• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CBA did not fix this

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CBA did not fix this

Serious question, how could the CBA fix something like that?
Payrolls seem to be somewhat in line with attendance/population/popularity/revenues.

Sometimes a team will have a lower payroll then maybe they should when looking at market size but usually they’re in a rebuild that money only hurts.
Then I see teams that are over extended.

Unfortunately Oakland needs to relocate.
Shouldn’t try to fix it so they can stay
Las Vegas Athletics

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Payrolls seem to be somewhat in line with attendance/population/popularity/revenues.

Sometimes a team will have a lower payroll then maybe they should when looking at market size but usually they’re in a rebuild that money only hurts.

Las Vegas Athletics
I think they should fix it. It’s not fair to the fan base and the overall competitiveness of the league

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should fix it. It’s not fair to the fan base and the overall competitiveness of the league

I do get that. I do.
I feel the Athletics do need to relocate though.

They have been pretty competitive over the years though.

Las Vegas and Portland would be nice spots

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Las Vegas Athletics
It is just like in life, how some couples have to shrimp and save for a few months or years.

Some teams have to save in order to rebuild in the future. The top 5 or 6 teams don't have to worry. They can overpay and they can afford to eat salary. Others have to save before they can spend more later on.

The Angels are big spenders. Which franchise has had more success, the big spending Angels, or the cheap A's?

Reactions: DTC

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That fanbase has not been fair to the team several times in the past, as well. That is a terrible place for a franchise at this point in time.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do get that. I do.
I feel the Athletics do need to relocate though.

They have been pretty competitive over the years though.

Las Vegas and Portland would be nice spots
San Antonio could do much better at supporting a team than Oakland, a lot better.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe I would have won this assuming I make it to 84

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m curious if Jon Gray is one of those guys the Rangers scouting department has identified as someone who could see a huge boost in production with a few tweaks

He seems to profile similar to Lance Lynn.
Fastball/Slider 85-90 % of the time.
Velocity around the same on the fastball.
What makes Lance Lynn’s fastball more unhittable than Grays? Location or movement?
Pitch selection/better scouting of opposing hitters?(more of a team/catcher thing)

Is it possibly Jon Gray could see his production go way up with a slight change?

Here’s to hoping

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently, we are going with 15 pitchers (9 RH & 6 LH) to open the season:

Abreu R
Allard L
Barlow R
Burke L
Bush R
Gray R
Hearn L
Howard R
King L
Martin L
Patton R
Perez L
Richards R
Santana R
Sborz R

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB season preview: Power Rankings, playoff odds and everything you need to know for all 30 teams

21. Texas Rangers

Projected record: 69-83 (3.6% playoff odds)

If everything goes right ...
Corey Seager and Marcus Semien both start the All-Star Game and finish in the top five of the MVP voting. Nathaniel Lowe adds more loft to his swing and becomes a 30-homer dude. We get first-half Adolis Garcia (.840 OPS) instead of second-half Adolis Garcia (.627 OPS). Joe Barlow saves 40 games, and the patchwork rotation somehow isn't awful. The Rangers win a wild card. -- Schoenfield

Weakness that could stop them: Despite the offseason signing of Jon Gray, the Rangers' rotation looks bad on every level. Gray should be a fixture and maybe he and Dane Dunning can form a one-two punch if the younger Dunning can ramp up his workload. Texas' roster is also a work in progress, but the splurges of the offseason should result in immediate improvement. The problem: For Texas to move into the fringe of wild-card contention, it's the rotation that's going to have to overachieve in terms of both per-rata performance and innings count. -- Doolittle

Most likely 2022 award winner: Corey Seager landed the bigger contract (10 years, $325 million), but Marcus Semien (seven years, $175 million himself) has nearly doubled his fWAR over the past three years, while combining 85 homers with 29 stolen bases and an .854 OPS. Now, with Seager at short, Semien is a long-term second baseman -- and that's his better position. From 2019 to 2020, Semien was a minus-12 at shortstop, according to outs above average, fifth worst in the majors. In 2021, he was plus-7 at second base, sixth best. -- Gonzalez

One (realistic) bold prediction: Jon Gray wins a career-high 15 games, strikes out 200 batters for the first time, finishes with an ERA under 3.25 and makes the All-Star team. -- Schoenfield

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB season preview: Power Rankings, playoff odds and everything you need to know for all 30 teams

21. Texas Rangers

Projected record: 69-83 (3.6% playoff odds)

If everything goes right ...
Corey Seager and Marcus Semien both start the All-Star Game and finish in the top five of the MVP voting. Nathaniel Lowe adds more loft to his swing and becomes a 30-homer dude. We get first-half Adolis Garcia (.840 OPS) instead of second-half Adolis Garcia (.627 OPS). Joe Barlow saves 40 games, and the patchwork rotation somehow isn't awful. The Rangers win a wild card. -- Schoenfield

Weakness that could stop them: Despite the offseason signing of Jon Gray, the Rangers' rotation looks bad on every level. Gray should be a fixture and maybe he and Dane Dunning can form a one-two punch if the younger Dunning can ramp up his workload. Texas' roster is also a work in progress, but the splurges of the offseason should result in immediate improvement. The problem: For Texas to move into the fringe of wild-card contention, it's the rotation that's going to have to overachieve in terms of both per-rata performance and innings count. -- Doolittle

Most likely 2022 award winner: Corey Seager landed the bigger contract (10 years, $325 million), but Marcus Semien (seven years, $175 million himself) has nearly doubled his fWAR over the past three years, while combining 85 homers with 29 stolen bases and an .854 OPS. Now, with Seager at short, Semien is a long-term second baseman -- and that's his better position. From 2019 to 2020, Semien was a minus-12 at shortstop, according to outs above average, fifth worst in the majors. In 2021, he was plus-7 at second base, sixth best. -- Gonzalez

One (realistic) bold prediction: Jon Gray wins a career-high 15 games, strikes out 200 batters for the first time, finishes with an ERA under 3.25 and makes the All-Star team. -- Schoenfield

Our rotation does look a little spotty.
Hopefully after the first 30-40 games it will have worked itself out into a formidable rotation.

I would Rank the Rangers at 17.