• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because, he can't be on that team after all the shit that has gone down.
what is all the shit that has gone down? I disgruntled player who never wanted to be hear and his dad don't like him? They replaced him with a top tier player (which happens in pro sports)? If you want to keep him because that is what is best for the team, Berry is an adult and can sit him down and explain the best thing he can do is come in, put his head down and compete to be the #2.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1 year ago he was being discussed as a possible top 10 QB, now he's not top 20 or even top 24? LOL.
Well to be fair, the injury had a lot to do with that.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest I kinda feel dirty defending the Browns and Mayfield like this.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what's reality "at the moment" is we are still a month away from the next camp and 2+ months from training camp. There's no rush.

another reality is Browns are way below the cap and don't NEED to trade him if not to their liking.
True, but if traded they can use that money as carryover into 2023, freeing up 2023 money for carryover into 2024 and so on to help cover Watsons 46M base salary.

Trading him gives cap relief in 2023 not just this season.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well to be fair, the injury had a lot to do with that.

....and to also be fair, I dont believe anyone thought he was a top 10 QB.

The simple fact is that Baker doesnt have a landing place. He is now a known commodity (and what is known isn't great) with a big one year contract and then he hits FA. The only question marks surrounding him are 1) Has he recovered from his injury and 2) has he lost his ability to lead an NFL team.

The simple fact of the matter is that right now Baker would only be possibly projected to start in 3 locations:
1) Seattle. Not interested because they want to see if they can develop Lock.
2) Houston. Not interested as they want to see if they can develop Mills.
3) NYG. Not interested as they want to give Jones one more season.

No where else does he have a path to a starting gig. I guess you could make the case that he could compete in Detroit but the Lions have way too much money tied up in Goff to put him on the bench.

No where else in the NFL is Baker a better option with the way he looked last season. It is that simple.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The simple fact is that Baker doesnt have a landing place. He is now a known commodity (and what is known isn't great) with a big one year contract and then he hits FA. The only question marks surrounding him are 1) Has he recovered from his injury and 2) has he lost his ability to lead an NFL team.

The simple fact of the matter is that right now Baker would only be possibly projected to start in 3 locations:

No where else does he have a path to a starting gig. I guess you could make the case that he could compete in Detroit but the Lions have way too much money tied up in Goff to put him on the bench.

No where else in the NFL is Baker a better option with the way he looked last season. It is that simple.
Yeah I never had him in my top 10, at the end of 2020 I put him anywhere in the 11-15 range, that was fair at the moment.

He would win the job in Carolina, Pittsburgh and Atlanta, even Detroit. Yes, CAR and DET don't make sense for obvious reasons.

Either way those are enough options to take a risk on him bc the reward outweighs risk but salary is holding it up. I guarantee that. Seattle makes the most sense. If he gets cut, there will be 7 or 8 teams vying for him, pretty much all the teams listed, that's why money is the issue here.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Carolina should also be on the list.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see that happening as Baker is better than Bridgewater. Might as well keep him.
Compare their stats last three years and you'll find Bridgewaters are a little better despite the fact that Mayfield played on a more talented team.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compare their stats last three years and you'll find Bridgewaters are a little better despite the fact that Mayfield played on a more talented team.
I don't disagree but Teddy is pretty injury prone and 29.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree but Teddy is pretty injury prone and 29.
Isn't Mayfield shoulder messed up ? Well he be OK? Far as I know Teddy is healthy and ready, he actually only had one injury, but it was a dozy. He's recovered from that now.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why is there "no way"? If he's better than Brissett and Watson cannot play I think they'll do what gives them the best chance to win and not make decisions based on emotion.
Baker is better than Brissett, but you have to worry about not blowing up your locker room. That is logic, not emotion.
Baker seems to be on tilt right now. Who is basing things on emotion, not logic.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But people do have to realize that even at vet min, Baker might not be enticing to a lot of teams. It is the only position where teams don't want the controversy of a possible starter sitting behind a current starter. Creates too much noise.

I'm convinced the Vikings havent brought in a competent backup over the last couple of years simply to avoid the idiots on sports talk radio calling for a backup to start.

Edit: I dont even know what thread I am replying and posting in anymore.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Geno Smith is basically a more established Drew Lock so he would make sense as the starter if Seattle was trying to win.

Are they trying to win?

Honestly, I look at the situation and....yes. I dont think they're rebuilding. I strongly suspect they are trying to do a Tannehill/Derrick Henry type of deal where the offense might run through Kenneth Walker and Rashaad Penny and the QB is just there to keep defenses honest.