• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Geno Smith still isn't good, he had a great first half last season but got worse as the season went on.
Fair. I didn’t catch a ton of them. Just seemed like their schedule got tougher. I think they caught the Niners like 3 times counting playoffs after like week 10 or 11

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair. I didn’t catch a ton of them. Just seemed like their schedule got tougher. I think they caught the Niners like 3 times counting playoffs after like week 10 or 11
A lot of things happened. Defense was shit, Lockett and Walker got hurt and were limited, etc. But Geno wasn't good enough to elevate his play and make others better around him. Geno is what 20 other QBs in the league are. Good if things around him are good but not great and not able to carry the team. We will see if he improves on that or what but there wasn't any options in the draft or FA that are an improvement or even as good so the Hawks using resources to find one was pointless this year.
PS. Geno was also very gun shy vs. the Niners last year for whatever reason. His nerves got the best of him and he didn't let it loose like he did vs. lesser defenses. He came out in the WC game and had the team in position for the upset but when he fumbles in the red zone, it was obvious the moment got too big for him. The whole team played bad as well. I hate giving all the praise to QBs and hate laying all the blame on QBs. Football just doesn't work that way.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a stupid question, but they released Hopkins with a 22.6 million cap hit. They saved $8.15 million by cutting him.

Would they have been able to trade him somewhere if they agreed to pay the 22.6? So therefore someone would get him for 8 million (and whatever they trade with)? Or was there some sort of restriction? I understand that there’s a difference of paying somebody, bonuses that are already been paid, and cap hit. Whatever it is that causes the 22.6 count on Arizona side as what I mean.

The reason why I ask is because I understand that teams will not want to trade if they are going to be cut anyway, but you couldn’t get him for 8 million otherwise. Can a team not agree to pay 22.6 out of the 30 million?

I understand that Arizona would not have gotten something great back in return, but now they got nothing other than 8 million saved that they would get if they traded anyway.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a stupid question, but they released Hopkins with a 22.6 million cap hit. They saved $8.15 million by cutting him.

Would they have been able to trade him somewhere if they agreed to pay the 22.6? So therefore someone would get him for 8 million (and whatever they trade with)? Or was there some sort of restriction? I understand that there’s a difference of paying somebody, bonuses that are already been paid, and cap hit. Whatever it is that causes the 22.6 count on Arizona side as what I mean.

The reason why I ask is because I understand that teams will not want to trade if they are going to be cut anyway, but you couldn’t get him for 8 million otherwise. Can a team not agree to pay 22.6 out of the 30 million?

I understand that Arizona would not have gotten something great back in return, but now they got nothing other than 8 million saved that they would get if they traded anyway.
USC QB

Murray lasted a year longer than the coach

shout out to scooby. one of the few Zona Card. fans

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ignore the dead money. The Cardinals were on the hook for that regardless of what happened. Hopkins had a contract for $19.4M in 2023 and $14M+ in 2024, (and supposedly he wants a pay rise and guarantees). That contract is what would have been traded.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, eaglesnut will be in here any minute now to go on a rant about this idiot being screwed over and how awful the Steelers are.
Now that you mentioned it, the Steelers really could use a precise and crafty route runner with superior quickness and great hands.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,227.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leonard Floyd to Buffalo on a 1 year deal. Has had at least 9 sacks the last 3 seasons.

Reunites with Von Miller from their time with the LA Rams.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leonard Floyd to Buffalo on a 1 year deal. Has had at least 9 sacks the last 3 seasons.

That is such a huge signing. Not sure why Floyd was not a higher priority for teams. Miller is probably still going to need some time to heal, good stopgap that becomes great depth.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,227.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is such a huge signing. Not sure why Floyd was not a higher priority for teams. Miller is probably still going to need some time to heal, good stopgap that becomes great depth.
Yep.

And they can play together when Miller gets healthy.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Bills needed to add depth for the pass rush. Their defensive shortcomings got exposed a bit after Miller went down. Maybe Floyd will help. Hard to say though. How much of his success in LA could be partly due to the Aaron Donald effect? The guy has been healthy and steady though. 1 yr deal is a smart move.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,227.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bills needed to add depth for the pass rush. Their defensive shortcomings got exposed a bit after Miller went down. Maybe Floyd will help. Hard to say though. How much of his success in LA could be partly due to the Aaron Donald effect? The guy has been healthy and steady though. 1 yr deal is a smart move.
He was a good player with the Bears before he went to the Rams.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The more surprising Bills move to me was extending Ed Oliver. The assumption was he was out after the season because they couldn't afford him. Adding Floyd can only help Oliver on the inside. Still surprised they haven't added a vet LB.