• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NBA Offseason thread

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You hope whatever plan Ham has to make Westbrook work...actually works and you can get 70-75 games out of AD and Lebron. That can make them competitive and get them to the playoffs. Then you hope that Westbrook can be rehabilitated enough to be able to move him at the deadline for someone who can shoot or maybe get a Kyrie trade done at that time.

The one glimmer of hope if they end up having to keep Westbrook is that, early in the season, with a healthy AD and Lebron, they had a winning record even though they hadn't figured out how to play together yet.

But mostly...it would mean wanting this season to end quickly so they can get to next summers FA. lol
I don't know if Lebron, Davis, Kawhi nor George will ever play 70-75 games a year ever again.

.....and that's not hyperbole.

You barely have half a roster so far.

So, I can't say you won't be a playoff team, even when teams like Portlamd, Nola, Clippers also got better based on health alone.

LeBron is still Lebron.

The version of Brow you get really determines a lot of things.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the point remains; if they're going to do that, why not take the Lakers draft picks and do the same buyout with Westbrook? Could also dump another player on the Lakers to balance out the salaries.
I agree....just responding to Mecca.

BTW, shut up. We can save those picks.....LOL.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if Lebron, Davis, Kawhi nor George will ever play 70-75 games a year ever again.

.....and that's not hyperbole.

We have 12 players under contract.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a overpay if it were multi-year, without seeing what he is.

The fact that he was with the Spurs is encouraging. So we at least know that he's been coached well.

It's only really scary that it hinges on Kyrie for the following reasons:

1. He's a franchise killer. But, Dude's with his talent don't grow on trees.

2. He is neurotic and flaky. You need to get him in-house asap. Because, that fucker changes his mind like he changes his undies.

There is no guarantee he will still feel this way next year.

3. You are sacrificing another year of LeBron on a maybe.

Still, if you are the Lakers, what better option do you see materialising?

As I've posted, Kyries most sane/best years have been with Lebron. Hopefully, Lebron can still get past the voices in Kyries head. Not too worried about Kyrie changing his mind. The Lakers will still be in position to where they will have some decent cap space to work with going into 2023 FA since either Westbrook or Kyrie will be expiring. Kyrie just gives them a better shot at winning this year as long as he stays relatively sane.

Short of Pelinka having some incriminating pictures of another GM or owner...not much chance of anything else materializing.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether the quality of players is there or not, the Lakers have three roster spots open:

PG: Westbrook, Nunn, Reaves
SG: THT, Walker IV
SF: Johnson, JTA, Brown Jr.
PF: James, Gabriel
C: Davis, Jones

2-way: Pippen Jr, Swider

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the deadline, it really doesn't matter as much if Westbrook is rehabilitated as an expiring contract on the market. New salary dumps should be available if the Lakers are interested in any of them. However, without a trade for Kyrie, he will only be able to get about $25M from the Lakers as a free agent unless Lebron signs for less first to open up more cap.

Its going to be interesting with Lebron. He said at one point a few years ago that he was done taking less than the max and he hasn't taken less since.

But, he's a billionaire now and may not have expected to still be playing when he said that. I'd bet he may take less next season if he thinks there's a move that will get him another title.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether the quality of players is there or not, the Lakers have three roster spots open:

PG: Westbrook, Nunn, Reaves
SG: THT, Walker IV
SF: Johnson, JTA, Brown Jr.
PF: James, Gabriel
C: Davis, Jones

2-way: Pippen Jr, Swider
Need another C so AD can play PF and James can slide back to SF.

AD should play no more than 5-7mpg at C. Keep him happy, he doesn't like playing the position.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its going to be interesting with Lebron. He said at one point a few years ago that he was done taking less than the max and he hasn't taken less since.

But, he's a billionaire now and may not have expected to still be playing when he said that. I'd bet he may take less next season if he thinks there's a move that will get him another title.
Yeah, mentioned that yesterday. Nobody saw Harden taking less.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need another C so AD can play PF and James can slide back to SF.

AD should play no more than 5-7mpg at C. Keep him happy, he doesn't like playing the position.
Any Lakers lineup that doesn’t employ AD at the 5 is going to be a subpar lineup. There’s just not a way for the Lakers to improve that position right now. They did the best they could signing the Jones guy but is he gonna play 35-36 minutes at the 5? If so that’s not good for the Lakers.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we'll see.

I just know they aren't getting 2 AS players because that would gut whatever team he is going to.

If he's interested in the Pelicans, they could run with Daniels/HJones/Durant/Zion/Valanciunas after moving Ingram/CJ and picks to the Nets. Might be the closest to getting 2 all stars, even if Boston gets involved.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would they waive and stretch him?

1. He has 1 year left. Why tie up dead money for multiple?

2. That is the nuclear option. Can't see them doing that before the deadline, if at all, they can just send his ass home like the Raptors did Dragic.

I can see the buyout, but not the stretch. As you said, no need to add dead money to future years.