• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a good player, @Mebert, no doubts about that. You guys will love him. The issue is he sounds a little crazy, and he is also undersized, which I think is part of the reason teams have been skeptical of giving him a long-term deal.
I did notice the majority of his picks come after someone else in the defense gets a hand on the ball. So I am fully expecting that side of his game to regress. Even with fewer turnovers he is an upgrade just about everywhere else. Any way you slice it, Lions have gone from worst secondary in the NFL to league average, maybe even better. That is a fantastic offseason.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is also worth noting that Campbell and Glenn both coached him while he was in NO, so they have some decent insight into him that is beyond regular tape as well.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did notice the majority of his picks come after someone else in the defense gets a hand on the ball. So I am fully expecting that side of his game to regress. Even with fewer turnovers he is an upgrade just about everywhere else. Any way you slice it, Lions have gone from worst secondary in the NFL to league average, maybe even better. That is a fantastic offseason.
Are they using him as a safety or is the plan to use him as their slot corner?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they using him as a safety or is the plan to use him as their slot corner?
My guess is a hybrid. Lions run 3 safeties a lot. Having a safety/corner hybrid is something they used a lot last year with Will Harris, I think he takes over that role and moves Harris to the bench. Unless Tracy Walker is not fully healthy yet, then he would play a lot more safety.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here's another article discussing Smith's remarks. For some reason, they choose to completely ignore the fact that a team would have to give up 2 #1 picks to sign Jackson. Presumably, that is a big deterrent for quite a few teams.

You would have to give up 2 1sts to get any upper echelon QB, especially a younger one. Rodgers will likely cost 2 #1s and he might retire when the wind blows next.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 0.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is a hybrid. Lions run 3 safeties a lot. Having a safety/corner hybrid is something they used a lot last year with Will Harris, I think he takes over that role and moves Harris to the bench. Unless Tracy Walker is not fully healthy yet, then he would play a lot more safety.

That's basically what Chauncey Gardner-Johnson is--a nickel DB. He's a very good one, but he is better suited to that increasingly important role than any other.

Philly tried to use him as a more traditional every-down safety because of need, and because they already have Avonte Maddox (Detroit native) as their slot corner, who is also a bit of a hybrid. But the Saints also used him as a slot DB.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would have to give up 2 1sts to get any upper echelon QB, especially a younger one. Rodgers will likely cost 2 #1s and he might retire when the wind blows next.

Yeah but Rodgers contract isnt going to be super long term and fully guaranteed.

And he also is a QB that you know will age pretty well.

And Aaron Rodgers works pretty well in any type of NFL offense.

None of which is true of Jackson.

It shouldn't be a huge surprise that no team is jumping at the opportunity to chase Jackson. Especially knowing that Baltimore likely will just match the contract that is worked out anyway. This is Balt just trying to get another team to do the dirty work of setting up a contract structure for them. Because Jackson is operating as his own agent, it is a messy process. They are trying to keep their hands a little cleaner by having another team talk to him about realistic cap percentages and guarantees.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been (reluctantly) saying as a rival Bears fan that your Lions are building in the right direction. I like/hate the moves they are making in the offseason to bolster an already talented roster. I've said several times now that assuming there isn't any drastic actions taken in the rest of this offseason, I see your boys as the team to beat in the Norris.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad...you read wrong.

No way Dallas ever even thought paying 12M per for 3 years.
If they made any kind of offer it’s likely he left money on the table and now he’s playing for a rebuild and not a 12 win team. The numbers may be in dispute…him betting on himself and losing is not in dispute.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh shit. I just figured it out. It is Coach Campbells fault Rodgers is leaving GB! :shocked:

End of last season. Campbell mentioned all he wants is for the Packers to lose, so their final win kept the Packers out of the playoffs.
Rodgers realizing he is now outmatched by the mighty Lions. He needed to get the fuck out of that division!
Campbell scared Rodgers away! :heh:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they made any kind of offer it’s likely he left money on the table and now he’s playing for a rebuild and not a 12 win team. The numbers may be in dispute…him betting on himself and losing is not in dispute.
Whatever...I just know Dallas was never going 12 per. Hell, Schultz's agent came out 30 minutes after this hit saying false.