• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jets blew everyone out the water with their offseason. Total landslide. But lets see if it equals to field success.
They've done a great job building around Wilson, but he's still linchpin for any success. If he's not above average this year, they're still limited.

Sometimes a lot of change sets a team back initially too. That's a lot of new pieces to incorporate.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not. It's about total cost rather than the cap number. If the cost is more than the benefit you don't make the trade. If the benefit does outweigh the cost then manipulating the cap accounting is a small additional plus.
I get all that but I don't want Mayfield. He's not great and all but can win you games. I want to be bad and get a high draft pick for next years crop of QBs.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get all that but I don't want Mayfield. He's not great and all but can win you games. I want to be bad and get a high draft pick for next years crop of QBs.
While I wish Seattle would make an offer the Browns liked for him that's the route I'd go too unless they were confident he could be their franchise guy (which I doubt they could without first seeing him play again after his operation).

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I wish Seattle would make an offer the Browns liked for him that's the route I'd go too unless they were confident he could be their franchise guy (which I doubt they could without first seeing him play again after his operation).
Considering the Browns have to pay Mayfield unless he's traded, I'd say the best they can get is a 7th.

Maybe it would have to be Mayfield and a 6th for that 7th.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the Browns have to pay Mayfield unless he's traded, I'd say the best they can get is a 7th.

If that's the best they can get my guess is they'd keep him.....but I think they'll get a 3rd or 4th eventually. Cannot see them making a deal that does not help us. If paying him, may as well keep him.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's the best they can get my guess is they'd keep him.....but I think they'll get a 3rd or 4th eventually. Cannot see them making a deal that does not help us. If paying him, may as well keep him.
They're going to pay him to sit, and lose him anyway.

If any team offers a 7th they need to take it. If anyteam offers more than a 7th that GM needs to fired.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If any team offers a 7th they need to take it. If anyteam offers more than a 7th that GM needs to fired.
At this point, I agree.

I think if this was earlier in the process and you had a team like WTF looking for a QB then sure, throw a 4th or 5th rounder in there. At this stage, I dont really see a team for Baker. His rookie contract has run out. Teams had a chance at the draft to exploit a new rookie contract with a mid round pick. If the Browns want a mid round pick, they'll have to wait for a QB to get hurt on a contender. Honestly, that wouldnt be the worst play.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the teams in need of a QB would rather wait and draft a QB and have the benefit of a rookie contract then trade for Mayfield and pay him 19 million which is so less attractive then what a rookie QB makes. It's not like anyone feels Mayfield fixes their QB problem other then a bridge or patch to when they can draft a QB and is it really to their advantage to win a game or two more which simply means a poorer draft position which just complicates finding and drafting a franchise QB? I don't think so. At this point Browns only chance of getting squat for Mayfield is if a team in contention for the playoffs has their QB go down for the season and even then it may be difficult to extract much IMO. Most likely the Browns end up doing what the Panthers did with Bridgewater, which means paying the bulk of his salary and taking a pick near the end of the draft.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the teams in need of a QB would rather wait and draft a QB and have the benefit of a rookie contract then trade for Mayfield and pay him 19 million which is so less attractive then what a rookie QB makes. It's not like anyone feels Mayfield fixes their QB problem other then a bridge or patch to when they can draft a QB and is it really to their advantage to win a game or two more which simply means a poorer draft position which just complicates finding and drafting a franchise QB? I don't think so. At this point Browns only chance of getting squat for Mayfield is if a team in contention for the playoffs has their QB go down for the season and even then it may be difficult to extract much IMO. Most likely the Browns end up doing what the Panthers did with Bridgewater, which means paying the bulk of his salary and taking a pick near the end of the draft.
Theres much merit to waiting on next years draft vs. Mayfield, problem is coaches don't like losing.

If a coach can get Mayfield for a 7th, I think they go for him, I wouldn't extend his contract, but I will tell him " Show Me and I'll pay you".

I don't see Cleveland simply releasing him because he will still be on their books, regardless if a team picks him up afterward or not. They'll tell him to stay home so he's not a distraction.

What could be interesting is Baker on contract, told keep your ass home, and then The NFL suspends Watson, or Watson gets injured.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres much merit to waiting on next years draft vs. Mayfield, problem is coaches don't like losing.

If a coach can get Mayfield for a 7th, I think they go for him, I wouldn't extend his contract, but I will tell him " Show Me and I'll pay you".

I don't see Cleveland simply releasing him because he will still be on their books, regardless if a team picks him up afterward or not. They'll tell him to stay home so he's not a distraction.

What could be interesting is Baker on contract, told keep your ass home, and then The NFL suspends Watson, or Watson gets injured.
Yes coaches hate losing, but did/ does it really help the coach to trade for some dud/failure ? Did it help the Broncos HC last year to trade for Bridgewater ( even though they nearly got him for free) ? How much good did it do the Panthers HC to trade for Darnold?

I think the biggest danger of trading for Mayfield is the danger of extending his contract or resigning him. He has had short spurts in the past where he played well if he has a stretch of games in 2022 where he plays half way decent, will the team be tempted to resign him ( see Goff and the Rams for how this can be a really bad disaster) .

I agree the Browns definitely don't want to just cut him and have to eat the entire contract, but a unhappy Mayfield shooting out statements of his unhappiness, how he feels he's not be treated fairly and so on, is sort of a untenable situation for the Browns also so ......

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes coaches hate losing, but did/ does it really help the coach to trade for some dud/failure ? Did it help the Broncos HC last year to trade for Bridgewater ( even though they nearly got him for free) ? How much good did it do the Panthers HC to trade for Darnold?

I think the biggest danger of trading for Mayfield is the danger of extending his contract or resigning him. He has had short spurts in the past where he played well if he has a stretch of games in 2022 where he plays half way decent, will the team be tempted to resign him ( see Goff and the Rams for how this can be a really bad disaster) .

I agree the Browns definitely don't want to just cut him and have to eat the entire contract, but a unhappy Mayfield shooting out statements of his unhappiness, how he feels he's not be treated fairly and so on, is sort of a untenable situation for the Browns also so ......
I agree with you and I'm not actively calling for any team to trade for him, I'm just saying what I think the cost to aquire him is.

One reason I say Baker and a 6th for a 7th is I think the Browns will have to pay a team to take on that contract.

Mayfield is probably on track to being that Veteran Back-up.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If there is an injury in pre-season (very possible).....the Browns can get a lot more than that.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is an injury in pre-season (very possible).....the Browns can get a lot more than that.
Yes anything is possible, but barring injury or a foolish decision by another team, the Browns are between a rock and a hard place.

That said the Eagles were bailed out twice on QB's.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes anything is possible, but barring injury or a foolish decision by another team, the Browns are between a rock and a hard place.

That said the Eagles were bailed out twice on QB's.
As biased as you are against him (and I am no Browns lover) If an injury happened and the Browns agreed to eat say.....half his salary.....they could get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. Easily.....In a QB starved league as the NFL.....Mayfield could command that. Again easily.

Mayfield isn't top 10 but he isn't bottom 10 either. He's middle of the pack. And for a team that lost their starting QB.....that is worth a 3rd or 4th rounder for a QB making about 9 mill (if the Browns eat half his contract).

Stop it.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As biased as you are against him (and I am no Browns lover) If an injury happened and the Browns agreed to eat say.....half his salary.....they could get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. Easily.....In a QB starved league as the NFL.....Mayfield could command that. Again easily.

Mayfield isn't top 10 but he isn't bottom 10 either. He's middle of the pack. And for a team that lost their starting QB.....that is worth a 3rd or 4th rounder for a QB making about 9 mill (if the Browns eat half his contract).

Stop it.
It's not biases against him, I just don't see him as a Franchise QB.

If a team trades almost nothing for him and doesn’t give him a extension, fine roll those dice and see if you hit, I just wouldn't trade anything of value or give him a LTD.

I don't see the Browns simply releasing him this year, because they would still have to pay him.

Getting him off of their books even for a 7th, frees up his salary that they can carry over into 23.

The smart move is to trade him for what ever they can. Can they wait? Sure the can, but it makes no sense to keep him through 2022.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not biases against him, I just don't see him as a Franchise QB.

If a team trades almost nothing for him and doesn’t give him a extension, fine roll those dice and see if you hit, I just wouldn't trade anything of value or give him a LTD.

I don't see the Browns simply releasing him this year, because they would still have to pay him.

Getting him off of their books even for a 7th, frees up his salary that they can carry over into 23.

The smart move is to trade him for what ever they can. Can they wait? Sure the can, but it makes no sense to keep him through 2022.
:L

It isn't about him being a franchise QB.....if a team loses their STARTER.....in say the 1st or 2nd pre-season game.....they are essentially fucked for the season. If it's a serious injury. He only has 1 year left on his deal.....at say 9 mill (if the Browns eat half his conract) that would be a bargain.....since average QB's are making 16-20 mill a season.

Hell, even if they kept him on the roster and told him to stay home till they found a trade partner.....say 3-4 games into the season and some QB got hurt.....teams would be panicking and willing to trade a 4th, even a 3rd rounder for him (again especially if they ate about half his salary). Not like they're getting a 1st or 2nd.....it's a 2nd day draft pick,

Goodness, learn about reading comprehension.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It isn't about him being a franchise QB.....if a team loses their STARTER.....in say the 1st or 2nd pre-season game.....they are essentially fucked for the season. If it's a serious injury. He only has 1 year left on his deal.....at say 9 mill (if the Browns eat half his conract) that would be a bargain.....since average QB's are making 16-20 mill a season.

Hell, even if they kept him on the roster and told him to stay home till they found a trade partner.....say 3-4 games into the season and some QB got hurt.....teams would be panicking and willing to trade a 4th, even a 3rd rounder for him (again especially if they ate about half his salary). Not like they're getting a 1st or 2nd.....it's a 2nd day draft pick,

So if Carr goes down you see the Raiders trading a 3rd round pick for Mayfield & pay his salary? You'd want them to do that if Carr went down?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and if no team loses it's starter ? Least not more then a game or maybe two then what is Mayfield worth?