• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picks don't matter at this point compared to salary. The Browns have about $30M in cap not counting the Hooper cap coming after June 1st. I bet you the Browns would take a 7th if they can get the team take his full salary but that is not likely. The Browns are already going to have a ton of cap rollover but any salary from Baker will also go to that 2023 rollover. I still think they can get a 4th or 5th but like I said, it's more about salary than anything at this point.

If a team takes half of Baker's salary, that is a steal, any way you look at it, plain and simple. He is without a doubt a top 20 QB but closer to mid of the pack 15-16.
Yep.

And you and I have gone back and forth about Mayfield. There is no arguing that for 9-10 million he's a good option.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yeah if Carr went down in the preseason or week 2-4 with a serious injury?

Heck yeah....I'd trade a 4th, maybe even a 3rd (especially if the Browns ate half his contract, not sure if we have 9-10mill though) to try and save our season from going to shit....

Mullens is an okay backup for 2-4 games but not if we lose Carr for the season. And don't get me started on Gilbert Grape.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're going to pay him to sit, and lose him anyway.

If any team offers a 7th they need to take it. If anyteam offers more than a 7th that GM needs to fired.
yeah, don't think so but we'll see. Fortunately we have a FO run by adults who wont make decisions out of emotion.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the teams in need of a QB would rather wait and draft a QB and have the benefit of a rookie contract then trade for Mayfield and pay him 19 million which is so less attractive then what a rookie QB makes. It's not like anyone feels Mayfield fixes their QB problem other then a bridge or patch to when they can draft a QB and is it really to their advantage to win a game or two more which simply means a poorer draft position which just complicates finding and drafting a franchise QB? I don't think so. At this point Browns only chance of getting squat for Mayfield is if a team in contention for the playoffs has their QB go down for the season and even then it may be difficult to extract much IMO. Most likely the Browns end up doing what the Panthers did with Bridgewater, which means paying the bulk of his salary and taking a pick near the end of the draft.
I don't see that happening as Baker is better than Bridgewater. Might as well keep him.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres much merit to waiting on next years draft vs. Mayfield, problem is coaches don't like losing.

If a coach can get Mayfield for a 7th, I think they go for him, I wouldn't extend his contract, but I will tell him " Show Me and I'll pay you".

I don't see Cleveland simply releasing him because he will still be on their books, regardless if a team picks him up afterward or not. They'll tell him to stay home so he's not a distraction.

What could be interesting is Baker on contract, told keep your ass home, and then The NFL suspends Watson, or Watson gets injured.
Not so sure they'd tell him to stay home....especially if Watson is suspended. Much of the drama is fan and media driven. Are there some player who might not like him? Probably....but I'm confident plenty still do.

IF he is not traded and IF he cannot beat out Brissett for the #2 job? Then I agree....he might be sent home or at least made inactive.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the Browns have to pay Mayfield unless he's traded, I'd say the best they can get is a 7th.

Maybe it would have to be Mayfield and a 6th for that 7th.
All depends on salary, that's the hold up here. Are you saying if the team takes his full salary they are only getting a 7th? I think if a team took his entire salary the Browns would give him away. That is more valuable than a very late round pick at this point.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so sure they'd tell him to stay home....especially if Watson is suspended. Much of the drama is fan and media driven. Are there some player who might not like him? Probably....but I'm confident plenty still do.

IF he is not traded and IF he cannot beat out Brissett for the #2 job? Then I agree....he might be sent home or at least made inactive.
Brissett is a solid backup and can fill in for Watson.....he could fill in for Watson when he's suspended.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're playing the What If game while I'm dealing with whats reality at the moment.

What do think his trade value is, right now?
what's reality "at the moment" is we are still a month away from the next camp and 2+ months from training camp. There's no rush.

another reality is Browns are way below the cap and don't NEED to trade him if not to their liking.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All depends on salary, that's the hold up here. Are you saying if the team takes his full salary they are only getting a 7th? I think if a team took his entire salary the Browns would give him away. That is more valuable than a very late round pick at this point.
Or they can eat a portion of his contract and some team will give a 4th, maybe a 3rd.....especially if somebody gets hurt in pre-season or very early in the season.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda agree with DJ.
I think Baker is a mid pack QB & would be better than some slated starters right now.
Now for those other teams. Why trade? Browns & Baker are a dumpster fire together as of now.
So wait until they release him or they give him up for cheap, because there is no way the Browns could put him in that locker room with Watson & the rest of the team now.

But then again. It is the browns :noidea:

Browns best chance right now to move him is waiting for an injury. Baker should go talk to Bradfords agent. LOL
why is there "no way"? If he's better than Brissett and Watson cannot play I think they'll do what gives them the best chance to win and not make decisions based on emotion.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at 24 QB's that are better than him.....in no particular order.

Rodgers
Brady
Watson
Mahomes
Herbert
Stafford
RW
Carr
Allen
Burrow
Jackson
Dak
Counsins
Jimmy G
Winston
and latter 2 are questionable.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as sure about that as you. Especially if Watson gets suspended as I'm not doing anything to hurt my chances this year and if they think Baker is better than Brissett they could very well be inclined to keep him.

Really think a lot of the drama is media/fan driven (maybe not all but most). MKC article today said Baker still has a number of supporters in the locker room.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1 year ago he was being discussed as a possible top 10 QB, now he's not top 20 or even top 24? LOL.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brissett is a solid backup and can fill in for Watson.....he could fill in for Watson when he's suspended.
I agree....but if they think Baker is better than Brissett why dump him for next to nothing if you may need him for a number of games?

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree....but if they think Baker is better than Brissett why dump him for next to nothing if you may need him for a number of games?
Because, he can't be on that team after all the shit that has gone down.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I included them and I was borderline on both of them.

But, he's better than last year's rookie class.....he's proven he can be a good QB. The rookie haven't.
Jones showed some promise. Others did next to nothing.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Packers should have interest in OBJ. Sign him to an incentive laden deal and he's a veteran that Rodgers could sling the ball to.