• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023-24 Flyers: What's new is old again.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some Frost stats from a couple nights ago

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't see them moving Frost. He's been extremely good at 5 on 5 the past 6 weeks or so. OT goal against last night aside, he's been grading out really well defensively too according to some of the advanced stats stuff that shows up on my twitter feed. Obviously not a high end guy at the moment, but he's starting to show some signs of maybe being a legit top 6 guy. And the Flyers desperately need Cs that can be that.

Walker I don't think will hurt too much. They seem to want Sanheim to play on the right. Drysdale/Sanheim/Risto down the right side seems to be where they're heading and that's fine for the current state of the team. Plus Bonk is RH in the future, and Attard if you believe in him.

If Seeler goes, which I think he should if they can get a 3rd round pick, the left side is York/Zamula/Staal or they call up Andrae. Could call up Attard instead and move Sanheim back to the left. They're weak there, but they're a rebuilding team and that happens.

Laughton they'll miss for his leadership. But on the ice? I think with Hathaway, Poehling, Cates, Brink, Atkinson, Deslauriers they can fill out a pretty solid bottom 6. Plus guys like Allison, Tuomaala, and Desnoyers are hopefully future options for those roles. Barkey too.
If we accept a 3rd round pick for Seeler that would be an embarrassment and Danny B will be a laughing stock amongst GMs.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good game tonight. Glad we got a point out of it. The no quit attitude pushed us into OT with the chance to win. Even though we were down by two we were in that game the whole time, just a few missed opportunities made the difference. Gonna be hard to keep the chemistry brewing if and when we lose some folks. I mean realistically let's say we lose Laughton, Walker and possibly Frost or Seeler. Who replaces those guys? Brink? Who else, maybe get a return in a trade but still that's a huge hole to fill.
What a great game to watch. A little disappointed in Errssons play last night but Mathews does have a really good shot.

I dont believe we trade all of those guys. I think just Walker and Laughton go and i am praying Danny B finds a way to get rid of Risto.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Seeler with 6 more blocked shots land 4 more hits while picking up an assist.

Hathaway scores a goal and puts up 9 hits

TK a goal and an assist with 4 big hits

Sanheim a goal and 6 hits

Cam Atkinson invisible as per usual.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a great game to watch. A little disappointed in Errssons play last night but Mathews does have a really good shot.

I dont believe we trade all of those guys. I think just Walker and Laughton go and i am praying Danny B finds a way to get rid of Risto.
I agree Lasgop. If we could move Risto and maybe Laughton, I would consider that a positive. Trying to move everyone would be detrimental to this squad in the long run!!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we accept a 3rd round pick for Seeler that would be an embarrassment and Danny B will be a laughing stock amongst GMs.

I think you're overestimating his value. What do you think is a reasonable return?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's had these numbers before in spurts then disappears for a couple of weeks at a time. He needs to keep these numbers on a consistent basis and he will be a solid 2nd line center.
I'd like him to finish the season here and let's see what he does the rest of the year.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're overestimating his value. What do you think is a reasonable return?
2nd rounder is the lowest i would accept but IMO we should resign him at 1.5 million, years TBD. That doubles his salary and would make him happy and that's a good cap number for the services he provides to this team.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd rounder is the lowest i would accept but IMO we should resign him at 1.5 million, years TBD. That doubles his salary and would make him happy and that's a good cap number for the services he provides to this team.

I'll buy wanting to keep him. But if you think he's worth a 2nd round pick then he's going to get more than 1.5M in free agency too. Can't have it both ways. The rumors around Tanev are a 2nd round pick (except for the Leafs because they don't have one) and he makes 4.5M (and plays 3 more minutes a night than Seeler).

For me, anything less than a 3rd gets to be kind of pointless. Chances of getting a decent NHL-er drop significantly. Might as well keep him for the playoff push and if you lose him in the summer for nothing so be it. Re-sign him for cheap, I'm good with that too.

But I think the Flyers would be doing quite well to get a 3rd rounder for a guy that's been a 3rd pair guy or AHL/NHL tweener for most of his career. That'd be trading him at his highest value. Only time in his career where he hasn't looked out of place as a 4-5 type guy, at age 30.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id trade Risto for a 7th rounder if possible. :suds:

Some the beats seem to think they're going to be able to move him. Probably this summer now that he's got a mysterious injury that might prevent him from being full strength the rest of the year.

But I'm with you. Take whatever you can get to move him. Be awesome to just not have to retain salary.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll buy wanting to keep him. But if you think he's worth a 2nd round pick then he's going to get more than 1.5M in free agency too. Can't have it both ways. The rumors around Tanev are a 2nd round pick (except for the Leafs because they don't have one) and he makes 4.5M (and plays 3 more minutes a night than Seeler).

For me, anything less than a 3rd gets to be kind of pointless. Chances of getting a decent NHL-er drop significantly. Might as well keep him for the playoff push and if you lose him in the summer for nothing so be it. Re-sign him for cheap, I'm good with that too.

But I think the Flyers would be doing quite well to get a 3rd rounder for a guy that's been a 3rd pair guy or AHL/NHL tweener for most of his career. That'd be trading him at his highest value. Only time in his career where he hasn't looked out of place as a 4-5 type guy, at age 30.
Because Tanev is overpaid doesn't mean we would have to over pay for Seeler.

You wanted to trade Seeler at the deadline last year because you thought his value was at its highest and hes even better this year.

Also third round picks making it into the NHL and having the impact that Seeler does on this team is far and few in between so it would be like trading him for nothing.

Id trade Walker way faster than i would trade Seeler and you know how i feel about Risto and his salary.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shame in the OT loss to Toronto. We stole a point against a team with three $11 million players, none of which we have. I think we could actually take them in a playoff series. Perhaps that's not saying a lot. Toronto has only one series victory in the last 20 years, I believe. They're like the Dallas Cowboys of the Nhl.

Either way, that was a huge comeback in the 3rd and a big point to pick up, especially with NJ losing in regulation and that game looming on Saturday night.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that was an easy one to piece together, one team came to play and one team didn't. We were on our heels a lot on this game and not sure why. We have as much talent maybe even a bit more then Jersey, but it doesn't show against them. Also Errson looked bad tonight to.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk what happened tonight. Seems like it was 0-2 and then 1-4 before we were aware that this game wasn't just an exhibition. When I say I don't know what happened, the fucking ABC video feed was so bad that the game tonight was unfortunately unwatchable for me. Every 10-20 seconds, or at times less, it would freeze for several seconds. Occasionally, the screen would go black. Tippett had a couple of really nice snipes, but otherwise, we appeared to let NJ score probably a few of their easiest goals of their season. Breakaways and rebounds that deflected right on the tape of their top scorers like Toffoli. You can't give guys like Hischier breakaways or leave Toffoli wide open at one side of the net. Bad defense. That said, it felt like Ersson didn't make that big save to keep us in the game either.

Who would've thought we'd be the team to score on the power play in this game and yet still pretty much get blown away? It was kind of embarrassing for such a big game. We still have an edge in the standings over these teams, but I am otherwise thoroughly disappointed.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today was like a gift to us as far as making the playoffs is concerned. The Isles led the Rags big for most of the game before blowing it all in the final five minutes and then losing just 10 seconds into overtime. They gave up two goals while shorthanded and facing an empty net. One situation was 3 vs. 5 and the other 4 vs. 6. This is about the only time we can be happy that the Rags won a game.

Furthermore, the Pens retired Jagr's jersey, Crosby scored the opening goal with 1:17 left in the 1st on the power play. They led from there on before blowing the lead with 6:11 remaining and then giving up the game-winner to the Kings in regulation with 3:10 remaining while on the power play...LOL!! Adrian Kempe scored both goals against.

I absolutely love it!! Our in-state rivals still have 4 games in hand on us, but remain 10 points back and are 6-8-3 in their last 17 games. They would have to win about 5-6 games in a row just to threaten us.

We should get some practice in here and then stop the bleeding in Chicago, against one of the two worst teams in the Nhl, the other being San Jose.

Last edited:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Farm report:

Massimo Rizzo (C, Denver, junior)

28 GP, 10g, 34a, 44 points, 10 PIM

Currently dealing with an injury that kept him out of action this past weekend, the 22-year-old forward (he'll turn 23 on June 13) has been one of the top offensive player across the entire NCAA this season, currently ranking third in Division 1 hockey (New York Rangers prospect Gabe Perreault, a Boston College freshman, leads all collegiate players with 48 points). Rizzo was NCAA Co-Player of the Month in October, along with the NCHC conference's Player of the Month.

There's no question anymore as to whether Rizzo can offensively dominate at the collegiate level with his hands, anticipation and vision. The question mark is how well he can eventually adapt to the pro game as a smaller-framed player who lacks high-end natural speed (Rizzo compensates with awareness and quickness). Is he better off in the pros as a winger, given the wider demands of a center?

Rizzo, who was a Pioneers teammate of Lehigh Valley Phantoms forward Bobby Brink in 2021-22, had his NHL rights acquired by the Flyers from the Carolina Hurricanes on Aug. 9, 2023, in exchange for the NHL rights to Czech forward David Kase.