• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melvin Ingram goes to Miami.

A lot has been made of the buildup in the AFCW but Miami is definitely putting all of their chips in to challenge the Bills.

Reactions: DJ

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Packer's have quietly assembled what could be the best defense in football this upcoming season. And this move will free up cap space to go out and get a vet WR for Rodgers.
Imo, I'd rather have Jaire Alexander for 4 years than Denzel Ward for 5 at the same price each year basically. Probably both good contracts but the closer you get to 30 with a CB the more leery Id get

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A lot has been made of the buildup in the AFCW but Miami is definitely putting all of their chips in to challenge the Bills.
Yes they are, definitely can make some noise but in the end, the Bills have Josh Allen and the Dolphins still have Tua. I don't think he is their long-term answer but if they can see improvement and he can stay healthy they are still a playoff team. Not a championship contender like Buffalo though.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, I'd rather have Jaire Alexander for 4 years than Denzel Ward for 5 at the same price each year basically. Probably both good contracts but the closer you get to 30 with a CB the more leery Id get
For Ward the Browns have an out in 2026 when he will be 28. $11M dead cap. 2017 - 29 only $3m dead cap. Late 20's isn't old but it's always been about minor injuries with Ward. Missing a game here and there. Either way most of these contracts are built a certain way so they can restructure regardless. I doubt they pay the $27M and $24M in the last two years but who knows that could be a nice bargain by that time unless he regresses bigtime.

It will be interesting to see what the end of Jaire's contract looks like as far as dead cap or if they have an out year making this essentially a nice 3 year deal.

It's interesting though, according to PFF Ward had the better year last year. Jaire had an amazing year in 2020 though. Right now I would put Jaire as the better CB but it's not overwhelming.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Ward the Browns have an out in 2026 when he will be 28. $11M dead cap. 2017 - 29 only $3m dead cap. Late 20's isn't old but it's always been about minor injuries with Ward. Missing a game here and there. Either way most of these contracts are built a certain way so they can restructure regardless. I doubt they pay the $27M and $24M in the last two years but who knows that could be a nice bargain by that time unless he regresses bigtime.

It will be interesting to see what the end of Jaire's contract looks like as far as dead cap or if they have an out year making this essentially a nice 3 year deal.

It's interesting though, according to PFF Ward had the better year last year. Jaire had an amazing year in 2020 though. Right now I would put Jaire as the better CB but it's not overwhelming.

Jaire only played 4 games last season before having surgery. But did make it back for a playoff game. But I believe played sparingly.

I havent seen enough of Ward to make a judgement call really. But I do know that Jaire would be the 2nd CB in the league that I would take personally if I had my choice (Ramsey the obvious #1).

Packers have the best CB crew in the NFL. Dont even think that it can be debated. Stokes looks like he is going to be an all pro sooner rather than later too. Add in Douglas who played great for them last season and their backend is just crazy good compared to the rest of the league.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jaire only played 4 games last season before having surgery. But did make it back for a playoff game. But I believe played sparingly.

I havent seen enough of Ward to make a judgement call really. But I do know that Jaire would be the 2nd CB in the league that I would take personally if I had my choice (Ramsey the obvious #1).

Packers have the best CB crew in the NFL. Dont even think that it can be debated. Stokes looks like he is going to be an all pro sooner rather than later too. Add in Douglas who played great for them last season and their backend is just crazy good compared to the rest of the league.
Well I didn't know he missed that many games. What's more games than Ward has missed his entire career. I have no clue who is better now or long-term but it makes sense for both teams.

Both teams have great CB units.

The Browns now 4th string CB was the #1 PFF CB and he was undrafted. I don't care about PFF ratings but still a nice get for an undrafted guy. Greedy has improved and hopefully healthy and Greg Newsome could very well be a top 5 CB in the next couple years I believe. The kid is that good.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they are, definitely can make some noise but in the end, the Bills have Josh Allen and the Dolphins still have Tua. I don't think he is their long-term answer but if they can see improvement and he can stay healthy they are still a playoff team. Not a championship contender like Buffalo though.
They're basically banking on Josh Allen having an off year and Tua improving. Vegas would certainly agree with your take, though.

I do think there is some upside with sticking Tua with 2 WRs that are always open if the issue with Tua is that he only likes throwing to guys who are open. But it also wouldn't stun me if Tua was the worst QB in the AFC.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saints FO this offseason is one of the biggest example of malfeasance that we have seen in the NFL the last couple of years (no one is going to top Bill O'Brien anytime soon).

They are just creating headache after headache for themselves down the road by continually kicking the can down the road on contracts. Already have almost $290M of a cap hit heading into next season and $215M+ in 2025.

And unless they know something about Thomas not playing this season again, what is the point of Landry? Olave, Thomas, Landry on the field at the same time. All are short area WR's that cant take the top off a defense. If they still had Drew Brees maybe that would be OK. But they have Winston. And his strength isn't getting the ball out quickly to short area WR's.

And trading a 1st rounder next year for a 1st rounder this year is hilarious. Next year is going to be a killer draft. This year was meh.

And they did all that for what? Their absolute best possible outcome this coming season is what....one and done in the playoffs? And the more likely outcome is them having a rough season. This is a classic case of a FO mortgaging the future of the franchise just in an attempt to save their own job.

Edit: And I read that signing Andy Dalton in March is essentially going to cost them a 3rd round comp pick back from Armstead. Not sure if that is true or not.

I reserve the right to have this post deleted if Drew Brees really wasnt kidding about coming back and playing and all the moves they made this offseason was to entice him back from the booth.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I reserve the right to have this post deleted if Drew Brees really wasnt kidding about coming back and playing and all the moves they made this offseason was to entice him back from the booth.
I think it's all bs. His arm did look shot but for what they have now at WR, it makes sense. Landry and Thomas are both underneath, possession WR's. Olave has some over the top ability but really another guy you can depend on as an efficient route runner and possession guy. All that makes sense for Brees but I'm not buying it.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's all bs. His arm did look shot but for what they have now at WR, it makes sense. Landry and Thomas are both underneath, possession WR's. Olave has some over the top ability but really another guy you can depend on as an efficient route runner and possession guy. All that makes sense for Brees but I'm not buying it.

Does Olave have over the top ability? I've seen a lot of Ohio State games and I never really saw it. Sure he ran a 4.39. But a lot of guys who run a 4.39 cant take the top off a defense.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Olave have over the top ability? I've seen a lot of Ohio State games and I never really saw it. Sure he ran a 4.39. But a lot of guys who run a 4.39 cant take the top off a defense.
He does bc he has underrated speed but like I said, he really isn’t that guy. Wilson is that guy. Also, hard to tell in an Ohio St offense that had so many weapons guys can get open deep. Either way, his best trait is a route runner

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does bc he has underrated speed but like I said, he really isn’t that guy. Wilson is that guy. Also, hard to tell in an Ohio St offense that had so many weapons guys can get open deep. Either way, his best trait is a route runner

As an Ohio St and College football fan. Who is the better route runner? Olave or Dotson from Penn st?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an Ohio St and College football fan. Who is the better route runner? Olave or Dotson from Penn st?
Olave was a better route runner than most.

It's a tough comparison because Olave was always open and Dotson had to work for the ball

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know much about Dotson’s route running but I feel Olave is the most polished route runner in the draft. Who will be a better NFL player? No idea honestly

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know much about Dotson’s route running but I feel Olave is the most polished route runner in the draft. Who will be a better NFL player? No idea honestly

I was just curious b/c you are a Ohio St fan. It seemed that Dotson had his best games against you guys. lol

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Olave was a better route runner than most.

It's a tough comparison because Olave was always open and Dotson had to work for the ball

Dotson had a worst offense and worst QB too. That should factor in.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostert is a walking bruise and Edmonds has always been a committee back; Michel has a real shot at meaningful carries (pending decisions on Gaskin and Almed).
Starter most likely.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michel was waiting for the Rams draft most likely before moving on. He visited the Saints and Dolphins afterwards.

Edmonds was more productive per play last season, but Michel had far more touches (229-159) with more TDs (5-2).

Mostert has managed one 16 game season, and that only amounted to 151 touches and has only topped 100 touches twice. He lasted 2 carries last year. Counting on Mostert for anything is ill-advised and requires a back-up plan at the ready.

Ingold is a FB and not really in this discussion.
Mostert is 30 as well. RB's don't get better at that age.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interested to see if Buffalo takes a step back after losing Daboll.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're basically banking on Josh Allen having an off year and Tua improving. Vegas would certainly agree with your take, though.

I do think there is some upside with sticking Tua with 2 WRs that are always open if the issue with Tua is that he only likes throwing to guys who are open. But it also wouldn't stun me if Tua was the worst QB in the AFC.
Tua is going to have a good year IMO.

They will run the ball, work the clock, and throw to Hill and Waddle and let them make plays YAC. Lots of signal callers who haven't had great arms but are good because they have playmakers.