• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

Well...topic is subjective.

I'll just point to Herbert who I like very much, great arm, solid effort, but? What curve are you grading with?
If I had Herbert and I was facing any of the other 7, I would feel good about my chances.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't count Dak after last year, but I do think he could rebound in the right scheme. He said "high-end" so I was strict with the cutoff criteria. Left out Tua, Cousins, Stafford (who could bounce back and prove he has multiple years left and would be right up with the high-end guys).

Those are the only 8 that are sure things.

So guys that have done it for multiple seasons prior are not, but guys that have done it for one or two seasons so far are?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahomes
Hurts
Burrow
Allen
Herbert
Lawrence
Rodgers
Jackson

Not one of them did it in a single season. Hurts was lowest pick at the end of the 2nd. Hurts sat 1 year, then was starter 1 year, then became high end. You could count Burrow as high end immediately, but he was the 1st pick and also missed half the year. Lawrence was 1st pick and still took him more than a year.
I'd argue the criticism on Herbert and Jackson is that they both peaked relatively early and haven't taken the next step. So 2 were good right away imo.

Hurts, Lawrence, and Allen had to develop although you could argue their improvement correlates with receiving better surrounding talent. Rodgers and Mahomes got the luxury to sit.

Last edited:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So guys that have done it for multiple seasons prior are not, but guys that have done it for one or two seasons so far are?
What? Lawrence has been expected to be a high end starter for like 5 years and now that he has Doug Pederson he will be. To me he showed that he is. A regression would be a huge surprise.

Dak was playing above his ability for a few years. I'll call it the Oline and running game that propped him up. Certainly not worried about Dak being the best QB in the league when we face him.

Jackson when healthy is an offensive force. So I considered a healthy version as a high-end QB. He did win MVP.

Stafford is what you have a problem with? He could be totally done. That's not what I expect and Stafford is a high-end QB for most of his career stuck in a shit situation, but going into next season he's not a safe bet as a high-end QB.

Herbert's a bit of an enigma, but like I said I'll use him against any of the others and feel good about the position.

If you have a problem with Hurts, then you're just being silly. He's a high-end QB and also an MVP candidate.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd argue the criticism on Herbert and Jackson is that they both peaked relatively early and haven't taken the next step. So 2 were good right away imo.

Hurts, Lawrence, and Allen had to develop although you could argue their improvement correlates with receiving better surrounding talent. Rodgers and Mahomes got the luxury to sit.
Jackson sat half his first year. He wasn't a high-end starter until year 2.

Herbert was pretty good year one. 30+ TDs is big time. The next year he got to 5000 yards with 38 TDs. I'd have to go back and watch all his throws both years to split the difference here.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson sat half his first year
He did go 6-1 as a starter his rookie year. Granted he did win his MVP in year 2 so there was a jump in play but he was a respected starter after his rookie season imo. Watson was also solid his rookie year but I think his season was derailed by injuries.

Imo, most rookie QBs are fine to start year 1 in the NFL as long as there is some surrounding talent and decent coaching.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, most rookie QBs are fine to start year 1 in the NFL as long as there is some surrounding talent and decent coaching.

Unfortunately, not all QBs are lucky enough to be drafted in the middle to late 1st round.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Troy Aikman, who was thrown to the wolves when he was a rookie, has always said that it's better for the rookie to play than sit.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Troy Aikman, who was thrown to the wolves when he was a rookie, has always said that it's better for the rookie to play than sit.

Troy Aikman once said that Josh Rosen was one of the best QB prospects of all time too so......

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Troy Aikman once said that Josh Rosen was one of the best QB prospects of all time too so......
Eh, lots of folks were wrong about Rosen (or any prospect for that matter). No one can be right about everything.
David Carr might have a different opinion.
Peyton Manning doesn't. He agrees with Aikman. I'm not saying that they're always right--I"m saying there is plenty of weight on that end of the scale.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the exact wrong way to make this decision is with a blanket philosophy driving the decision. Every QB is going to be different. For some QBs playing right away and being thrown to the wolves is a productive experience. For others being played too early can create a crisis of confidence and it can ruin their psyche.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the exact wrong way to make this decision is with a blanket philosophy driving the decision. Every QB is going to be different. For some QBs playing right away and being thrown to the wolves is a productive experience. For others being played too early can create a crisis of confidence and it can ruin their psyche.
Some are different. Look at McNair. He sat for the better part of 2 years. Similar with Rodgers.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some are different. Look at McNair. He sat for the better part of 2 years. Similar with Rodgers.
Look at a guy like Geno Smith. He was dismissed as a bust but he’s come back to be a plus NFL starter. And then you have Peyton Manning and Troy Aikman who were thrown to the wolves and came out on the other side better QBs.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at a guy like Geno Smith. He was dismissed as a bust but he’s come back to be a plus NFL starter. And then you have Peyton Manning and Troy Aikman who were thrown to the wolves and came out on the other side better QBs.
And Geno Smith still isn't good, he had a great first half last season but got worse as the season went on.