• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2023 Lions regular season game thread

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Thanksgiving Lions' fans...may your turkey be moist and sides delishous .... don't eat too much and fall asleep during the game...good luck tomorrow...but not too much
You as well.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been very critical of him but I think he could grow into a decent one. He was not ready to be a starter this year. I think that Vanderdoody guy from Dallas could help him. They have similar bodies and playing styles.
He is around the ball a lot because his instincts are pretty solid, and his tackling is very good.

Once he gets closer to yhe play he seems to lose focus and fails at gap discipline.

I think he just needs some time. I believe in 2-3 years he will be the best LB we had since Levy.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow this was a putrid first half. Turnovers and shitty D. This team might win the division but if something does not change we will bounced in the first playoff game.

Also sick of all the genius crap when it comes to Ben Johnson. Pack had 10 guys in the box and he still tried a lot of runs and WR screens. Everyone in the world knows how to defend this now. Take what the defense gives. There is enough talent on offense to shred teams doing that.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lotta rage around these parts, mostly IMO because people convinced themselves that something magic was going to happen. This team is scrappy as fuck. Definitely biting kneecaps on the way down and the way back up. For the first time in a very long time, we have a complete team too. There's no giant glaring holes. And we have a couple superstars or potential superstars. But this is a team that should be fighting for a wildcard or potentially a division title. Lots of people disappointed because we're probably not the team that's gonna fight for #1 seed and homefield throughout.

But the first step is making the playoffs and once you're there anything can happen. But look at the other teams that should be at the top of the divisions and conferences. KC has the best QB in football. Philly had a team that should fight for wild cards and divisions. Then they traded for Big Play Slay. They drafted a playmaker WR and traded for another. They added DeAndre Swift. San Fran had a solid team already then they have added McCaffery, Chase Young, Randy Gregory. What did the Lions do? Signed retired Bruce Irvin off the couch?

Luckily this year we still can hope for a better outcome. If this was past seasons we would just be discussing what we need to do in the future. Now we can still make the playoffs possibly and from there we can still play a perfect game and beat anyone. And then start discussing who we need to sign and or draft. I'm trying not to get worked up. I have enough years of watching dogshit, that I can find some pleasure still on being an also ran. A couple years of mediocrity and I can see being upset, but almost all we know in Detroit is being terrible. Let's enjoy the simple fact that this year we're not terrible. Maybe not great, but definitely not terrible.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow this was a putrid first half. Turnovers and shitty D. This team might win the division but if something does not change we will bounced in the first playoff game.

Also sick of all the genius crap when it comes to Ben Johnson. Pack had 10 guys in the box and he still tried a lot of runs and WR screens. Everyone in the world knows how to defend this now. Take what the defense gives. There is enough talent on offense to shred teams doing that.
Was texting with a friend during the game. Almost the same exact reaction as he had.

His kids call him Dad. His wife calls him Rob. You might think of him as Swarm.

Have some awesome news for everybody. Blue is still with us!

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was texting with a friend during the game. Almost the same exact reaction as he had.

That is awesome, does he have plans to come back to the forum?

As far as the game goes, the defense is terrible, the offense is good enough to cover for it when Goff does not turn it over. The offense being good is more due to the players than Johnson. I no longer view him getting a HC gig as devastating to the team

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is awesome, does he have plans to come back to the forum?

As far as the game goes, the defense is terrible, the offense is good enough to cover for it when Goff does not turn it over. The offense being good is more due to the players than Johnson. I no longer view him getting a HC gig as devastating to the team
I’m hoping he eventually does. But doesn’t sound like it will be real soon.

Goff being an average starting QB definitely changes things compared to the stretch when he could do no wrong.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense tightened up in the 2nd half. The only score was the one Campbell gave them.

Campbell is too aggressive.
I felt like he was looking to take blame for the game when it got out of hand on that one. Don't worry about the bad play, it is all the fake punt!

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ARSB makes something like 52 grand per game. Assuming that's the gross. Taxes come off the top. He pays his agent a percentage. Body on the line, and players only have a limited lifespan making this money.

I've been shocked many times by the amount they fine practice squad guys in preseason or some young guys who are never gonna stick around long enough to make it back.

But if you're going to fine a guy 5+% of his annual salary for one fucking snap in one game, you better damn well make sure it's something egregious. I guarantee. GUARANTEE!!!!! that i could find 10 or more of that exact play this season that weren't fined. And you know you can go through multiple years of football and not one other player has ever been fined for that play. It's literally fucking horseshit. I don't know why the players union let's the league get away with this stuff. It's like the NFL itself tries its absolute hardest to kill this league. But Americans just love football too much. They keep fucking it up, but we keep watching.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I felt like he was looking to take blame for the game when it got out of hand on that one. Don't worry about the bad play, it is all the fake punt!

Don't worry about the 8-3 record, the Lions aren't leading 21-0 at half every game and pulling away in the 2nd half, so they still suck!

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry about the 8-3 record, the Lions aren't leading 21-0 at half every game and pulling away in the 2nd half, so they still suck!
I was referencing 1 game where they absolutely played like ass, and you want to try and turn that into a complaint for the entire season? Have at it chief. You totally win the argument I didn't make.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referencing 1 game where they absolutely played like ass, and you want to try and turn that into a complaint for the entire season? Have at it chief. You totally win the argument I didn't make.

You've been bagging on the Lions all season. You bagged on their draft. Don't give me that 'argument nobody made' crap. It's starting to wear thin.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've been bagging on the Lions all season. You bagged on their draft. Don't give me that 'argument nobody made' crap. It's starting to wear thin.
My literal quote from the game was the defense was bad but the offense was good enough to cover when Goff does not turn it over. I am on record thinking they will win the division and potentially a playoff game.

I can't imagine being so soft that you think mild criticism of certain aspects condemns the whole. You are a record setting little bitch.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks Smitty. Best gift I could have got this holiday season.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Refs and NFL suck. Apparently they dont seem to care so much about hands to the face ARSB got on the same play. Or the use of the helmet where Hulu almost got his arm broken on a kickoff return.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF not far off this time. A bit harsh on Anzelone and way too generous with Harris. Harris was nowhere to be found all day although they pretty much reduced him to a dozen plays a game now. He is nothing more than a relief player and should be gone next year.

Highest and Lowest PFF Grades from Week 12​

Share this article​

450 shares

tweet

email

USATSI_21959462.jpg

Detroit Lions quarterback Jared Goff hands the ball off to running back Jahmyr Gibbs against the Green Bay Packers during the first half at Ford Field in Detroit on Thursday, Nov. 23, 2023.
aharbaugh

November 24, 2023 4:59 pm ET

Betr SportsBET NOW
Double Your First Deposit Up To $500 in Betr Bucks Promo Code: BETWIRE
Must be 21+ and physically located in a jurisdiction where Betr Picks operates to participate. T&Cs Apply.

Thanksgiving came and went with Lions fans wanting to forget as much of it as they can. For the team themselves, this will be a benchmark game that is reflected upon as the season goes on and how it turns out.
The loss to the Packers opens up the division a little bit for rest of the teams outside the Bears. The Packers and Vikings now cling to slim playoff chances, whereas the Lions now face an uphill battle to a top seed in the NFC.
When you look at this game closer through the PFF lens, you get a different and deeper understanding from the analytics. Especially in a game like this where the score shows one thing, the film shows another, the numbers can help bring the picture to a complete understanding.

Highest Graded Offensive Players​

• David Montgomery 90.8
  • Penei Sewell 89.4
  • Kalif Raymond 84.1
  • Dan Skipper 81.4
  • Frank Ragnow 74

Lowest Graded Offensive Players​

• Kayode Awosika 30.8
  • Graham Glasgow 41.8
  • Donovan Peoples-Jones 43.8
  • Colby Sorsdal 48.2
  • Jared Goff 52.7

Highest Graded Defensive Players​

• Josh Paschal 78.3
  • Jack Campbell 74.3
  • Aiden Hutchison 71.7
  • Derrick Barnes 70.8
  • John Cominsky 68.5

Lowest Graded Defensive Players​

• Quinton Bohanna 36.8
  • Jerry Jacobs 40.1
  • Alex Anzalone 47.6
  • Tracy Walker 49.4
  • Charles Harris 55.1

Special Teams Grades​

• Jake McQuaide 62.1
  • Riley Patterson 60
  • Jack Fox 60

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My literal quote from the game was the defense was bad but the offense was good enough to cover when Goff does not turn it over. I am on record thinking they will win the division and potentially a playoff game.

I can't imagine being so soft that you think mild criticism of certain aspects condemns the whole. You are a record setting little bitch.

You're a miserable old bastard because dammit that glass is always half empty.

Remember when you quit the Fantrax league because you could never make the playoffs? Always finished in the bottom half of the league. I guess it made your great player evaluations look bad. Talk about a record setting quitter bitch.