• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or Winston last season with the Saints in what.....the 5th game? Ruined their season when they couldn't field competent QB play.
but this isnt as funny to point out to a Vikings fan :becky:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are talking about success, why are we even talking about trading for Mayfield when I can have Garoppolo.

Between supply and demand currently, cap space, where rosters are set, the fact that Baker is a FA after this season.....add it ALL up and RIGHT NOW, Baker isnt worth near as much you think he is IMO.

Maybe Cleveland will be able to find someone who thinks like you and actually find a deal. But I am completely skeptical.
I never said RIGHT NOW he's that valuable but watch, a starter or 2 get hurt.....there will be a feeding frenzy if Baker is sitting at home waiting for the Browns to deal him.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm..... What year was it when the Vikes traded for Bradford?
Image result for thinking gif
True, but Bradford made Wentz look sturdy.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dolphins had already made 3 'big name', 'big money' signings at RB. Michel doesn't add anything to that backfield. I hope the Dolphins got him cheap with minimal guarantees because he may not make the roster. I wish Michel well after 2022 but this looks like a retirement nest egg move.

Mostert is a walking bruise and Edmonds has always been a committee back; Michel has a real shot at meaningful carries (pending decisions on Gaskin and Almed).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if we can just get @DJ to understand we could put this puppy to bed.

That's not to say Baker lacks value, just that the Browns played their hand poorly. He is a starting quality QB in the NFL regardless of the Browns' lack of leverage.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostert is a walking bruise and Edmonds has always been a committee back; Michel has a real shot at meaningful carries (pending decisions on Gaskin and Almed).
I'll take that SportsHoopla Cash wager. I don't see Michel getting 60 carries or 140 offensive snaps for the Dolphins. Gaskin is an $800K player on a $2.54M contract and Almed is currently #6 on the RB depth chart. To remain on the roster Gaskin has to be better, cheaper, or better value for money than Michel. Michel is a #4 RB May addition at $1.75M, (with what looks like just $350K guaranteed). I'm struggling to think of a RB who was brought in as a #4 RB this late into the preseason who ended up making a significant contribution - maybe Bobby Rainey in 2013?. Gaskin may not want to accept a big pay cut to remain on the Dolphins roster. He may prefer to be a FA in August. Michel is presumably just an insurance policy if either Edmonds, Mostert, or Ingold aren't able to start the season. Keeping Michel as the #4 RB certainly isn't out of the question with a $1.4M salary in a run-heavy offense, but I won't be surprised if Michel, Gaskin and Almed are all gone before Week 1.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michel was waiting for the Rams draft most likely before moving on. He visited the Saints and Dolphins afterwards.

Edmonds was more productive per play last season, but Michel had far more touches (229-159) with more TDs (5-2).

Mostert has managed one 16 game season, and that only amounted to 151 touches and has only topped 100 touches twice. He lasted 2 carries last year. Counting on Mostert for anything is ill-advised and requires a back-up plan at the ready.

Ingold is a FB and not really in this discussion.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread still needs a lot more posts! There is so much talent on the free agent market still.

I dont remember this much being out there in previous years.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad he didn't go to Baltimore

Saints grabbing Landry, Honey Badger and trading into this years draft to get Olave and an OT really makes them intriguing next year. Especially if they continue to give Brady issues.

I'm not a fan of them going all in with the draft but they're at least putting an interesting team on the field if Michael Thomas is playing

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saints grabbing Landry, Honey Badger and trading into this years draft to get Olave and an OT really makes them intriguing next year. Especially if they continue to give Brady issues.

I'm not a fan of them going all in with the draft but they're at least putting an interesting team on the field if Michael Thomas is playing

Saints FO this offseason is one of the biggest example of malfeasance that we have seen in the NFL the last couple of years (no one is going to top Bill O'Brien anytime soon).

They are just creating headache after headache for themselves down the road by continually kicking the can down the road on contracts. Already have almost $290M of a cap hit heading into next season and $215M+ in 2025.

And unless they know something about Thomas not playing this season again, what is the point of Landry? Olave, Thomas, Landry on the field at the same time. All are short area WR's that cant take the top off a defense. If they still had Drew Brees maybe that would be OK. But they have Winston. And his strength isn't getting the ball out quickly to short area WR's.

And trading a 1st rounder next year for a 1st rounder this year is hilarious. Next year is going to be a killer draft. This year was meh.

And they did all that for what? Their absolute best possible outcome this coming season is what....one and done in the playoffs? And the more likely outcome is them having a rough season. This is a classic case of a FO mortgaging the future of the franchise just in an attempt to save their own job.

Edit: And I read that signing Andy Dalton in March is essentially going to cost them a 3rd round comp pick back from Armstead. Not sure if that is true or not.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saints FO this offseason is one of the biggest example of malfeasance that we have seen in the NFL the last couple of years (no one is going to top Bill O'Brien anytime soon).

They are just creating headache after headache for themselves down the road by continually kicking the can down the road on contracts. Already have almost $290M of a cap hit heading into next season and $215M+ in 2025.

And unless they know something about Thomas not playing this season again, what is the point of Landry? Olave, Thomas, Landry on the field at the same time. All are short area WR's that cant take the top off a defense. If they still had Drew Brees maybe that would be OK. But they have Winston. And his strength isn't getting the ball out quickly to short area WR's.

And trading a 1st rounder next year for a 1st rounder this year is hilarious. Next year is going to be a killer draft. This year was meh.

And they did all that for what? Their absolute best possible outcome this coming season is what....one and done in the playoffs? And the more likely outcome is them having a rough season. This is a classic case of a FO mortgaging the future of the franchise just in an attempt to save their own job.

Edit: And I read that signing Andy Dalton in March is essentially going to cost them a 3rd round comp pick back from Armstead. Not sure if that is true or not.
I totally agree, actually. I dont know if you saw my draft reactions but I thought the Saints had the worst draft.

At the same time, they really are setting themselves up for a run at the playoffs. For the purposes of their over/under I like them. Their team building strategy is hilariously bad, though

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep. They are sacrificing all of their future for a SB title this year basically. I say it every year that the cap will kill them and they find a way to make it work but it's only a matter of time.

Reactions: DJ

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Packer's have quietly assembled what could be the best defense in football this upcoming season. And this move will free up cap space to go out and get a vet WR for Rodgers.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they planned on meeting with Watson why didn't they just me with him earlier, the last 2 months? Strange.