• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blackballed and I don't blame teams for doing it. There are plenty of guys who didn't get vaccinated who weren't complete pricks about it and he is relatively easy to replace.

The guy basically made a career picking up Dez and Diggs scraps. Lots of (younger) guys can do that.

He did more than just pick up scraps. He's a very good slot receiver, but may have lost a step.
his numbers were down last season, both yardage and receptions. He was either playing hurt or lost a step.

IMO that wouldn't necessarily "blackball" him, however I read elsewhere that Beasley got fined repeatedly for flaunting the basic COVID rules for things like wearing a mask and social distancing. Lots of GMs wouldn't want to bother with that sort of b.s.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 30,055.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
his numbers were down last season, both yardage and receptions. He was either playing hurt or lost a step.

IMO that wouldn't necessarily "blackball" him, however I read elsewhere that Beasley got fined repeatedly for flaunting the basic COVID rules for things like wearing a mask and social distancing. Lots of GMs wouldn't want to bother with that sort of b.s.
Not in receptions. He had a career high the last 2 seasons of 82.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dolphins had already made 3 'big name', 'big money' signings at RB. Michel doesn't add anything to that backfield. I hope the Dolphins got him cheap with minimal guarantees because he may not make the roster. I wish Michel well after 2022 but this looks like a retirement nest egg move.
Big money they're all relatively cheap? Edmonds is also still very young and Michel adds a larger between the tackles dimension. Remember Mostert was hurt last year he may not be the same they are hedging their bets...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in receptions. He had a career high the last 2 seasons of 82.

His stats were down substantially from the year prior in yardage and TDs. He was still targeted a lot, but on shorter dump off routes and he didn't get much extra out of them. As DonMan noted, he was a bit banged up and may or may not have lost a step as well. He's still a useful player, so the fact that he's still available is likely due to a some combination of asking for too much salary and dealing with the potential COVID issues.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first thought was to laugh at the idea of him getting $14M annually.

Then I remembered Randy Gregory getting $14M annually. And they are exactly the same age.

That contract has to be one of the worst handed out this offseason.
And Clowney actually put up double digit sacks, always been solid in the run game. Browns got a bargain last year. 1 yr 10-12 was what I was expecting

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Clowney actually put up double digit sacks, always been solid in the run game. Browns got a bargain last year. 1 yr 10-12 was what I was expecting

.....Clowney has actually never posted double digit sacks in his career.

He is such a disappointment (not for the Browns) considering what we all thought he was going to be when he was coming out. I really thought he was going to be a generational DE.

The play on 4th and short or whatever it was in college where he burst through the OL, smacked the RB and knocked off his helmet and took the handoff is still one the best plays I have ever seen. It is EXACTLY what D-Lineman dream of when they sleep.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is such a disappointment (not for the Browns) considering what we all thought he was going to be when he was coming out. I really thought he was going to be a generational DE.

The play on 4th and short or whatever it was in college where he burst through the OL, smacked the RB and knocked off his helmet and took the handoff is still one the best plays I have ever seen. It is EXACTLY what D-Lineman dream of when they sleep.
My fault. 9 sacks and top 5 pass rush win rate. Garrett was #1.
Disappointment as a pass rusher? Absolutely. As a player you could definitely say to an extent but as an end he has consistently been one of the best run defenders in the league. There have been WAY greater disappointments at #1. It would be equivalent to Trevor Lawrence making a handful of PB’s but never doing anything substantial in the NFL and his team being average. No SB’s and not a top 7 QB in the NFL. Both were basically chosen ones for their position and dominated in HS and college.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Huge disappointment no doubt, but that is in the past at this point. As of today he is perhaps (some say yes, I say no) making a little more than he should, but IMO a really good signing for the Browns and well worth what he is getting for at least one more year.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the opportunity is there, gotta earn it now.

Must really have a lot of confidence in him and what he can do down the road.

If I read it correctly, the Browns are #1 in cash spent AND #2 in cap space. If nothing else, I have full confidence in this FO when it comes to managing the cap.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the opportunity is there, gotta earn it now.

That's is absolutely ridiculous.

That is double the value any of the TE's signed for this offseason with the exception of the Jags have to pay a 25% premium to Engram (just like they have to pay a 25% premium to all their FA's).

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is double the value any of the TE's signed for this offseason with the exception of the Jags have to pay a 25% premium to Engram (just like they have to pay a 25% premium to all their FA's).
The cap space the Browns have, must be burning a hole in their pocket judging by this crazy contract.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would still like to see the full contract details and breakdown. I will say it’s probably a boom or bust, it either works out or he explodes and is a top 5 talent. At least they have a top QB now, this deal would NOT happen with Baker, no chance.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would still like to see the full contract details and breakdown. I will say it’s probably a boom or bust, it either works out or he explodes and is a top 5 talent. At least they have a top QB now, this deal would NOT happen with Baker, no chance.

What is weird is that Watson has never been a throw to the TE QB really. No TE has ever caught more than 425 yards with him in a season.

But hey the smart teams pay players for what they are going to do. Not what they have done. Maybe the Browns think he is going to bust out. He is still really young. But if you are paying him based on what he has done, they overpaid by WAY more than double. He really should have been a $8M-$9M a year contract based on what we have seen handed out this offseason.

They never should have tagged him. Let him hit the open market and then top his top offer if this is how crazy they were willing to go. They would have paid him way less than this.

This is one of those contracts that even if it works out.....they still really made a mistake here. It's kind of like going all in with 8-2 in poker and winning. Just because it worked out, doesnt mean it was the right play.

But hey. Ain't your or any other Brown's fans money.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is weird is that Watson has never been a throw to the TE QB really. No TE has ever caught more than 425 yards with him in a season.

But hey the smart teams pay players for what they are going to do. Not what they have done. Maybe the Browns think he is going to bust out. He is still really young. But if you are paying him based on what he has done, they overpaid by WAY more than double. He really should have been a $8M-$9M a year contract based on what we have seen handed out this offseason.

They never should have tagged him. Let him hit the open market and then top his top offer if this is how crazy they were willing to go. They would have paid him way less than this.

This is one of those contracts that even if it works out.....they still really made a mistake here. It's kind of like going all in with 8-2 in poker and winning. Just because it worked out, doesnt mean it was the right play.

while I agree with a lot of what you are saying, the Browns are #1 in cash spent and also #2 in cap space. I'm willing to trust this FO knows what they are doing when it comes to gauging value of players and working the cap.

Agree they must really think he's going to improve to offer this much. and, sure, could get burnt.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well look at the list of TE’s he’s had and then look at the list of WR’s….would you throw to the TE’s? Lol

For what he is no…no doubt they overpaid

Last edited: