• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,130.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like Ziegler (think he could be a really good FO guy) a lot but not McDumbass.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s likely a deal they can get away from after this year if they want to. It’s only for $23 million spread out over 3 years. That’s a huge difference from 3 guaranteed years which is what he was seeking.
I doubt it is structured in a way that they can get out after this year without serious cap pain. After 2024 is more likely

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles finally add Marcus Mariota. It just didn’t cost them 6 players and all of their draft picks to get him like Chip Kelly wanted to do.
I didn't see that. That's a smart move by them. He isn't any good as a starter but as a backup he is fine. Even more important could be that they wouldn't have to change the system or play calling if Hurts goes down again

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it is structured in a way that they can get out after this year without serious cap pain. After 2024 is more likely
Haha, one of these days you’ll learn my guy. When you know how to play the game, serious cap pain doesn’t come. The Eagles have more dead cap on their ledger this year than any other team and yet they’ve been able to accomplish all of their goals. The longer CJGJ goes unsigned the likelihood of him coming back grows. Dude overestimated the safety market. He’s not Bates at 16 million. Poyer only got like 7-8. The Eagles are still paying Brandon Brooks on their cap. This system works because the cap always rises. If something is 4% of your cap this year, in 3 years it will be 2.5% of that future cap. When you do that with every sizable contract as Howie does it makes a huge difference over time. It’s brilliant. It’s tantamount to a pyramid scheme or a Ponzi scheme with no fear of it falling down because the system doesn’t police it. The cap in this form has been around now for almost 30 years. It’s not hard to conceptualize how experts have been able to become masters at rigging the system.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see that. That's a smart move by them. He isn't any good as a starter but as a backup he is fine. Even more important could be that they wouldn't have to change the system or play calling if Hurts goes down again
Exactly the way I see it. If Hurts goes down on a Sunday and you have the Thursday night game that coming week, good Fucking luck trying to install shit so you’re ready to go. NFL coaches plan for everything, so the answer to this is wasted time in OTAs, meetings, install, etc…that gets wasted on working your back up system.

I’m hoping the kid from UCLA Dorian Thompson Robinson goes undrafted. I’d like to see the Eagles sign him and give him a look for the very same reason.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gardner Minshew to the Colts. Maybe he'll get his chance to start.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slay gets 6 million more but no new cap dollars have been added. They’ve taken 23 million and spread it over 3 years. Not sure yet what the breakdown per year of cap is. Eagles will be in position to cut him after 2023 or after 2024 if they want to move on.
No new cap dollars THIS YEAR, but still more next year, regardless if he plays our not.

Shane_O_Mac812

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gardner Minshew to the Colts. Maybe he'll get his chance to start.
As a Colts fan, I'm excited about this, I know he is not great but his look is the textbook Indiana native. My personal opinion is if in the draft we get Young or Stroud, Minshew is the back up and the rookie starts immediately. If we get Levis or Richardson, Minshew is the starter until those two are ready.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Colts fan, I'm excited about this, I know he is not great but his look is the textbook Indiana native. My personal opinion is if in the draft we get Young or Stroud, Minshew is the back up and the rookie starts immediately. If we get Levis or Richardson, Minshew is the starter until those two are ready.

Yes, I like this move too. He played decent in Jacksonville. He is a good bridge QB.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the moment we can truly point to as the time Belichick shown that he has dementia.

Like my Grandma asking when we are going to see her brother constantly for YEARS even though Uncle Ted was dead for over a decade.

Belichick: Eerrmm. Do we have two great TE's on the roster?!
Staff: Bill we just traded Jonnu a couple of days ago.
Belichick: Need two TE's.

Wonder if Bill is so senile that he calls Hunter Henry Gronk and will call Gesicki a murderer.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You mean Dak's replacement, right? :noidea:

Mariota as the backup to Hurts makes sense to me. I think he's extremely mediocre but he's a dual threat type and if Hurts misses a few games they can likely run the same offense with Mariota (though far less effectively, I'm sure).

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, one of these days you’ll learn my guy. When you know how to play the game, serious cap pain doesn’t come. The Eagles have more dead cap on their ledger this year than any other team and yet they’ve been able to accomplish all of their goals. The longer CJGJ goes unsigned the likelihood of him coming back grows. Dude overestimated the safety market. He’s not Bates at 16 million. Poyer only got like 7-8. The Eagles are still paying Brandon Brooks on their cap. This system works because the cap always rises. If something is 4% of your cap this year, in 3 years it will be 2.5% of that future cap. When you do that with every sizable

contract as Howie does it makes a huge difference over time. It’s brilliant. It’s tantamount to a pyramid scheme or a Ponzi scheme with no fear of it falling down because the system doesn’t police it. The cap in this form has been around now for almost 30 years. It’s not hard to conceptualize how experts have been able to become masters at rigging the system.
CJGJ has updated his IG with a picture of him iwearing an Eagles beanie. Take it fwiw!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Drue Tranquil is a member of the Chiefs. I don't mind it as it balances out the LB rotation. Chenal shouldn't be in coverage and Bolton is also generally better against the run.