• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Evan Grant:

Josh Smith is in his first spring training with the Rangers. He is making team officials take notice.

Funny thing: The same thing happened last year even though he was with another club entirely.

A year ago, Rangers scout Jonathan George was in Tampa for Yankees spring training, when he happened upon an early-camp intrasquad game. He was still watching when a tiny little third baseman sprinted for a foul pop and did a full-on Derek Jeter dive over the tarp.

“I remember thinking that guy is a lunatic,” George said Thursday, using the description as the highest possible compliment. “Who does that. Winners do that. I believe that’s literally what I wrote down: “Hurt diving into stands in intrasquad game. Winner!”

The dive caught the Rangers’ attention. But, it also cost Smith six weeks because he tore a muscle in his thumb. When he returned, he captured it again. And held it until the Rangers’ made him central to their price for sending Joey Gallo to New York. The Rangers received four prospects: Smith and fellow infielder Ezequiel Duran, hitter Trevor Hauver and pitcher Glenn Otto.

Since arriving, the 24-year-old has only made others make similar comments. In a shortened camp where prospects may have less room to shine, Smith, infielder Davis Wendzel and outfielder Bubba Thompson have all stood out. Smith maybe a smidge more than the others. He went into Thursday’s 5-3 win over Oakland having reached eight times in 11 plate appearances, including three walks and a home run. Then he singled in the ninth in his only at-bat Thursday. After a week of games, he’s rolling with a .750 OPS. ...

“What was I told about him?” Woodward answered a question with a question on Thursday. “A lot of this.”

“He has been relentless on the bases,” Woodward added. “He’s always looking for an edge. When I spoke to the team about maintaining our aggressiveness, he got the message loud and clear. He looks for little details on how to pick up things on the pitchers. And he’s a gamer. He is definitely a product of what we want because he is just constantly pressuring the other team.”

Smith is only 5-10 and 178 pounds. Of the herd of infielders in camp, he looks the least threatening. He admitted he takes a terrible round of batting practice. But, he’s made it all work to his advantage.

“This is just how I grew up playing,” said Smith, whom the Yankees drafted out of LSU in the second round in 2019. “I had to play hard. I couldn’t be lazy. I’m not gifted like other guys, so I’ve got to go a little harder.”

It’s made him stand out.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan made an error when discussing Smith's OPS. His OBP is .750. His OPS is a whooping 1.875.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an update on where Evan Grant is with his countdown of our top 30 prospects.

Rangers’ top prospects
31. Chris Seise, SS
30. Trevor Hauver, OF-2B
29. Justin Slaten, RHP
28. Cody Bradford, LHP
27. Cameron Cauley, SS
26. David Garcia, C
25. Zak Kent, RHP
24. Glenn Otto, RHP
23. A.J. Alexy, RHP
22. Avery Weems, LHP
21. Yerry Rodriguez, RHP
20. Davis Wendzel, INF
19. Yeison Morrobel, CF
18. Anthony Gutierrez, OF
17. Ian Moller, C
16. Aaron Zavala, OF
15. Dane Acker, RHP
14. Tekoah Roby, RHP
13. Evan Carter, OF
12. Ricky Vanasco, RHP
11. Maximo Acosta, INF
10. Luisangel Acuña, INF
9. Owen White, RHP

8-1. Coming soon …
8. Sam Huff
7. Ezequiel Duran

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Evan Grant:

Josh Smith is in his first spring training with the Rangers. He is making team officials take notice.

Funny thing: The same thing happened last year even though he was with another club entirely.

A year ago, Rangers scout Jonathan George was in Tampa for Yankees spring training, when he happened upon an early-camp intrasquad game. He was still watching when a tiny little third baseman sprinted for a foul pop and did a full-on Derek Jeter dive over the tarp.

“I remember thinking that guy is a lunatic,” George said Thursday, using the description as the highest possible compliment. “Who does that. Winners do that. I believe that’s literally what I wrote down: “Hurt diving into stands in intrasquad game. Winner!”

The dive caught the Rangers’ attention. But, it also cost Smith six weeks because he tore a muscle in his thumb. When he returned, he captured it again. And held it until the Rangers’ made him central to their price for sending Joey Gallo to New York. The Rangers received four prospects: Smith and fellow infielder Ezequiel Duran, hitter Trevor Hauver and pitcher Glenn Otto.

Since arriving, the 24-year-old has only made others make similar comments. In a shortened camp where prospects may have less room to shine, Smith, infielder Davis Wendzel and outfielder Bubba Thompson have all stood out. Smith maybe a smidge more than the others. He went into Thursday’s 5-3 win over Oakland having reached eight times in 11 plate appearances, including three walks and a home run. Then he singled in the ninth in his only at-bat Thursday. After a week of games, he’s rolling with a .750 OPS. ...

“What was I told about him?” Woodward answered a question with a question on Thursday. “A lot of this.”

“He has been relentless on the bases,” Woodward added. “He’s always looking for an edge. When I spoke to the team about maintaining our aggressiveness, he got the message loud and clear. He looks for little details on how to pick up things on the pitchers. And he’s a gamer. He is definitely a product of what we want because he is just constantly pressuring the other team.”

Smith is only 5-10 and 178 pounds. Of the herd of infielders in camp, he looks the least threatening. He admitted he takes a terrible round of batting practice. But, he’s made it all work to his advantage.

“This is just how I grew up playing,” said Smith, whom the Yankees drafted out of LSU in the second round in 2019. “I had to play hard. I couldn’t be lazy. I’m not gifted like other guys, so I’ve got to go a little harder.”

It’s made him stand out.
Yes his size to me was concerning but he continues to just get it done. Very encouraged about field presence.

2011 team had a bit of braggadocio. Looks like he brings that to the table

I hope he can do CF or LF. We have to see what our guys can do

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunning's performance is my priority. Lowe and White 2a and 2b.
So White in CF. Let’s see if he is healthy. Miller at 3B. I thought this would be his platoon and Solak who has had a good spring back in RF

Will be interesting how catcher turns out
I am thinking Carpenter does not get rostered so quickly

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So White in CF. Let’s see if he is healthy. Miller at 3B. I thought this would be his platoon and Solak who has had a good spring back in RF

At this point I am not sure of anything 100%. Example: Smith has been so surprising he could shed light on things in more than one area. Great problem. Garver is doing the same. He can change the way we select our catcher and back up. Lots to be excited about and pitching may have some surprises too.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point I am not sure of anything 100%. Example: Smith has been so surprising he could shed light on things in more than one area. Great problem. Garver is doing the same. He can change the way we select our catcher and back up. Lots to be excited about and pitching may have some surprises too.

think Garver is the de facto #1 catcher.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Carpenter has said he understands that he might have to begin the season in the minors.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Levi Weaver gives his latest lineup and roster projection. Here is the lineup.

Lineup:

2B: Marcus Semien (+.117)
SS: Corey Seager (+.245)
C: Mitch Garver (+.268)
1B: Nathaniel Lowe (+.000)
CF: Adolis García (+.078)
RF: Kole Calhoun (-.071)
DH: Willie Calhoun (+.014)
3B: Andy Ibáñez (+.189)
LF: Brad Miller (+.083)

If you’re wondering what those numbers are next to each player, it’s the +/- on their OPS last season versus the OPS of the person who started the final game of the season at that position in 2021. It’s not a perfect comparison, of course. Willie Calhoun started that final game in left field, but for the purposes of this number, he’s compared to 2021 Nick Solak, who started that final game at designated hitter. Andy Ibáñez started at second base last fall, but should get most of the playing time at third base this year. Either way, an average improvement of .118 in OPS is remarkable.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Continuing with Levi Weaver's roster projection:

Rotation (5): Jon Gray, Martín Pérez, Dane Dunning, Taylor Hearn, Spencer Howard

Bench (4): Jose Trevino, Nick Solak, Charlie Culberson, Eli White

Bullpen: Joe Barlow (R), Brett Martin (L), Spencer Patton (R), Dennis Santana (R), John King (L), Kolby Allard (L), Garrett Richards (R), Nick Snyder (R), Josh Sborz (R), Brock Burke (L)

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just to break it up

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Levi Weaver gives his latest lineup and roster projection. Here is the lineup.

Lineup:

2B: Marcus Semien (+.117)
SS: Corey Seager (+.245)
C: Mitch Garver (+.268)
1B: Nathaniel Lowe (+.000)
CF: Adolis García (+.078)
RF: Kole Calhoun (-.071)
DH: Willie Calhoun (+.014)
3B: Andy Ibáñez (+.189)
LF: Brad Miller (+.083)

If you’re wondering what those numbers are next to each player, it’s the +/- on their OPS last season versus the OPS of the person who started the final game of the season at that position in 2021. It’s not a perfect comparison, of course. Willie Calhoun started that final game in left field, but for the purposes of this number, he’s compared to 2021 Nick Solak, who started that final game at designated hitter. Andy Ibáñez started at second base last fall, but should get most of the playing time at third base this year. Either way, an average improvement of .118 in OPS is remarkable.

I would honor there is individual improvement that drives the OPS upwards

Pretty good guess how the roster plays out though

Wonder if Bush slips in

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would honor there is individual improvement that drives the OPS upwards

Pretty good guess how the roster plays out though

Wonder if Bush slips in
To me it might make more sense to go with Yonny over Culberson because he is on the 40 man.