• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2023 Lions regular season game thread

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor has it Decker and Monty both available Thursday. That would be the bees knees

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team seems to be trending in the right direction, especially on Defense, with sacks (finally) coming about last week. If they can get pressure on Love early and often the three game winning streak against GB should extend to four. Going undefeated on Thursday games this year would be delightful. It’s looking to be a two horse race in the NFC North, and the Lions see GB twice on Thursday games.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Thursday is first of 2 Thursday games this regular season for Lions/Packers... last time I read that same 2 teams met twice on a Thursday in a season was 1926 (Chicago Bears vs Chicago Cardinals).

My Packers comments:
- Packers very young, still unsure what to expect from this team week to week.
- Youngest team in the league, only 2 players over 30 (30, 31)
- Gave up 12 pt 4th quarter lead and lost to Falcons and then following week losing 17-0 to enter 4th and won the game
- Packers #2 in league in # penalties and penalty yardage... again the inexperience probably showing
- Packers have a lot of injuries
- 3 starting OL on the injury report... Jenkins (pro bowl guard) I am sure is out, All pro LT Bakhtiari just never know any more.. still was DNP on injury report today, Zach Tom knee injury late in Saints game was LP today, honestly would be surprised if he plays.
- 2 CBs with injuries - Alexander all pro CB missed last game for back... was LP today and Valentine #3 CB injured last game was LP today... if neither can play I would expect Lions receivers will have big days... Stokes who is normally #3 still on IR so we are scraping bottom of barrel.
- Devondre Campbell starting ILB injured last game still DNP today
- WR Watson - this guy cannot seem to get on the field, was LP today, rumors are did not want to push to Sunday with Thursday game
- RB A. Jones - this could be huge if Packers can get him back... Packers offense seems night and day without him. Dillon is disappointing and other 2 options do not appear to be much.. Packers run game really goes downhill without Jones.

- J. Love is playing better than I anticipated this early in season. Does not get rattled, stays in pocket, gets through his reads and can scramble some if needed . Does sail some passes at times, completion % for season is only 53% and has had some communication issues at key times in games.

- Receivers (wide and TEs) - all young... all WRs either 2nd year or rookies.
- Doubs and Reed (rookie) I like for now. Unsure if Doubs will ever be true #1.. but at minimum think he could be good #2. Reed impressed first 2 games.. very quick, but vs Saints had some drops, but then made a spectacular grab.
- Watson as noted cannot stay on field.. may be a Home Run hitter it.. all the talent, can stretch field and make big plays.. but drops several easy catches as well
- Musgrave at TE (rookie) is already looking good... very big and fast and makes some tough catches... Love has missed him on a couple throws up the seam very open that should have been very big gains. Not much else to worry about from TEs catching the ball.

Defense:
- LBs
- R. Gary looks good again.... took some time to develop and coming off injury from last year so still on rep count, but when he is on the field he is playing at high level.
- Q. Walker fast at ILB.. appears to be taking next step and starting to play faster.. hopefully avoids bone headed incidents
- P. Smith very consistent... Van Ness the 1st round pick already making some noise on pass rush downs, but a development player like Gary
- I thought DL would be much more stout this year... Clark still the best player, but some decent depth finally with Slayton, Wyatt (2nd year) and 2 rookies. However... Falcons ran all over Packers and felt like deja vu... Bears and Saints at least both struggled to run the ball
- Safties - weakness going into season for Packers... Savage playing better than last year, Ford at other spot is big liability IMO
- CBs - can see injuries noted above.. if Alexander can play that helps... Douglas is good #2.... but if Alexander and Valentine cannot play could get ugly. Balentine (not Valentine) is another rookie and did not look good when came on after Valentine injury. Nixon is speedy slot CB.

Special teams:
- rookie P and K... Carlson (K) had ups and downs in preason, has yet to miss in regular season
- Already gave up a punt return... this may be due all the inexperience and special teams may be work in process again

Hoping for good game with no injuries.

Best to the Lions this season.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darrell Daniels signed off practice squad, looks like getting a shot after FB. I hope he crushes it.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Thursday is first of 2 Thursday games this regular season for Lions/Packers... last time I read that same 2 teams met twice on a Thursday in a season was 1926 (Chicago Bears vs Chicago Cardinals).

My Packers comments:
- Packers very young, still unsure what to expect from this team week to week.
- Youngest team in the league, only 2 players over 30 (30, 31)
- Gave up 12 pt 4th quarter lead and lost to Falcons and then following week losing 17-0 to enter 4th and won the game
- Packers #2 in league in # penalties and penalty yardage... again the inexperience probably showing
- Packers have a lot of injuries
- 3 starting OL on the injury report... Jenkins (pro bowl guard) I am sure is out, All pro LT Bakhtiari just never know any more.. still was DNP on injury report today, Zach Tom knee injury late in Saints game was LP today, honestly would be surprised if he plays.
- 2 CBs with injuries - Alexander all pro CB missed last game for back... was LP today and Valentine #3 CB injured last game was LP today... if neither can play I would expect Lions receivers will have big days... Stokes who is normally #3 still on IR so we are scraping bottom of barrel.
- Devondre Campbell starting ILB injured last game still DNP today
- WR Watson - this guy cannot seem to get on the field, was LP today, rumors are did not want to push to Sunday with Thursday game
- RB A. Jones - this could be huge if Packers can get him back... Packers offense seems night and day without him. Dillon is disappointing and other 2 options do not appear to be much.. Packers run game really goes downhill without Jones.

- J. Love is playing better than I anticipated this early in season. Does not get rattled, stays in pocket, gets through his reads and can scramble some if needed . Does sail some passes at times, completion % for season is only 53% and has had some communication issues at key times in games.

- Receivers (wide and TEs) - all young... all WRs either 2nd year or rookies.
- Doubs and Reed (rookie) I like for now. Unsure if Doubs will ever be true #1.. but at minimum think he could be good #2. Reed impressed first 2 games.. very quick, but vs Saints had some drops, but then made a spectacular grab.
- Watson as noted cannot stay on field.. may be a Home Run hitter it.. all the talent, can stretch field and make big plays.. but drops several easy catches as well
- Musgrave at TE (rookie) is already looking good... very big and fast and makes some tough catches... Love has missed him on a couple throws up the seam very open that should have been very big gains. Not much else to worry about from TEs catching the ball.

Defense:
- LBs
- R. Gary looks good again.... took some time to develop and coming off injury from last year so still on rep count, but when he is on the field he is playing at high level.
- Q. Walker fast at ILB.. appears to be taking next step and starting to play faster.. hopefully avoids bone headed incidents
- P. Smith very consistent... Van Ness the 1st round pick already making some noise on pass rush downs, but a development player like Gary
- I thought DL would be much more stout this year... Clark still the best player, but some decent depth finally with Slayton, Wyatt (2nd year) and 2 rookies. However... Falcons ran all over Packers and felt like deja vu... Bears and Saints at least both struggled to run the ball
- Safties - weakness going into season for Packers... Savage playing better than last year, Ford at other spot is big liability IMO
- CBs - can see injuries noted above.. if Alexander can play that helps... Douglas is good #2.... but if Alexander and Valentine cannot play could get ugly. Balentine (not Valentine) is another rookie and did not look good when came on after Valentine injury. Nixon is speedy slot CB.

Special teams:
- rookie P and K... Carlson (K) had ups and downs in preason, has yet to miss in regular season
- Already gave up a punt return... this may be due all the inexperience and special teams may be work in process again

Hoping for good game with no injuries.

Best to the Lions this season.
This first game both teams have so many injuries that it is almost our practice squads playing each other. We are almost as young as well. Anything can happen.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You will have to find a stream to watch unless you have Amazon.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great first quarter. Lions looking poised after that initial turnover. Now on to the second quarter starting in the red zone, knocking on the door for the third score.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
….and settle for a FG. Still, it’s points on the board. Hopefully Detroit’s D remains stout.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Branch is "just" a nickel back but he's gotta be right up there for defensive rookie of the year so far. Been phenomenal.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Branch is "just" a nickel back but he's gotta be right up there for defensive rookie of the year so far. Been phenomenal.
And Herbstreit beats me to it.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I question the last play getting off before the end of the 3rd quarter. Of course, if Detroit would have ran down the clock when they punted, this may not have happened. Still, up two scores going into the fourth, it’s time for the Lions to step it up.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First they take a promising pass rusher and make him a sub par LB with Houston. Now they're doing if with Hutchinson? WTF! It's one of the hardest positions to fill in the NFL, and also one of the most Important. Get your ass on the line, pin your ears back and rush the passer.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that was unexpected. Officials got a call right instead of moving along, and then the offense converting it to another TD.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First they take a promising pass rusher and make him a sub par LB with Houston. Now they're doing if with Hutchinson? WTF! It's one of the hardest positions to fill in the NFL, and also one of the most Important. Get your ass on the line, pin your ears back and rush the passer.
TJ Watt, Micah Parsons, Tyus Bowser, Clowney, and Judon all regularly drop into coverage and are good at it. They all absolutely pin their ears back and get after it, but viewing a complete player as a detriment is a weird take.

And Houston ability to be on the field was limited to very specific situations, he needed to learn the rest of the game so they could play him more. And by all accounts he made a lot of progress. Lions are right on this for both accounts

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
113 of Montgomery's 121 yards came after contact.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
113 of Montgomery's 121 yards came after contact.
I dont like that we used him so much. No reason to have him out there up 3 scores in the 4th. 30+ touches a game is too much. Lets save some for the playoffs. Same with Goff. Teddy B is a vet who can handle that easily.

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is JaMo's Hammy feeling?