• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if Carr goes down you see the Raiders trading a 3rd round pick for Mayfield & pay his salary? You'd want them to do that if Carr went down?
No.

I'd say a 4th for Mayfield if the Browns agreed to pay half his salary (about 9million since his salary is 18.86 million) and yes I'd do it. 9 million for a starting caliber QB (since a lot of average QB's make 16-20mill per)? Are tyou kidding? We have Nick Mullens and Gilbert Grape as our backups.

Ironic you'd be the one to quote me since Seattle is where he most likely ends up eventually.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

It isn't about him being a franchise QB.....if a team loses their STARTER.....in say the 1st or 2nd pre-season game.....they are essentially fucked for the season. If it's a serious injury. He only has 1 year left on his deal.....at say 9 mill (if the Browns eat half his conract) that would be a bargain.....since average QB's are making 16-20 mill a season.

Hell, even if they kept him on the roster and told him to stay home till they found a trade partner.....say 3-4 games into the season and some QB got hurt.....teams would be panicking and willing to trade a 4th, even a 3rd rounder for him (again especially if they ate about half his salary). Not like they're getting a 1st or 2nd.....it's a 2nd day draft pick,

Goodness, learn about reading comprehension.
So you're playing the What If game while I'm dealing with whats reality at the moment.

What do think his trade value is, right now?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

I'd say a 4th for Mayfield if the Browns agreed to pay half his salary (about 9million since his salary is 18.86 million) and yes I'd do it. 9 million for a starting caliber QB (since a lot of average QB's make 16-20mill per)? Are tyou kidding? We have Nick Mullens and Gilbert Grape as our backups.

Ironic you'd be the one to quote me since Seattle is where he most likely ends up eventually.
What if they didn't want to pay 1/2 his salary?

Also personally If I were trading a pick and asking for the Browns to pay 1/2 I still don't send a 4, because a 4 gives you a good shot at a starter, Baker doesn't look like a long term starter unless he plays much better.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

Not in my opinion.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I wish Seattle would make an offer the Browns liked for him that's the route I'd go too unless they were confident he could be their franchise guy (which I doubt they could without first seeing him play again after his operation).
I think after RW's bitching and moaning the last couple of years they want a fresh start with a rookie QB.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

He's not going to Seattle. They have their eyes set on the 2023 draft.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^^^^Just another reason teams that need a QB would rather wait. Kiper went with 7 QBs in the first round next draft ( not he knows any thing really, but strong QB class next season)

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda agree with DJ.
I think Baker is a mid pack QB & would be better than some slated starters right now.
Now for those other teams. Why trade? Browns & Baker are a dumpster fire together as of now.
So wait until they release him or they give him up for cheap, because there is no way the Browns could put him in that locker room with Watson & the rest of the team now.

But then again. It is the browns :noidea:

Browns best chance right now to move him is waiting for an injury. Baker should go talk to Bradfords agent. LOL

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But then again. It is the browns :noidea:

Browns best chance right now to move him is waiting for an injury. Baker should go talk to Bradfords agent. LOL

dd9b4a32-515e-4a77-b5d6-7cfb18809e8d_text.gif

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

It isn't about him being a franchise QB.....if a team loses their STARTER.....in say the 1st or 2nd pre-season game.....they are essentially fucked for the season. If it's a serious injury. He only has 1 year left on his deal.....at say 9 mill (if the Browns eat half his conract) that would be a bargain.....since average QB's are making 16-20 mill a season.

Hell, even if they kept him on the roster and told him to stay home till they found a trade partner.....say 3-4 games into the season and some QB got hurt.....teams would be panicking and willing to trade a 4th, even a 3rd rounder for him (again especially if they ate about half his salary). Not like they're getting a 1st or 2nd.....it's a 2nd day draft pick,

Goodness, learn about reading comprehension.
If Mayfield was an average QB and average QBs were making $16-20M per year then Mayfield's situation would have already been sorted out. Mayfield isn't an average QB. He's nearer #24 than #16. I don't see any team picking up Mayfield's current contract in full. A low 3rd/ high 4th round pick would probably be worth between $6.5M and $9M in cash/cap space so reducing Mayfield's cost to a new team by that amount isn't going to make him worth that sort of pick.

QBs aren't plug 'n play. They normally need time with a new team. Mayfield should be worth more now than he will be in late July, and he'll be worth more in late July than he will be in mid September.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if they didn't want to pay 1/2 his salary?

Also personally If I were trading a pick and asking for the Browns to pay 1/2 I still don't send a 4, because a 4 gives you a good shot at a starter, Baker doesn't look like a long term starter unless he plays much better.
On a 1-year rental for Mayfield at $9.43M i'd give up a 6th in 2023 and a conditional 6th in 2024 that could rise to become a 4th on a top 10 season for Mayfield. If it's just a 2023 pick with no conditions i'd say mid 5th. That's a pre training camp valuation. He'll be worth less in September.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mayfield was an average QB and average QBs were making $16-20M per year then Mayfield's situation would have already been sorted out. Mayfield isn't an average QB. He's nearer #24 than #16. I don't see any team picking up Mayfield's current contract in full. A low 3rd/ high 4th round pick would probably be worth between $6.5M and $9M in cash/cap space so reducing Mayfield's cost to a new team by that amount isn't going to make him worth that sort of pick.

QBs aren't plug 'n play. They normally need time with a new team. Mayfield should be worth more now than he will be in late July, and he'll be worth more in late July than he will be in mid September.
LOL at 24 QB's that are better than him.....in no particular order.

Rodgers
Brady
Watson
Mahomes
Herbert
Stafford
RW
Carr
Allen
Burrow
Jackson
Dak
Counsins
Jimmy G
Winston

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at 24 QB's that are better than him.....in no particular order.

Rodgers
Brady
Watson
Mahomes
Herbert
Stafford
RW
Carr
Allen
Burrow
Jackson
Dak
Counsins
Jimmy G
Winston
Matt Ryan (for this season)
Murray
Tannehill ( better track record)
Last years rookies are likely considered more valuable, certainly by the teams who drafted them

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Ryan (for this season)
Murray
Tannehill ( better track record)
Last years rookies are likely considered more valuable, certainly by the teams who drafted them
Last years rookies? LOL.

We are talking about who is better right now.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last years rookies? LOL.

We are talking about who is better right now.
Talking about who is better for 2022 and QBs make their biggest jump year two. I guarantee that Jags, Jets, 49ers and Pats won't trade them for Mayfield

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picks don't matter at this point compared to salary. The Browns have about $30M in cap not counting the Hooper cap coming after June 1st. I bet you the Browns would take a 7th if they can get the team take his full salary but that is not likely. The Browns are already going to have a ton of cap rollover but any salary from Baker will also go to that 2023 rollover. I still think they can get a 4th or 5th but like I said, it's more about salary than anything at this point.

If a team takes half of Baker's salary, that is a steal, any way you look at it, plain and simple. He is without a doubt a top 20 QB but closer to mid of the pack 15-16.