• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds a lot like the Baker Mayfield situation tbh

I thought the exact same thing. Guess we know what to expect from the Eagles and Hurts next offseason. OU QB drama.

What do people think about Murray? I loved the guy coming out in the draft. I thought he was going to be next level. And his rookie year I had him as a fantasy QB....which ALWAYS slants your perspective. But the few times I saw him last year, I was not at all impressed. Especially that playoff game. Certainly not as sold on him as I thought I would be at this point.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the exact same thing. Guess we know what to expect from the Eagles and Hurts next offseason. OU QB drama.

What do people think about Murray? I loved the guy coming out in the draft. I thought he was going to be next level. And his rookie year I had him as a fantasy QB....which ALWAYS slants your perspective. But the few times I saw him last year, I was not at all impressed. Especially that playoff game. Certainly not as sold on him as I thought I would be at this point.
Also had him as my fantasy QB as a rookie on my money team.

I wasn't a huge Kyler fan coming out but I saw the appeal. IIRC his scouting report was: great first-read QB, accurate, surprisingly good arm, elite running ability, takes off too soon instead of progressing through reads, maybe benefited from the OU coaching and system. I liked him a hair more than Baker Mayfield who I also liked coming out but didnt think was the next Drew Brees or Russell Wilson like some people were making comparisons to. I thought Kyler was the guy who people thought Manziel could be. Better arm, way better runner, still some issues.

That said, Kyler isnt the problem in Arizona. Imo, he is somewhere between the 10th and 15th best QB in the league. He was drafted onto the worst team in the league and since drafting Kyler they've been a bottom 10 drafting team in the league. I also think their head coach is bottom 10 in the league. When Hopkins is in there, Kyler has no excuses but when he isnt, man... I don't really blame him at all for any struggles that offense has.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also had him as my fantasy QB as a rookie on my money team.

I wasn't a huge Kyler fan coming out but I saw the appeal. IIRC his scouting report was: great first-read QB, accurate, surprisingly good arm, elite running ability, takes off too soon instead of progressing through reads, maybe benefited from the OU coaching and system. I liked him a hair more than Baker Mayfield who I also liked coming out but didnt think was the next Drew Brees or Russell Wilson like some people were making comparisons to. I thought Kyler was the guy who people thought Manziel could be. Better arm, way better runner, still some issues.

That said, Kyler isnt the problem in Arizona. Imo, he is somewhere between the 10th and 15th best QB in the league. He was drafted onto the worst team in the league and since drafting Kyler they've been a bottom 10 drafting team in the league. I also think their head coach is bottom 10 in the league. When Hopkins is in there, Kyler has no excuses but when he isnt, man... I don't really blame him at all for any struggles that offense has.
That Cardinals offense got so bad towards the end that you quit wondering if they could score and started wondering if they could get a first down. The offense was a wreck.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Cardinals offense got so bad towards the end that you quit wondering if they could score and started wondering if they could get a first down. The offense was a wreck.
My gut says it isnt Murray but the data might suggest that it is. You had a sequence with Rodgers beating the Cardinals with practice squad level players, then Kyler gets hurt for 3 games and Colt McCoy goes 2-1. Then Kyler comes back and he loses 5 of 7 including getting smoked by the Rams in the playoffs.

If you're Kyler Murray, this isn't your 'time to get paid' moment. This is your 'time to prove you're still a starting QB' moment. And I think he is. But he does have to prove it imo

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds a lot like the Baker Mayfield situation tbh
Yeah but just surprised bc Kyler played great 2 seasons ago, maybe they see a concerning decline?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but just surprised bc Kyler played great 2 seasons ago, maybe they see a concerning decline?
So here is the disconnect I have here. Kliff Kingsbury and Steve Keim were extended recently until 2027. Ownership obviously believes in those two. This, again, is a team with two late season collapses in a row.

If you asked the media if the issues were Kingbury or Murray, I suspect almost everyone would point to Kingsbury. Kliff had Mahomes in college and Kyler in the pros and couldnt win big with either then people will make the assumption - fair or not - that Kingsbury is the hack. I'm sure Kliff is aware of this.

But if they were moving Murray, they would've already done it, I'd imagine. So...this is just an evolving story of a QB that wont get paid what he wants

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here is the disconnect I have here. Kliff Kingsbury and Steve Keim were extended recently until 2027. Ownership obviously believes in those two. This, again, is a team with two late season collapses in a row.

If you asked the media if the issues were Kingbury or Murray, I suspect almost everyone would point to Kingsbury. Kliff had Mahomes in college and Kyler in the pros and couldnt win big with either then people will make the assumption - fair or not - that Kingsbury is the hack. I'm sure Kliff is aware of this.

But if they were moving Murray, they would've already done it, I'd imagine. So...this is just an evolving story of a QB that wont get paid what he wants
Good points. It just seems if “your guy” wants to get paid and you believe in him, you pay him. Plain and simple. We could see another QB blockbuster trade

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals were the best team in the NFL for the 1st 7 weeks of the 2021 season. That included a Week 4 demolition of the Rams when Murray did whatever he wanted against the defense. Here's the problem: When Murray is fully healthy and he has great players around him he's awesome. When health limits his mobility he's far less effective as a passer because he can't buy time outside of the pocket. If he can't break edge containment he's much more like Jimmy Garoppolo. An awesome ceiling and a Jimmy Garoppolo floor is a pretty strong combination. So far Murray hasn't been able to stay healthy. I think his winning game against the Rams this year was the 1 time he's been healthy against them in 7 meetings. At some point injuries are going to rob him of his ceiling.

Long and unnecessary paragraph here self-censored.

I would advise him to sit out much of the 2022 season without a new contract. It would be his best chance of forcing the Cardinals into a long-term deal. My guess is he'll begrudgingly come back and play the full season though. It's what players choose to do.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of the Cards, AJ Green is so washed. Why bring him back. He singlehandedly bungled their season momentum away in that Packers game and once again just useless in the playoffs. Feels so good not to deal with that nonsense anymore.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 years and 23 mill

14 mill guaranteed.

Boy that is a shockingly low deal for a CB with his ability.

I know he is up there in age....but he was really good last year when he played.

That is in the running for best deals of the offseason.