• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,405.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Raiders signed WR Jakobi Meyers, formerly of the Patriots, to a three-year contract worth $33 million.​

Meyers, one of the top receivers in free agency, will get $21 million guaranteed. Meyers’ 2022 campaign wasn’t dramatically different than the previous two seasons. He had a similar average depth of target, yards per route run, and yards per catch. In the context of the miserable 2022 New England offense, Meyers’ production (67 catches for 803 yards and six touchdowns) was impressive. In Vegas, he'll function as the clearcut No. 2 receiver behind target hog Davante Adams. Meyers will likely see ample usage in the slot as a Raider. He could suffice as a decent WR3 for fantasy purposes in 2023.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,405.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Texans acquired OG Shaq Mason and a seventh-round pick from the Bucs in exchange for a sixth-round pick.​

Like most Texans acquisitions, Mason is a former Patriots with ties to Houston general manager Nick Caserio. Mason, entering his age-30 season, was graded by Pro Football Focus as 2022's 26th-best pass-blocking guard and 33rd-best run-blocking guard. The move was mainly a cap maneuver for the Bucs, who needed to clear another $1.5 million in space in order to get compliant with the salary cap. Moving on from Mason will leave them with a few million dollars to spend.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelce numbers

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything I've read indicates that He will count toward the comp formula--he'd count as a player signed by the Niners and a player lost by the Eagles.

Re the comp formula, For the Niners his signing will probably cancel out the loss of either Jimmy G or McGlinchey.
That would be my default position also. I was wondering if anyone knew of a non-QB who moved some time in the last few years as a high-priced FA after a contract that voided. If the team still received a compensatory pick it would provide a definitive answer. As things stand it looks like the 49ers are effectively giving up a 2024 3rd round compensatory pick to the Eagles with this signing. It's not a big deal either way, just my curiosity for future deals.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
practically nothing. Saw elsewhere it was like a swap of later round picks
Long in the tooth and his best ball is behind him but a good vet that will help a new staff build a culture there.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,405.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Falcons signed QB Taylor Heinicke, formerly of the Commanders, to a two-year contract worth up to $20 million.​

Among the least accurate and weakest armed quarterbacks in the NFL, Heinicke could easily be Atlanta's Week 1 starter if it comes down to an offseason competition between him and Desmond Ridder. Heinicke started 24 games for Washington over the past two years, throwing 32 touchdowns and 21 interceptions while demonstrating a willingness to scramble. Ideally, Heinicke, entering his age-30 season, would function as a backup in the run-first Falcons offense.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Falcons signed QB Taylor Heinicke, formerly of the Commanders, to a two-year contract worth up to $20 million.​

Among the least accurate and weakest armed quarterbacks in the NFL, Heinicke could easily be Atlanta's Week 1 starter if it comes down to an offseason competition between him and Desmond Ridder. Heinicke started 24 games for Washington over the past two years, throwing 32 touchdowns and 21 interceptions while demonstrating a willingness to scramble. Ideally, Heinicke, entering his age-30 season, would function as a backup in the run-first Falcons offense.
WOW

I'd drafted Duggan round 5

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,405.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW

I'd drafted Duggan round 5

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES​

• His mechanics lack any kind of refinement, and he often plays erratically
  • Has only average long accuracy on his passes, and regularly displays poor footwork
  • Too often stares down his receivers leading to picks
  • Duggan often holds the ball too long. While he keeps his eyes up while moving, his mechanics get increasingly sloppy once he’s pushed off his spot.
  • Has struggled with his decision-making and needs to improve his pre-snap recognition skills to read defenses and see blitzes. Doesn't decipher information as quickly as you would like, but does see the entire field and understands coverage.
  • Probably not big enough to consistently hold up at the next level if continues to play with reckless abandon. He'll need to learn how to protect his body.

PLAYER COMPARISON​

Gardener Minshew

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES​

• His mechanics lack any kind of refinement, and he often plays erratically
  • Has only average long accuracy on his passes, and regularly displays poor footwork
  • Too often stares down his receivers leading to picks
  • Duggan often holds the ball too long. While he keeps his eyes up while moving, his mechanics get increasingly sloppy once he’s pushed off his spot.
  • Has struggled with his decision-making and needs to improve his pre-snap recognition skills to read defenses and see blitzes. Doesn't decipher information as quickly as you would like, but does see the entire field and understands coverage.
  • Probably not big enough to consistently hold up at the next level if continues to play with reckless abandon. He'll need to learn how to protect his body.

PLAYER COMPARISON​

Gardener Minshew
LOL

thanks buddy
:suds:

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,405.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read, this restructure gets them under the cap.

49ers restructured Charvarius Ward's contract.​

After spending big on defensive tackle Javon Hargrave yesterday, it's not a surprise to see the 49ers make a move to create cap space today. Per ESPN's Nick Wagoner, Ward's restructure creates just under $10 million in cap space. According to Over the Cap, the 49ers should have roughly $16 million in cap space after the move.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last year the Falcons signed Mariota to a 2 year deal worth $18.75M with $6.75M guaranteed in the 1st year and the rest as an option if Mariota proved to be an average starter. Mariota was released to avoid the expensive 2nd year. I'd expect Heinicke's deal to be of a similar structure. I doubt he's getting close to $10M this year. Heinicke is a similar system fit for the Falcons.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,405.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson reports the Dolphins are "monitoring" Dalvin Cook's potential availability.​

The all-in Dolphins are among the teams keeping tabs on whether the Vikings are willing to part with Cook, who has three years left on his contract and is due to make $10.4 million in 2023. ESPN last week reported multiple NFL teams have engaged in trade talks for Cook. Minnesota reportedly wants to re-sign Alexander Mattison, who would be the presumed starter if Cook is dealt in the coming days or weeks. Cook in 2022 recorded his lowest yards per carry of his six-year career.