• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Draft: Day 2 Grades

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a little worried when the Lions took Gibbs so highly in the draft last year. So far it's been a home run pick, but he has only played 1 year, so we'll see if he can keep producing for the next 3-4 years.

I think my opinion about RB's now is to try and draft a great one early, use him for 4-5 years and either trade him, or let him go. In the NFL over the past decade, dropping a lot of money on RB on his second contract doesn't often work out very well for guys not named McCaffrey. (although I'm sure I'm forgetting someone from the past 10 years)
quickest rb in the nfl.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
quickest rb in the nfl.

Lot's of Lion's fans were not happy, with many questioning why the Lions let go of Swift and used a first round pick to get Gibbs. In hindsight, it was a GREAT move. Swift was coming up on his second contract, so the Lions just decided to trade him away before having to pay him.

They did the same thing with TE Hockenson too, trading him to the Vikings for a nice haul of draft picks. It's proven to be a good move too. Maybe that will start to be the way teams operate, trying to keep some positions on the team on a rookie contract.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe that will start to be the way teams operate, trying to keep some positions on the team on a rookie contract.
Chiefs have been in this mode for awhile. I think the Chiefs have only given 1 multi-year deal to a player that Veach has drafted and it was after he tested the market and no one wanted him. Dorsey drafted the stars (Mahomes with some help) and Veach keeps the machine running.

You can only pay so many stars.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles get the A+ for breaking the color barrier on Cornerbacks. They brought in the first white Corner of the 21st century and will get a comp pick next season for a diversity and inclusion hiring.
Riley Moss is so oppressed he can't even get credit for breaking the color barrier a year earlier.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs have been in this mode for awhile. I think the Chiefs have only given 1 multi-year deal to a player that Veach has drafted and it was after he tested the market and no one wanted him. Dorsey drafted the stars (Mahomes with some help) and Veach keeps the machine running.

To be successful at it requires your team to have depth. You can't dump off players coming up on a second contract and backfill it if you also need to fill in spots in multiple other spots. Chiefs have been there for some time, if you had told me the Lions had that kind of depth going into the draft last year I would have assumed insanity. I guess that is why Holmes is the GM and I am not.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Getting rid of Hill for all those draft picks looked risky at the time, but it really was a GREAT move. I think the key to a healthy, successful team is having A LOT of young talent. Now, there are key positions that you need to invest heavily into, but I imagine most positions could be a "plug and play" with rookies in a healthy organization.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. If you don't nail a bonafide big offensive producer when picking an RB early in the draft, it's not a good pick. You can get good production from RB's later in the draft.

I think it's definitely a lottery ticket pick many times these days.
FOR THE MOST PART, RB is almost entirely a system position. Of course there are exceptions (C-Mac), but it is too dependent on the rest of the roster and play calling to be a smart high pick. How often do we see 4th, 5th, 6th round RBs become star-ish in the NFL?

IMHO, RB is almost in the kicker category as far as the draft goes.

(exceptions exist…)

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot's of Lion's fans were not happy, with many questioning why the Lions let go of Swift and used a first round pick to get Gibbs. In hindsight, it was a GREAT move. Swift was coming up on his second contract, so the Lions just decided to trade him away before having to pay him.

They did the same thing with TE Hockenson too, trading him to the Vikings for a nice haul of draft picks. It's proven to be a good move too. Maybe that will start to be the way teams operate, trying to keep some positions on the team on a rookie contract.
TE not a good position to do it since most take til age 26 to be good.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a little worried when the Lions took Gibbs so highly in the draft last year. So far it's been a home run pick, but he has only played 1 year, so we'll see if he can keep producing for the next 3-4 years.

I think my opinion about RB's now is to try and draft a great one early, use him for 4-5 years and either trade him, or let him go. In the NFL over the past decade, dropping a lot of money on RB on his second contract doesn't often work out very well for guys not named McCaffrey. (although I'm sure I'm forgetting someone from the past 10 years)
I'm beginning to think I'm the only non-Lions fan who actually thought they had an excellent draft last year. I still recall how many sports sites and analysts gave Detroit an 'F' for their grade. And even many of those who didn't flunk them still gave them a less-than-glowing grade and evaluation.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
quickest rb in the nfl.
Same thing they are saying about Guerendo with the 49ers this year. These guys somehow fall under the radar. The guy who led the NCAa in rushing at Missouri this year didn’t even get drafted. Niners got him as a freecGent

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same thing they are saying about Guerendo with the 49ers this year. These guys somehow fall under the radar. The guy who led the NCAa in rushing at Missouri this year didn’t even get drafted. Niners got him as a freecGent
best teams find ways to get the best players.san fran,s been doing that 50 years it seems

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my meaningless Chiefs grade:

28. Xavier Worthy C+
65. Kinglsey Suamataia A+
131. Jared Wiley A
133. Jaden Hicks A+
159. Hunter Nourzad B
211. Kamal Hadden B+

Best UDFA pickups: Curtis Jacobs LB, Fabien Lovett DT. I think both of those players were draftable. I'm not too familiar with the rest of the UDFAs.

I do like Worthy and I dont think the Chiefs gave up much for trading up but he wasn't my personal favorite WR at that point. I'm sure the Chiefs will make me feel silly for typing that in a few months so Im hoping its an A+.

I think its possible the Chiefs would've picked Wiley in rd3 so the trade up probably didnt lose them any value.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy who led the NCAa in rushing at Missouri this year didn’t even get drafted. Niners got him as a freecGent
2nd best player on Mizzou and didn't get drafted. The NFL is just a different sport altogether because its hard to wrap my head around that.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd best player on Mizzou and didn't get drafted. The NFL is just a different sport altogether because its hard to wrap my head around that.
Makes you wonder what they are looking for

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm beginning to think I'm the only non-Lions fan who actually thought they had an excellent draft last year. I still recall how many sports sites and analysts gave Detroit an 'F' for their grade. And even many of those who didn't flunk them still gave them a less-than-glowing grade and evaluation.
I think everyone agreed they got talented players, just outraged at positional value. This is still a decent critique to make, to me it felt like those are picks you make when your team is already ready to compete. I did no think they had hit that point yet....I was very wrong.