Just gotta hope last year's draft was a blip. I think PDay could be proven right, Mazi and Schoony might still end up being players, and I 100% think Overshown will be. I do think that most of us are thinking we need at least 2 starters and 2 rotational guys from this draft. If we get from this draft what we did from last years, we might be staring at 9-8. So big draft to be sure

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newton would be a great pick too, I would. Be surprised if he made it to us. Just gotta hope last year's draft was a blip. I think PDay could be proven right, Mazi and Schoony might still end up being players, and I 100% think Overshown will be. I do think that most of us are thinking we need at least 2 starters and 2 rotational guys from this draft. If we get from this draft what we did from last years, we might be staring at 9-8. So big draft to be sure
Schoonmaker is a nice player. I not saying he stinks. Yeah he made a mistake in the Eagle game and did not run a deep enough route to make it into the end zone. But if you look closely at that play he got tackled before the ball got to him.

Schoonmaker is a much better prospect than Escobar was. But the problem I had is we had a #1 TE already on the roster. Ferguson is the man now. Ferguson is a better player than Schultz IMO

Overshown I hope is recovered. Lot of potential

Mazi better be eating some big Mac's is all I can say.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What worries me about Mazi is nothing we heard about him showed up on the field. Nothing. Legendary strength? Well he lost 30lbs and was pushed all over the place and looked like the weakest DT on the field. Incredible athletic ability? Where? Even after losing weight there was almost no penetration nor ability to move laterally. He looked more like Trysten Hill than he did a 1st round pick. Here's to hoping he takes a huge leap forward and we all know many 2nd year guys do, but anyone assuming it is going to happen is doing so based on nothing they saw on the field last year because we didn't even see any "once in a while flashes". Will this team just hand him the starting job without drafting or signing another player even after how horrible he was last year? Probably, because that's how the Jones Boyz do it. Just keep reminding us he was a first round pick and all will be better. Meanwhile, I'm stuck praying that the guy who shows up this year is about 30 levels above the guy who showed up last year. I know one thing for sure and that is that I wouldn't go through free agency and the draft without getting some security in case what we saw is what we have...