• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 season

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy thing is...i thought the same thing in 2010 when they went on the road and won it.

Better squad back then. I dont think they are a SB caliber team either.

Lots of issues going on to see them advance deep in the playoffs if they make it.

2010 team I thought had a chance... they were never losing by more than 6 points at anypoint during the season. Had lots of injuries and lost a lot of close games. Rodgers was improving as season went along.

This year... Packers got blown out in a few games, no one returning from injuries that will help with January push if the beat Detroit on Sunday and I do not see Rodgers improving his performance over what we have seen this year.

Personally... if Lions win on Sunday I will not be disappointed.

Here are some reasons why I think they COULD make a run:

• Momentum. IF they make the playoffs, they would've already have played and won several do-or-die games. The past several years, GB has clinched early and coasted home - only to get punched in the mouth in January by a team that has already been playing playoff games.
  • Health. The OL and WR corps are more healthy now than they were through the first 2/3 of the season. Offensively, no key guys are out. There are some guys out on defense, but the Packers have adequate depth at those positions to potentially overcome those holes. Other playoff teams wish they could say that right now.
  • No one in the NFC is formidable this year; it's wide open. (Hopefully someone else beats the 49ers before the Packers would have to see them, though; the 9ers have defense and the Packers' number.)
  • Joe Barry just figured out that allowing Jaire to play press man on the opposing team's best receiver is a recipe for defensive success.
  • Aaron Rodgers plays better in above-freezing weather and plays better when he's the underdog. He talks a big game about home games in January, but he simply doesn't handle the cold temps well anymore. Going on the road for playoff games could be a blessing in disguise.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some reasons why I think they COULD make a run:

• Momentum. IF they make the playoffs, they would've already have played and won several do-or-die games. The past several years, GB has clinched early and coasted home - only to get punched in the mouth in January by a team that has already been playing playoff games.
  • Health. The OL and WR corps are more healthy now than they were through the first 2/3 of the season. Offensively, no key guys are out. There are some guys out on defense, but the Packers have adequate depth at those positions to potentially overcome those holes. Other playoff teams wish they could say that right now.
  • No one in the NFC is formidable this year; it's wide open. (Hopefully someone else beats the 49ers before the Packers would have to see them, though; the 9ers have defense and the Packers' number.)
  • Joe Barry just figured out that allowing Jaire to play press man on the opposing team's best receiver is a recipe for defensive success.
  • Aaron Rodgers plays better in above-freezing weather and plays better when he's the underdog. He talks a big game about home games in January, but he simply doesn't handle the cold temps well anymore. Going on the road for playoff games could be a blessing in disguise.
I believe momentum is big. If they handle detroit they could possibly make some noise. My biggest concern would be the 9ers. For whatever reason the 9ers are GBs kryptonite.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad this team of mental midgets isn't going to San Francisco. They didn't earn it because they've played like mentally weak and totally inept morons all year long and they got what they deserved for being stupid...and that's about all I can say is this is the dumbest football team I've seen in at least 10 years

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong about this but Rodgers usually plays well during the season but when it comes to post season or a must win type of game...he cant get it done.

That said, the rest of the team doesnt get a pass. The O-line was horrible this year. Some of it due to injury but the quality is subpar.

The quality is lacking on the defense as well. Like ive posted before, you cant hang your hat on turnovers. They're great if you can consistently get them but you have to be talented and play smart football. There isnt enough talent or smart football players on this defense. A pass rush and being able to stop the run are 2 key elements to a good defense. GB couldnt do either this season. I place most of the blame on 2 reasons- the "talent" on the field and the defensive scheme.

This has been a shit show year and even though i think GB cant win without Rodgers he showed they cant win with him as well, specially when its a must win. If he retires, well, Bye!

Funny thing is...the only unit that took a step forward this year was the Special Teams.

Priorities in the draft and free agency in my opinion should be OL/DL and QB.

Hopefully this loss will be enough to get rid of Barry. If not, expect another shitty defense next year.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Priorities in the draft and free agency in my opinion should be OL/DL and QB.

Hopefully this loss will be enough to get rid of Barry. If not, expect another shitty defense next year.

I strongly disagree with "QB" as a draft priority. S, WR & TE are much more important.

- If Rodgers comes back, we still have him and Love. If he doesn't, Love will get a chance to prove himself as an NFL starter and we can sign a veteran to back him up. If Love flops, THEN we use draft capital on a QB in '24; if he succeeds, we've got at least 6 more years before we start entertaining QB as a draft priority.
- Amos needs a new contract and if Rodgers doesn't retire GB won't have enough cap space to keep him. There's no depth behind him at SS. Both Savage and Ford haven't been great at FS either.
- Lazard and Cobb are both UFAs. Again, if Rodgers doesn't retire, the only WRs left on the roster will be the three guys who were rookies this year.
- Tonyan and Lewis are both UFAs and there is no succession depth there either.

I never have an issue with taking a DL in the first round. Not so sure I'd want to take an OL at 15, though.

The Packers' win against MIN may have bought Barry another year as DC in GB. And I don't think last night's loss will be seen as a significant negative against Barry, either... Detroit had the 5th-highest scoring offense and 4th-most yards in the NFL this year and GB held their offense to "pretty stagnant" all game. GB's player miscues and blunders cost them last night's game more than anything; didn't really have much to do with in-game coaching or scheme.

...and regarding Walker's critical personal foul and DQ, I think LaFleur needs to immediately sit guys on the bench when something like that happens, not just point at his noggin and let him keep playing. Consequences for stupidity like that need to be much more severe.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I strongly disagree with "QB" as a draft priority. S, WR & TE are much more important.

- If Rodgers comes back, we still have him and Love. If he doesn't, Love will get a chance to prove himself as an NFL starter and we can sign a veteran to back him up. If Love flops, THEN we use draft capital on a QB in '24; if he succeeds, we've got at least 6 more years before we start entertaining QB as a draft priority.
- Amos needs a new contract and if Rodgers doesn't retire GB won't have enough cap space to keep him. There's no depth behind him at SS. Both Savage and Ford haven't been great at FS either.
- Lazard and Cobb are both UFAs. Again, if Rodgers doesn't retire, the only WRs left on the roster will be the three guys who were rookies this year.
- Tonyan and Lewis are both UFAs and there is no succession depth there either.

I never have an issue with taking a DL in the first round. Not so sure I'd want to take an OL at 15, though.

The Packers' win against MIN may have bought Barry another year as DC in GB. And I don't think last night's loss will be seen as a significant negative against Barry, either... Detroit had the 5th-highest scoring offense and 4th-most yards in the NFL this year and GB held their offense to "pretty stagnant" all game. GB's player miscues and blunders cost them last night's game more than anything; didn't really have much to do with in-game coaching or scheme.

...and regarding Walker's critical personal foul and DQ, I think LaFleur needs to immediately sit guys on the bench when something like that happens, not just point at his noggin and let him keep playing. Consequences for stupidity like that need to be much more severe.
I wouldnt mind if they chose OL for the first pick. It doesnt matter how good the QB is if he is running for his life as soon as the ball is snapped. It all starts in the trenches.

The defense played well in spurts this year but they lacked consistency. Problem is, they didnt play well when they absolutely needed to just like Rodgers.

GB was just bad this season for the most part and i say that because Detroit had nothing to play for other than spoiling GBs playoff hope. GB had everything to play for and blew it. Every year i become more and more jaded with this organization.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt mind if they chose OL for the first pick. It doesnt matter how good the QB is if he is running for his life as soon as the ball is snapped. It all starts in the trenches.

The defense played well in spurts this year but they lacked consistency. Problem is, they didnt play well when they absolutely needed to just like Rodgers.

GB was just bad this season for the most part and i say that because Detroit had nothing to play for other than spoiling GBs playoff hope. GB had everything to play for and blew it. Every year i become more and more jaded with this organization.
The Packers have a strong history of drafting & developing OL after the 3rd round.

Since the second-overall flop that was Tony Mandarich, here are the offensive linemen GB has drafted in the first round (with draft position; and the number of years they were a starter for GB):

1994 - Aaron Taylor (16; 3)
1996 - John Michaels (27; 2)
1997 - Ross Verba (30; 4)
2010 - Bryan Bulaga (23; 9)
2011 - Derek Sherrod (32; 0)

...not a great history overall.

Meanwhile, most of our best linemen throughout that duration, were drafted by GB in rounds 4-7.
Bakhtiari (4)
Timmerman (7)
Sitton (4)
Tauscher (7)
Rivera (6)
Wells (7)
Linsley (5)
Lang (4)

Chad Clifton and Daryn Colledge were the only guys worth noting that were drafted in rounds 2-3. More recent draftees Josh Myers and Elgton Jenkins might be in that category, too; but they don't have enough tenure yet to really qualify them and have peers Runyan and Tom also getting starter reps who were both 4-7 round draftees.

All this given, I'd be very comfortable waiting until the second half of the draft to lasso an offensive lineman or two... Certainly more comfortable than waiting until the 4th for a starting safety.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Packers have a strong history of drafting & developing OL after the 3rd round.

Since the second-overall flop that was Tony Mandarich, here are the offensive linemen GB has drafted in the first round (with draft position; and the number of years they were a starter for GB):

1994 - Aaron Taylor (16; 3)
1996 - John Michaels (27; 2)
1997 - Ross Verba (30; 4)
2010 - Bryan Bulaga (23; 9)
2011 - Derek Sherrod (32; 0)

...not a great history overall.

Meanwhile, most of our best linemen throughout that duration, were drafted by GB in rounds 4-7.
Bakhtiari (4)
Timmerman (7)
Sitton (4)
Tauscher (7)
Rivera (6)
Wells (7)
Linsley (5)
Lang (4)

Chad Clifton and Daryn Colledge were the only guys worth noting that were drafted in rounds 2-3. More recent draftees Josh Myers and Elgton Jenkins might be in that category, too; but they don't have enough tenure yet to really qualify them and have peers Runyan and Tom also getting starter reps who were both 4-7 round draftees.

All this given, I'd be very comfortable waiting until the second half of the draft to lasso an offensive lineman or two... Certainly more comfortable than waiting until the 4th for a starting safety.
I didnt know i gave you homework, lol. I get it. Dont get me wrong, if they drafted an OL in the first round he better be worthy at that pick. All i know is im tired of seeing the QB running for his life the second the ball is snapped or the lack of push on a 3rd and short. Same goes for the other side of the ball. Overall the pass rush was abysmal this year and part of that was due to injuries but i strongly feel part of that was due to talent level.

It would be nice to see some moves in the off season that will help change the culture in GB and get back to at least one more SB before i leave this earth.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt know i gave you homework, lol. I get it. Dont get me wrong, if they drafted an OL in the first round he better be worthy at that pick. All i know is im tired of seeing the QB running for his life the second the ball is snapped or the lack of push on a 3rd and short. Same goes for the other side of the ball. Overall the pass rush was abysmal this year and part of that was due to injuries but i strongly feel part of that was due to talent level.

It would be nice to see some moves in the off season that will help change the culture in GB and get back to at least one more SB before i leave this earth.
Rodgers is the big X factor. If he retires, we'll see a bunch of moves and re-signings because there will be some cap space to do it. If he stays, there won't be enough cap space to re-sign guys like Amos & Lazard - much less bring anyone else in - and all new players on the roster next year will be either drafted or vet-minimum filler guys.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers is the big X factor. If he retires, we'll see a bunch of moves and re-signings because there will be some cap space to do it. If he stays, there won't be enough cap space to re-sign guys like Amos & Lazard - much less bring anyone else in - and all new players on the roster next year will be either drafted or vet-minimum filler guys.

If Rodgers retires... wouldn't that hurt the Packers already $9M they are over the cap? Not all of it... I believe he forfeits like $52M... but I think there is another $12M that would accelerate yet.

Well.. maybe if post June 1st it pushes across 2 seasons.... but I would still assume, not much of a savings. His contract is extremely complex.. so I could be all wrong.

As for draft... I would prefer OL, DL edge rusher in 1st round if someone is there. The other positions are more of a reach in 1st round IMO unless can´t miss candidate falls to #15.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Rodgers retires... wouldn't that hurt the Packers already $9M they are over the cap? Not all of it... I believe he forfeits like $52M... but I think there is another $12M that would accelerate yet.

Well.. maybe if post June 1st it pushes across 2 seasons.... but I would still assume, not much of a savings. His contract is extremely complex.. so I could be all wrong.

As for draft... I would prefer OL, DL edge rusher in 1st round if someone is there. The other positions are more of a reach in 1st round IMO unless can´t miss candidate falls to #15.
There are certain checkpoints on the calendar for the times various bonuses get locked into the cap. I think if he retires BEFORE various bonuses get applied, the Packers won't have them count against the cap. Almost his whole salary is bonus money for 2023.

Some of the finer details of his contract are documented here:
Aaron Rodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are certain checkpoints on the calendar for the times various bonuses get locked into the cap. I think if he retires BEFORE various bonuses get applied, the Packers won't have them count against the cap. Almost his whole salary is bonus money for 2023.

Some of the finer details of his contract are documented here:
Aaron Rodgers

Thanks for the link... but do not see comments to understand Bonus payments and how they would lead to savings.

1673383449093.png

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the link... but do not see comments to understand Bonus payments and how they would lead to savings.

View attachment 318673

The way I read this, Rodgers technically has until week 1 to make up his mind before the bonuses get paid out and the cap hit gets locked in. (I could be misinterpreting it.) The Packers don't have that kind of time to wait around for his decision, though, obviously.

Note that retirement does not fall under the same contract rules as being traded or released.

1673442434571.png

Here's some more info. Not sure how much of it is solid fact.

Looking Ahead to the Packers Options with Aaron Rodgers | Over the Cap

What Happens in Aaron Rodgers Retires?

If Rodgers were to walk away he would forfeit all his rights to the $59.465 million in guaranteed salary for next year. In order to best accommodate the hit on the salary cap my assumption would be that the Packers and Rodgers would sign a new contract where the option bonus was eliminated and just a $1.165 salary remained. That would reduce Rodgers salary cap charge to $16,998,750 and they would carry him on the roster as a procedural move until June 2nd. At that point they would put him on the retired list. The salary cap charge in that case would be $15,833,570 in 2023 and $24,480,000 in 2024.

At this point, I'm not so sure anyone knows exactly how the numbers will fall into place if Rodgers retires.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

15th pick? Damn, had they lost the last 5 games they would have picked 4th.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15th pick? Damn, had they lost the last 5 games they would have picked 4th.
I don't mind 15th overall if your primary target is a WR or S... You typically get one of the top two rated guys at those positions at 15. 4th would be better for DL, but is usually a bit too high for value at WR or S. If your target is DL and sitting at 15, you're settling for the 3rd-to-6th-best guy on the board already.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I read this, Rodgers technically has until week 1 to make up his mind before the bonuses get paid out and the cap hit gets locked in. (I could be misinterpreting it.) The Packers don't have that kind of time to wait around for his decision, though, obviously.

Note that retirement does not fall under the same contract rules as being traded or released.

View attachment 318724

Here's some more info. Not sure how much of it is solid fact.

Looking Ahead to the Packers Options with Aaron Rodgers | Over the Cap

At this point, I'm not so sure anyone knows exactly how the numbers will fall into place if Rodgers retires.

Thanks for the follow up... the link/comment you added appear to be same numbers as Post 6/1 Trade numbers I had in post.

Still quite a bit of Dead money... but some cap savings that would push Packers under the cap.