• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Spring Training

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, when I read this my first reaction was "why didn't FZ do this?" Then I remembered that he's been steadily declining for four years, is 36, and it's not just the money (negligible if he doesn't make the roster, not a lot if he does) but rather the opportunity cost of having him blocking someone. That, and maybe he wasn't willing to come here on a minor league contract with our SP depth. I mean, is he a better bet than Junis? Than Hjelle? Than Marte or CarMart? Probably not.
Yeah. I don’t think he was a good fit for the Giants. He is a high risk pitcher. And the Giants have no openings (or even potential opening) in the first 5, and they have 3 or 4 additional options to cover depth or injuries. But for a different team, that doesn’t have the solid 5 that the Giants have, or the depth in options that the Giants have, he could be a good flyer.

And it would be hard for Cueto to come back to the Giants in that capacity after being a top of the rotation option in our org for as long as he Re needs to be a separation before he could take that kind of step down in status with us (not always, of course…. Pence is an example of that not being the case).

Good sign by the White Sox that likely would not have been a good sign by the Giants.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LaStella scratched from today's game. However, he may still be on the active roster on the 8th as the DH.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been unable to confirm this with a regular source, but apparently Beede has made the roster.
Interesting. I assume either Brebbia or Long get optioned. I also assume Beede's leash will be extremely short, i.e. he's got about 3 weeks to show he should continue to be carried through when roster size is reduced.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I assume either Brebbia or Long get optioned. I also assume Beede's leash will be extremely short, i.e. he's got about 3 weeks to show he should continue to be carried through when roster size is reduced.
I don’t think the leash will be that long. I doubt Wade and/or Longo will be on the IL that long.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think the leash will be that long. I doubt Wade and/or Longo will be on the IL that long.
Unless the Giants want to purchase some pitcher's contract from AAA, I doubt Beede is the casualty for those two to be activated. Vosler/Williams (whoever makes the roster) would go down for Wade. I don't think Longoria will be ready until early May.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My April 5 (aka birthday) updated Opening Day roster guess:

SP - Webb, Rodon, Disco, Wood, Cobb
RP - McGee, Doval, TRog, Haarleen, Alvarez, Leone, Brebbia, Shittell, Long
IF - BB9, Stars, Stamos, Flowers, TyRo, Doobie
OF - Ruf, Slater, Yaz, DigDug, Joc
C - Bart, Casali
28th spot - Williams
Here's the Opening Day Roster:

SP - as above
RP - as above except add Beede
IF - Stars to IL
OF -- as above
C - as above
28th guy -- as above

So one less IF for a 10th reliever. Makes sense early. If Stars were healthy I wonder if they send Williams down to keep Beede.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess for future moves:

Stars back: Williams down
Wade back: Beede cut
May first: Slater, Doobie gone
Longo back: Flowers gone

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that this is generally correct, except I think that Vosler goes down when Wade comes back and Dubon and Beede get cut May 1st. Not sure what happens when Longoria returns but I would assume there are other injuries by then.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that this is generally correct, except I think that Vosler goes down when Wade comes back and Dubon and Beede get cut May 1st. Not sure what happens when Longoria returns but I would assume there are other injuries by then.
Just realized you don't have Vosler on the active roster (and he's not on the active roster either). In that case, I could see one of Slater or Duggar gone when Wade is ready (assuming no other injuries occur).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You think they eat Flores’ contract? He has a more than legit bat. I think Vosler gets optioned somewhere in there.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think they eat Flores’ contract? He has a more than legit bat. I think Vosler gets optioned somewhere in there.
Maybe not Vosler. It would be counter productive to send someone down who was already sent down…