• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-2023 NBA Season Thread

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine, take those two victories away for supposed bad foul calls and give the Lakers the wins that were denied due to obvious ref shenanigans. That's better than a wash.

Meh

Just saying this kid suddenly getting Hardenesque level foul calls (and even he is jealous) Is pretty ridiculous.

And yes i don't know how you expect someone to defend and not stay moving to keep the offensive player in front of them. That is different than sliding over to block. Reaves is not beating these dudes off the dribble he is lowering his shoulder into a defender attempting to maintain position and defend per the rules.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh

Just saying this kid suddenly getting Hardenesque level foul calls (and even he is jealous) Is pretty ridiculous.

And yes i don't know how you expect someone to defend and not stay moving to keep the offensive player in front of them. That is different than sliding over to block. Reaves is not beating these dudes off the dribble he is lowering his shoulder into a defender attempting to maintain position and defend per the rules.
And for the record, I’m not saying that this action should result in offensive fouls. They should be play ons with no whistle at all. Imagine another rookie getting this kind of whistle? You there? Ok. Now imagine this rookie isn’t a top 3 pick coming in with a huge reputation. You there? Now imagine he gives a press conference where the subject comes up and he flat out mentions two guys who were called out in a league video to show teams and officials of what NOT to call anymore. And dude gets 31 trips to the line in his last two games AFTER that press conference. Fucking crazy.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record, I’m not saying that this action should result in offensive fouls. They should be play ons with no whistle at all. Imagine another rookie getting this kind of whistle? You there? Ok. Now imagine this rookie isn’t a top 3 pick coming in with a huge reputation. You there? Now imagine he gives a press conference where the subject comes up and he flat out mentions two guys who were called out in a league video to show teams and officials of what NOT to call anymore. And dude gets 31 trips to the line in his last two games AFTER that press conference. Fucking crazy.

Agreed it should be a no call

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed it should be a no call
This isn’t an Austin Reaves comment but the league really does reward flopping and embellishment with the calls officials make. That’s why we see all the flailing and shit we see. Again, that’s not me calling out Reaves that’s everybody and I will own that two of my guys in Harden and Embiid embellish a lot.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they don't have legal guarding position, yes. Always has been. All of those defenders were moving and made contact with a shooting offensive player. Sure, there were some where the contact was light, but there was always contact. At least half of those are undeniable.
So even if you contort your body sideways that should be a foul? I don't agree. That should be deemed the same way as a shooter sticking out his leg or a shooter falling forward. Defenders aren't always in a legal guarding position defending the 3 either.

If you are running sideways with a defender and he contorts his body forward or to the side that isn't a normal shooting motion. It should be a no call. Now if the defender reaches that is a different story. A bunch of those plays the defender is simply just trying to guard Reaves, no reaching...he just contorts his shoulder into them. If you think this is a basketball play then I don't know what to say. It's not good for the whole of the game...it's already almost impossible to play defense. Soon a good defensive rating will be 120.0

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn’t an Austin Reaves comment but the league really does reward flopping and embellishment with the calls officials make. That’s why we see all the flailing and shit we see. Again, that’s not me calling out Reaves that’s everybody and I will own that two of my guys in Harden and Embiid embellish a lot.

Yep

I appreciate we want scoring but come on.. that reel was embarrassing.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh

Honestly, the league has pretty much allowed Lebron get away with that for years.
So maybe Beverly Hillsbilly Kobe has been heeding his teammate's advice on how to get to the FT line frequently, when he shouldn't be.
But it is what it is, and yeah it's pretty strange that Reaves, who hasn't really established himself consistently as a star (per se) in the league yet is suddenly getting those calls that many stars/vets still don't or can't get.

I'm not saying all the foul calls have been bogus, but there have been more than a few where the whistles were unwarranted.

That said...sometimes things have a way of balancing out down the road, and there'll come a time when those calls just won't be there for him any longer.

The debate and kvetching will continue ad infinitum.

Last edited:

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, the league has pretty much allowed Lebron get away with that for years.
So maybe Beverly Hillsbilly Kobe has been heeding his teammate's advice on how to get to the FT line frequently, when he shouldn't be.
But it is what it is, and yeah it's pretty strange that Reaves, who hasn't really established himself consistently as a star (per se) in the league yet is suddenly getting those calls that many stars/vets still don't or can't get.

I'm not saying all the foul calls have been bogus, but there have been more than a few where the whistles were unwarranted.

That said...sometimes things have a way of balancing out down the road, and there'll come a time when those calls just won't be there for him any longer.

The debate and kvetching will continue ad infinitum.

Austin Reaves will never be 25 percent of what Lebron is.

That's the difference.