• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day 2 most likely. I guess maybe early Day 3 but Day 2 seems the most likely. After that and if Carolina, Seattle, Atlanta and/or Detroit have QB's...the Browns might be screwed
All the teams you mentioned already have bridge QBs so IDK why another more expensive bridge QB would be attractive to trade for myself. Now if the Browns cut Baker well then sure some team will pick him up and sign him for cheap

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the teams you mentioned already have bridge QBs so IDK why another more expensive bridge QB would be attractive to trade for myself. Now if the Browns cut Baker well then sure some team will pick him up and sign him for cheap
Well Baker is better than any of those starters (Geno, Mariota, Darnold), of course some with disagree, it isn't just about being a bridge some teams might believe he can be starter more than a year and they can get him on a "good" contract. Of course someone will pick him up at the worst possible scenario if they cut him or the Browns could keep him and get a compensatory pick for him :)

I realistically don't see that happening, honestly that would be stupid for these teams to draft one of these rookie QB's early especially if the Browns are willing to cover some of Baker's salary. Baker is easily the best QB in this draft.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Baker is better than any of those starters (Geno, Mariota, Darnold), of course some with disagree, it isn't just about being a bridge some teams might believe he can be starter more than a year and they can get him on a "good" contract. Of course someone will pick him up at the worst possible scenario if they cut him or the Browns could keep him and get a compensatory pick for him :)

I realistically don't see that happening, honestly that would be stupid for these teams to draft one of these rookie QB's early especially if the Browns are willing to cover some of Baker's salary. Baker is easily the best QB in this draft.
All those teams have lots of holes to fill, what difference would Baker Mayfield make for them ? Win a extra game or two.....maybe? Does that actual help them? I think not.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All those teams have lots of holes to fill, what difference would Baker Mayfield make for them ? Win a extra game or two.....maybe? Does that actual help them? I think not.
Exactly, they have a lot of holes to fill so why would you draft one with your 1st pick? Darnold had his chance, he sucks. Why would you not take a chance on a guy if the other team covers half his salary and you only have to give up a 3rd or 4th...little risk with the one year too. If he plays well, you have a winner. If you don't...you cut ties. Pretty simple.

Teams don't think of it like we would, they are trying to find the best option possible-not tanking. To save their job they better win games that means upgrading QB. The Carolina FO is on a short leash. Either you stay with Darnold and you lose your job or you take the risk, trade for Baker on a good deal and win a couple more games that could save their job.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, they have a lot of holes to fill so why would you draft one with your 1st pick? Darnold had his chance, he sucks. Why would you not take a chance on a guy if the other team covers half his salary and you only have to give up a 3rd or 4th...little risk with the one year too. If he plays well, you have a winner. If you don't...you cut ties. Pretty simple.

Teams don't think of it like we would, they are trying to find the best option possible-not tanking. To save their job they better win games that means upgrading QB. The Carolina FO is on a short leash. Either you stay with Darnold and you lose your job or you take the risk, trade for Baker on a good deal and win a couple more games that could save their job.
IDK if teams would use a first round pick on this years crop of QBs, but likely one or two will because it's a easier to sell a rookie QB ( who salary is cheap) potential then to sell some failed retread vet at the cost of a 3 or 4th round pick and millions in salary ( that with the Browns covering half). If your looking to save/ extend your job then a rookie QB where you sell that he needs developing in the way Josh Allen was developed is the clearly better route for job security.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK if teams would use a first round pick on this years crop of QBs, but likely one or two will because it's a easier to sell a rookie QB ( who salary is cheap) potential then to sell some failed retread vet at the cost of a 3 or 4th round pick and millions in salary ( that with the Browns covering half). If your looking to save/ extend your job then a rookie QB where you sell that he needs developing in the way Josh Allen was developed is the clearly better route for job security.
Josh Allen was one in a million. Maybe you take Willis and hope for the best that is still 3-4 years down the road. Baker right now is the best option and better than any QB on any of the rosters that have a need a QB. If teams would take him in a heartbeat if he was cut why would they not trade for him if the stipulations were more on their side. Browns cover most of salary and 4th-5th round pick. I get teams are hoping they would cut them but then they have to hope he comes to their team. Why would he choose Seattle or Carolina or say Pittsburgh? So it isn’t just that simple. Teams in turmoil will take risks all the time instead of wasting a 1st in a “bad” QB class. I have no clue who trades for him but don’t be surprised if he is traded, it isn’t as crazy as you believe.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker right now is the best option
You basing that on his season last year? 17 tDs,13 interceptions. 60.5 completion percentage, 3010 yards , Tom Brady threw 43 TDs and 12 interception 67.5 completition percentage 5316 yards. Baker is ranked as 24th QB by ESPN right behind Teddy Bridgewater. Baker is just another failure in a long line of failures. Seriously if the team that drafted him #1 over all felt they needed to replace him, what does that say about Baker? Best option really doesn't spring to my mind.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You basing that on his season last year? 17 tDs,13 interceptions. 60.5 completion percentage, 3010 yards , Tom Brady threw 43 TDs and 12 interception 67.5 completition percentage 5316 yards. Baker is ranked as 24th QB by ESPN right behind Teddy Bridgewater. Baker is just another failure in a long line of failures. Seriously if the team that drafted him #1 over all felt they needed to replace him, what does that say about Baker? Best option really doesn't spring to my mind.
Agreed. Almost a sitting duck in the pocket, not a particularly big QB, and not the best release time. I'd also question his decision making ability at times. I kinda feel Mayfield is gonna be a journeyman for the rest of his career...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Almost a sitting duck in the pocket, not a particularly big QB, and not the best release time. I'd also question his decision making ability at times. I kinda feel Mayfield is gonna be a journeyman for the rest of his career...
Described him to a tee.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a torn left shoulder, we just going to dismiss that. His best is better than of those options? You disagree, that is fine but that is not correct. When did I say he didn’t fail? I think you are talking about a diffetent subject. He is better than Mariota, Darnold and Mitch but that is a given.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a torn left shoulder, we just going to dismiss that. His best is better than of those options? You disagree, that is fine but that is not correct. When did I say he didn’t fail? I think you are talking about a diffetent subject. He is better than Mariota, Darnold and Mitch but that is a given.
He ranked behind Teddy Bridgewater in 2020 also and his stats were meh that year also (ESPN had him ranked as QB 18th), better then 2021 but not even better then Teddy who we agree isn't a great option. 2019 Baker threw 22TDs to 21 interceptions. I think based on these last 3 seasons Baker has been a big disappointment and absolutely not special looking at all. He might be better then the QBs you mention but look at Mariota he was a free agent ( so no need to trade assets) who cap hit is 4.250 million. I'd rather have Mariota, cheaper, less baggage and likely to put up similar stats.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He ranked behind Teddy Bridgewater in 2020 also and his stats were meh that year also (ESPN had him ranked as QB 18th), better then 2021 but not even better then Teddy who we agree isn't a great option. 2019 Baker threw 22TDs to 21 interceptions. I think based on these last 3 seasons Baker has been a big disappointment and absolutely not special looking at all. He might be better then the QBs you mention but look at Mariota he was a free agent ( so no need to trade assets) who cap hit is 4.250 million. I'd rather have Mariota, cheaper, less baggage and likely to put up similar stats.

Mariota couldn't find a starting job; I wouldn't put him above Baker at this point. Baker played hurt last year when he probably shouldn't have. As a #1 overall pick he has been a disappointment, sure. Being a better option than immediately starting any of this incoming crop of QBs is not exactly glowing praise, but it is realistic IMO, as is Garappolo.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota couldn't find a starting job; I wouldn't put him above Baker at this point. Baker played hurt last year when he probably shouldn't have. As a #1 overall pick he has been a disappointment, sure. Being a better option than immediately starting any of this incoming crop of QBs is not exactly glowing praise, but it is realistic IMO, as is Garappolo.
How mush more salary over the 4.25 Mariota cap hit would you pay Baker and what kind of draft capital would you sacrifice for maybe a year of Baker?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How mush more salary over the 4.25 Mariota cap hit would you pay Baker and what kind of draft capital would you sacrifice for maybe a year of Baker?
Baker isn't going to draw much draft capital, since Cleveland is kind of stuck. I would offer a day 3 pick. Baker is under contract, unless you wait for the Browns to cut him, so that cost is known.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker isn't going to draw much draft capital, since Cleveland is kind of stuck. I would offer a day 3 pick. Baker is under contract, unless you wait for the Browns to cut him, so that cost is known.
You would be OK with his almost 19 million? Also it’s not fixed as the Brown can pay as much of it as they are willing, just as the Panthers paid 17 out of 20 million to move Bridgewater.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota is getting $6.75M this season and the Falcons have a $12M option on him next season. The cap numbers are not important.