• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,698.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well...that is the problem.

you guys put way too much in that last game of the season.
Not sure what you mean. I have hope for Howell but understand he was a 5th rounder for a reason

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what you mean
"depends on Howell"

I think this is the problem.
Compounded by who your team thought was the 16th best player in the draft with Gonzalez on the board.
I could be wrong. :noidea:

just think the entire team needs to carry Howell for your team to contend for a WC, and the draft seemed lacking.

BUT...as you tell me, McCarthy is the worst coach in the division.
:wash:

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,698.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"depends on Howell"

Compounded by who your team thought was the 16th best player in the draft with Gonzalez on the board.

just think the entire team needs to carry Howell for your team to contend for a WC, and the draft seemed lacking.

Yes McCarthy one of the worst in the nfl

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,698.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted Wright in round 1. Gonzos passion for football was in question. Not worth the risk imo. Redskins already have that problem with young

Last edited:

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well...that is the problem.

you guys put way too much in that last game of the season.
You may well end up being right, but your comment could also have been aimed at the Chiefs after Mahomes' rookie season. The Commanders aren't good enough to be a Championship threat without a better than average starter at QB, and they couldn't realistically acquire 1. If Howell flops they haven't lost much.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hasn't this particular "standout veteran" had some injury issues the last few years? He's only started 10 games the last 2 years combined.
I'd love to say reporting got worse with twitter, but truth is it has stayed just as bad.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may well end up being right, but your comment could also have been aimed at the Chiefs after Mahomes' rookie season. The Commanders aren't good enough to be a Championship threat without a better than average starter at QB, and they couldn't realistically acquire 1. If Howell flops they haven't lost much.

Sure, but that implies that Howell and Mahomes are remotely close as prospects. I like Howell, but he's still a longshot.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but that implies that Howell and Mahomes are remotely close as prospects. I like Howell, but he's still a longshot.
Yeah, I agree. Howell was a late rounder they just hope will amount to something. KC knew there was something in Mahomes and went after him and sitting him for a year was a luxury they could afford at the time.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't imply anything. I didn't compare Howell and Mahomes. I responded to a post that said the Commanders were taking too much notice of what Howell did in Week 18. I think the poster who made the comment who is putting too much into what happened in Week 18. The Commanders are doing what they're doing regardless of Howell playing well, badly, or not at all in their last game. The Chiefs decision to trade Alex Smith and go with Mahomes in 2018 wouldn't have been based on Mahomes' 1 start in his rookie season but rather on what they had seen over the previous 6 months.

Howell looked like a potential future starting QB in Week 1 of 2022 preseason, but he also looked very raw. He reminded me of Goff who was totally out of his depth in his rookie season. Howell could be awful in 2023 but for a team that will struggle to contend in 2023 developing a potential high-end starter, (even if he is a long-shot), makes more sense than paying for a FA retread. I liked Ridder in 2022 preseason and most fans seem to be ok with him being the Falcons provisional 2023 starter.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"depends on Howell"

Redskins fans qb analysis seems flawed. Remember when their fans said two firsts or three firsts for a qb would set them back too far. Not worth it. They lost two seconds, young has disappointed, and multiple seasons later, no qb. Pay whatever you have to for a franchise qb.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many high end starters are there in the NFL, and can this be accomplished in one season?
Mahomes
Hurts
Burrow
Allen
Herbert
Lawrence
Rodgers
Jackson

Not one of them did it in a single season. Hurts was lowest pick at the end of the 2nd. Hurts sat 1 year, then was starter 1 year, then became high end. You could count Burrow as high end immediately, but he was the 1st pick and also missed half the year. Lawrence was 1st pick and still took him more than a year.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahomes
Hurts
Burrow
Allen
Herbert
Lawrence
Rodgers
Jackson

Not one of them did it in a single season. Hurts was lowest pick at the end of the 2nd. Hurts sat 1 year, then was starter 1 year, then became high end. You could count Burrow as high end immediately, but he was the 1st pick and also missed half the year. Lawrence was 1st pick and still took him more than a year.
Let the adults talk.
Go outside and play

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, a not very concealed shot at Dak, while neglecting others.
Dak never was a high end NFL QB. He's had solid NFL seasons and is an extremely high end NFL leader, BUT you can't count on high end play weekly.

I count TWO QB'S going into this season who can be counted on for high end QB play weekly. Thankfully this game defines the word team.

I only brought this up when a poster referenced multiple high end QB players in the yearly draft.

College is college and one high end season in the NFL is not a career...if it were, I'd argue Dak.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, a not very concealed shot at Dak, while neglecting others.
I wouldn't count Dak after last year, but I do think he could rebound in the right scheme. He said "high-end" so I was strict with the cutoff criteria. Left out Tua, Cousins, Stafford (who could bounce back and prove he has multiple years left and would be right up with the high-end guys).

Those are the only 8 that are sure things.