• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Glenn is going to be fired after this season?

Not sure I’ve ever heard that before.

I know I’ve never thought it. And I’m rather critical of everything Lions.

Dogshit talent typically gets you dogshit results. Which we all witnessed last season from that horrid defense.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dogshit talent typically gets you dogshit results. Which we all witnessed last season from that horrid defense.
Yep. Write it down. Dude is clueless.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't CJGJ kind of a douche about Gannon on Gannon's way out? Does he really think he's getting an upgraded DC with Glenn?

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah and it usually gets the coordinator of the Dogshit fired. Because Campbell sure as hell doesn't want to be the fall guy.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and it usually gets the coordinator of the Dogshit fired. Because Campbell sure as hell doesn't want to be the fall guy.
I mean, he fired his first OC (Anthony Lynn) after a year. And stripped him of play calling duties mid season in 21. But that was because the offense had talent worthy of competing.

The defense is a different story. Well, was. I’m assuming the line and linebackers have a lot of talent coming in the draft.

Patricia stripped most of the talent out before he got the axe.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,698.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think he’s not an Eagle because of the cap? He got 6.5 guaranteed and up to 8 in incentives. Something must have happened during the process that the Eagles didn’t match.

This is a stupid move from CJGJ. I don’t blame him for being butt hurt over the Eagles but go play in a real scheme like the Bengals. He’s going on a show me deal to arguably the worst Defensive coordinator in the league. Aaron Glenn is likely getting fired after this season and this dude is gonna go play safety in that scheme? He’s going to get hung out to dry.
He “ain’t” want to be in philly. :noidea:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was really hoping they could get Bobby Wagner.

But had no intention of seeing as much of an up grade in the secondary. If two of those picks are guys who can step in and contribute on defense, it’s a whole new ballgame.

I’m still wondering if Glasgow is depth at G/C, or an option to take over the RG spot. That one really surprised me.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think he’s not an Eagle because of the cap? He got 6.5 guaranteed and up to 8 in incentives. Something must have happened during the process that the Eagles didn’t match.

This is a stupid move from CJGJ. I don’t blame him for being butt hurt over the Eagles but go play in a real scheme like the Bengals. He’s going on a show me deal to arguably the worst Defensive coordinator in the league. Aaron Glenn is likely getting fired after this season and this dude is gonna go play safety in that scheme? He’s going to get hung out to dry.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 0.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like Gardner-Johnson and his agent misplayed their hand. They could have signed initially for more with Philly for multiple years, but thought they could get more from other teams on the open market, and wound up signing a one year deal for less. Oops. I am happy overall with what Philly did. They were never going to keep everyone, but keeping the starting corners is more important IMO than safeties. Hopefully they can add pieces at safety and linebacker in the rest of FA and in the draft.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like Gardner-Johnson and his agent misplayed their hand. They could have signed initially for more with Philly for multiple years, but thought they could get more from other teams on the open market, and wound up signing a one year deal for less. Oops. I am happy overall with what Philly did. They were never going to keep everyone, but keeping the starting corners is more important IMO than safeties. Hopefully they can add pieces at safety and linebacker in the rest of FA and in the draft.
I’m reading 3 years 36 million is what he turned down. First two years were for a guaranteed 20 million. He fumbled the bag. Apparently, the Saints offered him more and he turned that down. The Saints were going to make him the highest paid slot corner in the NFL. This dude is Florida Man level crazy.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can absolutely afford him. They are one restructure away. The Eagles walked away from him, not the other way around. You just cited the player that would be restructured haha.
You misunderstand my point. You can always restructure every penny which is why I brought up Slay and Johnson, but a dollar you save against this year's cap is a dollar you spend in a future year. It doesn't disappear. I'm not saying you can't fit CGJ under the cap mathematically because any team can. I'm saying there is a plan for want each team wants to do and even someone as reckless with the cap as Howie has a long term plan. It seems the plan was CGJ over Slay knowing that both didn't make cap sense, but once he balked at the contract offer Howie switched back to Slay and probably smartly IMO.

Eagles have a little over $3M in cap space. IIRC Slays restructure saves $10M this year and if you restructure Johnson to the max that saves another $10M so they can push their free cap space to around $23M which sounds like a ton of cap space. You know Howie is going to acquire at least one more pricy player via trade or free agency this year and one other veteran, right? So let's assume the pricy player costs them $5M with a lot of backloading and the other costs them $3M. Then you need room to operate during the year. Let's say another $4M. That leaves you at $11M. You guys are the ones saying they will re-do Hurts this year. By cutting Slay they could have paid for his restructure but now they don't get any post 6/1 savings. Let's say Hurts gets a $40M singing bonus. That's an $8M hit ($40M SB/5 years) to 2023. That takes you to $3M in space for CGJ. If he was getting more from Philly than the $8M he signed for (Let's say 3 years and $30M) it doesn't fit regardless of how you backload it. You can easily change around the above numbers/strategy to make him fit as some are obviously hypothetical. But the point I am making is that even Howie has a long term plan and if you do the above and fit him in all you have done is hurt a few years out and at some point a big cap hit comes with Hurts' new contract. So what I am saying is not that you can't fit him mathematically, I'm saying he was cut because of your cap issues and he absolutely was or you would have re-signed him. Your great OL depth is mostly gone now. Your dominant DT is gone now. The cap stress is real no matter how you want to pretend it isn't. It slowly gets worse each year when you kick the can down the road because the cap doesn't increase as much as the salaries being pushed back.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You misunderstand my point. You can always restructure every penny which is why I brought up Slay and Johnson, but a dollar you save against this year's cap is a dollar you spend in a future year. It doesn't disappear. I'm not saying you can't fit CGJ under the cap mathematically because any team can. I'm saying there is a plan for want each team wants to do and even someone as reckless with the cap as Howie has a long term plan. It seems the plan was CGJ over Slay knowing that both didn't make cap sense, but once he balked at the contract offer Howie switched back to Slay and probably smartly IMO.

Eagles have a little over $3M in cap space. IIRC Slays restructure saves $10M this year and if you restructure Johnson to the max that saves another $10M so they can push their free cap space to around $23M which sounds like a ton of cap space. You know Howie is going to acquire at least one more pricy player via trade or free agency this year and one other veteran, right? So let's assume the pricy player costs them $5M with a lot of backloading and the other costs them $3M. Then you need room to operate during the year. Let's say another $4M. That leaves you at $11M. You guys are the ones saying they will re-do Hurts this year. By cutting Slay they could have paid for his restructure but now they don't get any post 6/1 savings. Let's say Hurts gets a $40M singing bonus. That's an $8M hit ($40M SB/5 years) to 2023. That takes you to $3M in space for CGJ. If he was getting more from Philly than the $8M he signed for (Let's say 3 years and $30M) it doesn't fit regardless of how you backload it. You can easily change around the above numbers/strategy to make him fit as some are obviously hypothetical. But the point I am making is that even Howie has a long term plan and if you do the above and fit him in all you have done is hurt a few years out and at some point a big cap hit comes with Hurts' new contract. So what I am saying is not that you can't fit him mathematically, I'm saying he was cut because of your cap issues and he absolutely was or you would have re-signed him. Your great OL depth is mostly gone now. Your dominant DT is gone now. The cap stress is real no matter how you want to pretend it isn't. It slowly gets worse each year when you kick the can down the road because the cap doesn't increase as much as the salaries being pushed back.
The plan revolves around value. That’s seen in this negotiation with CJGJ. When the value wasn’t there the Eagles walked away. And the Eagles OL depth isn’t gone as long as Jeff Stoudtland is there. He took a 7th round draft choice rugby project and turned him into a plus LT in the NFL. Kicking the can down the road has never resulted in the Eagles being unable to accomplish their off season goals. So I’ll believe it when I see it.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The plan revolves around value. That’s seen in this negotiation with CJGJ. When the value wasn’t there the Eagles walked away. And the Eagles OL depth isn’t gone as long as Jeff Stoudtland is there. He took a 7th round draft choice rugby project and turned him into a plus LT in the NFL. Kicking the can down the road has never resulted in the Eagles being unable to accomplish their off season goals. So I’ll believe it when I see it.
fair enough

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m reading 3 years 36 million is what he turned down. First two years were for a guaranteed 20 million. He fumbled the bag. Apparently, the Saints offered him more and he turned that down. The Saints were going to make him the highest paid slot corner in the NFL. This dude is Florida Man level crazy.
He for sure has supreme confidence. This end result actually makes sense for all sides when you think about it. He was nobody of note before he joined one of, if not the best defense in football. So teams are going to look at that at wonder if it was a fluke. He believes he is elite, so he wants paid like it. So now he has a prove it deal, if he shows up in Detroit and is the same playmaker he was for the Eagles then next year he is looking at a Marcus Williams like contract.

I don't mind a DB that has supreme confidence like this, it is kind of mandatory for the job.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 0.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a good player, @Mebert, no doubts about that. You guys will love him. The issue is he sounds a little crazy, and he is also undersized, which I think is part of the reason teams have been skeptical of giving him a long-term deal.