• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, Baker is worth about a 4th round pick. The upside is there but he has blown through his rookie contract so it's hard to care about upside. His value is based on him being injured last year.

Jimmy G isn't worth anything.

I was comping Baker Mayfield to Jimmy G when Baker was coming out of college. Now people are comping Matt Corral to Baker. Teams might prefer to take their shot at the draft.
The Browns may have to cover part of his salary to boot, much like the Panthers did when they traded Bridgewater to the Bronco's. It's a buyers market at this point. All interest has dried up for Baker as teams have turned to alternatives.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns may have to cover part of his salary to boot, much like the Panthers did when they traded Bridgewater to the Bronco's. It's a buyers market at this point. All interest has dried up for Baker as teams have turned to alternatives.
I could see it working out like that if only because the Browns lost their leverage.

I think 3 QBs go rd 1. Maybe as few as 2 and as many as 5. Teams looking for upside will go that route. Rookie QB contracts hurt guys like Baker a lot.

I do like Baker more than Darnold, Goff, and Lock. I'm just not sure that he has a market

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see it working out like that if only because the Browns lost their leverage.

I think 3 QBs go rd 1. Maybe as few as 2 and as many as 5. Teams looking for upside will go that route. Rookie QB contracts hurt guys like Baker a lot.

I do like Baker more than Darnold, Goff, and Lock. I'm just not sure that he has a market
Oh sure I could see liking him more then those players, but he's in that bottom tier which doesn't move the needle and he's getting paid 18 million which puts a big crimp in the cap space and at this point teams cap space has shrunk immensely. Teams have been burnt by these inflated salaries in the past, Panthers and Bridgewater for example. Darnold also serves as example of why teams shouldn't invest much in marginal QBs. Baker had to have shoulder surgery after last season,another concern. After the draft his market will shrink even further and the Browns will have to hope a team starting QB has a major injury and is in contention enough to be seeking a QB. Or the Browns just take their lumps and do what must be done and trade him for what teams are willing to give.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, Baker is worth about a 4th round pick. The upside is there but he has blown through his rookie contract so it's hard to care about upside. His value is based on him being injured last year.

I was comping Baker Mayfield to Jimmy G when Baker was coming out of college. Now people are comping Matt Corral to Baker. Teams might prefer to take their shot at the draft.
I would take a 3rd or 4th for Baker to this point. I still believe he can be a very good QB on a team. He can make a playoff run with say a Colts team, just an example, but to this point on his last year at $18M hard to find much value. I'm sure a lot more teams will be interested if he hits the market, really depends on the draft too.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Titans are interesting, I mean this year Tannehill is their starting QB and most likely next season too. He is 34 and his cap hit the next two seasons: $38.6M and $36.6M. Yikes.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Titans are interesting, I mean this year Tannehill is their starting QB and most likely next season too. He is 34 and his cap hit the next two seasons: $38.6M and $36.6M. Yikes.
Despite the play-off loss, the Titans will stick with Tannehill for now. Obviously the cap hit but I think Vrabel likes what Tanny brings to the team. It just seems to be a good fit. And they did get the #1 seed last year even though Henry missed half the season.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised Tyrann Mathieu hasn't been signed yet. A lot of rumors floating around but nothing solid. He must be asking for a long term deal that has teams being hesitant.
Chiefs were the best fit he'd find in the league and he wanted top tier money.

Outside of the Colts, its hard to imagine too many teams willing to fork over a lot of money for him but I figured it was between the Colts and Saints.

He was also banged up at the start and end of last season. Missed the Buffalo playoff game which is partially why the Chiefs secondary was so embarrassing that game

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the chain is Jimmy to Baker to Corral, buyer beware on Corral lol.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With the lack of hype on these incoming QBs, I wouldn't be surprised to see 2-3 go in the early 2nd instead of the late 1st to actually avoid that 5th year option.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was pretty bad though. Why not Dede Westbrook instead? Not the right fit?
Its just what he does as a GM. Im sure he has some scouting notes from him coming out that he had some great upside and he never reached it.

Cam Erving. Mike Hughes. DeAndre Baker. Damon Arnette. Kelvin Benjamin. Taco Charlton. Emmanuel Ogbah (pick 32). Its just what he does. Short term commitment with a high profile player who needs to rehab his career.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really can't do this in the NFL. I guess you can convert a portion of his salary into a bonus and pay it before the trade becomes official, but that's a little risky.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really can't do this in the NFL. I guess you can convert a portion of his salary into a bonus and pay it before the trade becomes official, but that's a little risky.
Didn't the Panthers do exactly that? They had 10 million bonus ( dead money) for Bridgewater then agreed to pay 7 more million so the broncos only were on the hook for only 3 million.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't the Panthers do exactly that? They had 10 million bonus ( dead money) for Bridgewater then agreed to pay 7 more million so the broncos only were on the hook for only 3 million.
I'm not sure what they did, but yeah, like I said you could if you want to, but the deal better go through if you do. I guess if his salary is guaranteed anyway there isn't a huge downside if it doesn't

"You really can't do this in the NFL. I guess you can convert a portion of his salary into a bonus and pay it before the trade becomes official, but that's a little risky."

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not quite that previously leaked contract, but the team was at least correct.

I am sure the new Vikings GM was pretty frustrated to see outrageous contract terms all over social media just as he was sitting down with Smith.

I still have no idea what this means for Hunter. Do we have a pair of edge rushers......or is he Hunter's replacement? Have to wait to find out I guess.

I like Smith. But that is a lot of money for a guy who didnt play last season.