• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Trade Deadline

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their #1 & #2 prospect, along with their #17 prospect and a guy outside the Top 30. Of course, this is also getting an additional year of Trea Turner. Makes the trade much more significant than just 2 months of Scherzer.
Look for the Nats to be contenders again in 3-4 years, now that they are tearing it down

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players of note from the above list:
Baltimore
Trey Mancini, 1st-dh - .254/.329/.453 in 307 ABs
Minnesota
Byron Buxton, cf - .369/.409/.767 in 103 ABs (currently on 10 day IL)
Nelson Cruz, dh - .306/.381/.571 in 252 ABs
Jose Berrios, sp - 3.52 ERA, 1.141 WHIP, 9.1 Ks/9 in 16 starts
Michael Pineda, sp - 3.70 ERA, 1.143 WHIP, 8.2 Ks/9 in 11 starts (currently on 10 day IL)
Taylor Rogers, rp - 2.52 ERA, 1.065 WHIP, 12.6 Ks/9 in 34 relief appearances
Kansas City
Carlos Santana, 1st - .246/.366/.410 in 293 ABs
Andrew Benintendi, lf - .279/.336/.423 in 222 ABs
Whit Merrifield, 2nd-rf - .283/.335/.428, 23 stolen bases in 332 ABs
Danny Duffy, sp - 2.60 ERA, 1.231 WHIP, 9.9 Ks/9 in 10 starts
Texas
Ian Kennedy, rp - 2.86 ERA, 1.129 WHIP, 9.8 Ks/9 in 28 relief appearances
Kyle Gibson, sp - 1.98 ERA, 1.035 WHIP, 7.6 Ks/9 in 16 starts
Joey Gallo, rf - .233/.387/.492 in 266 ABs
Pittsburgh
Chasen Shreve, rp - 2.25 ERA, 1.050 WHIP, 7.2 Ks/9 in 23 relief appearances
Ben Gamel, lf - .256/.315/.481 in 129 ABs
Adam Frazier, 2nd - .324/.396/.460 in 324 ABs
Colorado
Jon Gray, sp - 3.89 ERA, 1.243 WHIP, 7.9 Ks/9 in 14 starts
Mychal Givens, rp - 2.78 ERA, 1.279 WHIP, 9.9 Ks/9 in 24 relief appearances (currently on 10 day IL)
CJ Cron, 1st - .252/.356/.463 in 214 ABs
Trevor Story, ss - .256/.327/.455 in 266 ABs
Chris Owings, 2nd-rf - .308/.419/.654 in 26 ABs
Arizona
Edwin Escobar, 3rd-2nd - .248/.295/.471 in 310 ABs
Ketel Marte, cf - .370/.419/.556 in 135 ABs (currently on 10 day IL)

There are a few more teams to add to the sellers' list. The Tigers and Marlins both have dropped below the 10 games back in both races threshold. And while the Chicago Cubs haven't quite hit that threshold, the FO has been talking like sellers recently. So here are the pending free agents for after the 2021 and 2022 seasons. I am not including those who've spent the entire season on the IL. I've bolded those who I think are worth considering:
Detroit Tigers
(2021): Julio Teheran, sp (60 day IL); Jose Urena, sp; Derek Holland, rp; Daniel Norris, rp; Jonathan Schoop, 2nd; Nomar Mazara, of
(2022): Matthew Boyd, sp; Buck Farmer, rp; Michael Fulmer, rp; Robbie Grossman, of
Miami Marlins
(2021): Ross Detwiler, rp; Yimi Garcia, rp; Sandy Leon, c; Joe Panik, 2nd; Miguel Rojas, ss (1 option); Adam Duvall, of (1 option); Starling Marte, of
(2022): Anthony Bass, rp (1 option); Richard Bleier, rp; Jesus Aguilar, 1st
Chicago Cubs
(2021): Jake Arrieta, sp (1 option; 10 day IL); Zach Davies, sp; Andrew Chafin, rp (1 option); Craig Kimbrel, rp (1 option); Ryan Tepera, rp; Dan Winkler, rp; Austin Romine, c (60 day IL); Jaiver Baez, ss; Kris Bryant, 3rd; Matt Duffy, 3rd (60 day IL); Anthony Rizzo, 1st; Eric Sogard, 2nd (10 day IL); Jake Marisnick, of (1 option); Joc Pederson, of (1 option)
(2022): Kyle Hendricks, sp (1 option); Trevor Williams, sp; Rex Brothers, rp; Willson Contreras, c

The Cubs becoming sellers really expands the availability of decent relievers.
So, who is left among the guys I thought were worth acquiring?
Pitchers
Minnesota - Berrios, Pineda, Rogers (injured); Texas - Gibson, Kennedy; Pittsburgh - Shreve; Colorado - Gray; Detroit - Boyd (injured); Miami - Bleier; Chicago - Kimbrel, Winkler, Hendricks; Washingon Daniel Hudson, rp, Joe Ross, sp
Position Players
Baltimore - Mancini; Minnesota - Buxton; Kansas City - Santana, Benintendi, Whitfield; Pittsburgh - Gamel; Colorado - Cron, Story, Owings; Arizona - Marte; Chicago - Bryant; Washington - Kyle Schwarber, of

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look for the Nats to be contenders again in 3-4 years, now that they are tearing it down
The Dodgers are also taking on the remaining money owed to both players so the Nats are going to be saving some money and getting top prospects back. I assume Ruiz will be catching for them, starting tomorrow.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers are also taking on the remaining money owed to both players so the Nats are going to be saving some money and getting top prospects back. I assume Ruiz will be catching for them, starting tomorrow.
The dogs gave up that package AND took on all the remaining deferred money going to Scherzer?

Whoa buddy!!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Padres and Dodgers have each added like 3-4 good players. Giants not so much.

But we're keeping our prospects so yay?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Daniel Hudson to the Padres deal is more expensive than the Schwarber deal! The Padres gave up their 9th ranked prospect plus another guy outside of their top 30.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, who is left among the guys I thought were worth acquiring?
Pitchers
Minnesota - Berrios, Pineda, Rogers (injured); Texas - Gibson, Kennedy; Pittsburgh - Shreve; Colorado - Gray; Detroit - Boyd (injured); Miami - Bleier; Chicago - Kimbrel, Winkler, Hendricks; Washingon Daniel Hudson, rp, Joe Ross, sp
Position Players
Baltimore - Mancini; Minnesota - Buxton; Kansas City - Santana, Benintendi, Whitfield; Pittsburgh - Gamel; Colorado - Cron, Story, Owings; Arizona - Marte; Chicago - Bryant; Washington - Kyle Schwarber, of
Updating my board of who I think are worthwhile candidates to be traded, assuming all pending deals go through:
Starting pitchers: Jose Berrios; Kyle Gibson; Jon Gray; Wily Peralta; Michael Pineda; Joe Ross
Relief pitchers: Richard Bleier; Ian Kennedy; Craig Kimbrel; Taylor Rogers (injured); Chasen Shreve
Catchers: none
Infielders: Kris Bryant, 3rd; CJ Cron, 1st; Trey Mancini, 1st; Jonathan Schoop, 2nd; Trevor Story, ss (under protest, his numbers have gotten bad)
Outfielders: Robbie Grossman

I have removed Andrew Benintendi, Ben Gamel and Carlos Santana as their numbers have gone south in the past 3 weeks.

Whit Merrifield is also coming off the list due to listless production and the Royals wanting a lot for him if they trade him.

I've also removed Chris Owings as he is back on the IL, hasn't played much and his historical numbers aren't that good.

Byron Buxton is also being removed because the Twins have stated that they don't want to trade him but there remains a possibility.

Lastly, I've removed Ketel Marte as he is on the IL and the D-Backs have publicly said that they will not trade him. However, I could still see a deal if someone offers enough of a package to make the D-Backs bite.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Daniel Hudson to the Padres deal is more expensive than the Schwarber deal! The Padres gave up their 9th ranked prospect plus another guy outside of their top 30.
The Padres #9 prospect <> the BoSox #9 prospect.

there has been a lot of this kind of equating goin on here the last day or so. It is maddeningly DUMB. You guys are better than this.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Padres #9 prospect <> the BoSox #9 prospect.

there has been a lot of this kind of equating goin on here the last day or so. It is maddeningly DUMB. You guys are better than this.
Are you asking how the prospects compare to each other? Talking about the prospect ranking isn't an exact measurement of cost but it does give a picture of the cost for the club acquiring big league talent. The Red Sox shipping off their 19th ranked prospect for Schwarber tells us that they had approximately 18 more highly touted prospects that they got to keep while getting a slugging outfielder for the stretch drive. The Padres, meanwhile, had to give up their 9th most highly touted prospect, plus an unranked prospect, for a reliever.
Yes, prospect rankings are fluid and arbitrary. Some clubs' 9th ranked prospect would be ranked 20th in other organizations and 5th in still others. They don't tell an absolute picture. And prospects don't work out often either. Neither do major league acquisitions. I'm not giving a final "this trade is awful" or "this trade was amazing", or even scaling them. I'm just trying to give some kind of definition of immediate, apparent cost.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how do we feel if Farhan doesn't do dick?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I go back and forth on that. A reliever or two would be nice, and maybe a starter. However, I don't want our best prospects traded away, knowing the risk that they may never pan out. This group of players have gotten us this far (4 months of BRIB). We'll see how far that get us the rest of the way.
So, to answer your question, I may be slightly disappointed but okay. With the remaining group of players probably available, there's not much to pick from anyway. We've got Bryant, Berrios, Kennedy, Gibson and Kimbrel as the top tier players left. Then there is Story. Jon Gray is supposedly off the market, according to the Rockies yesterday and Taylor Rogers is injured.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I go back and forth on that. A reliever or two would be nice, and maybe a starter. However, I don't want our best prospects traded away, knowing the risk that they may never pan out. This group of players have gotten us this far (4 months of BRIB). We'll see how far that get us the rest of the way.
So, to answer your question, I may be slightly disappointed but okay. With the remaining group of players probably available, there's not much to pick from anyway. We've got Bryant, Berrios, Kennedy, Gibson and Kimbrel as the top tier players left. Then there is Story. Jon Gray is supposedly off the market, according to the Rockies yesterday and Taylor Rogers is injured.
All we need is more pitching. Not Story, not Bryant.

I don't like seeing the Padres and Dodgers reload and we just sit there

How long is Rogers out? He'd be a reasonably priced upgrade

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d be more shocked than anything else. Giants are in a weird spot, they don’t have any long term cornerstones or young superstars performing well (on the hitting side, Webb may be legit). So do you mortgage a promising group of youngsters for potential fools gold? Or do you make slight tweaks here and there and hope for the best?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All we need is more pitching. Not Story, not Bryant.

I don't like seeing the Padres and Dodgers reload and we just sit there

How long is Rogers out? He'd be a reasonably priced upgrade
I agree on not needing hitters, just listing the top names left on the trade market.

Rogers is supposed to be out for at least another week, so he could be a possibility. He sprained the middle finger on his pitching hand, so it really depends on how quickly it heals.

Dodgers have definitely upgraded. Not so sure yet on the Padres. Here's an update on Berrios:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on not needing hitters, just listing the top names left on the trade market.

Rogers is supposed to be out for at least another week, so he could be a possibility. He sprained the middle finger on his pitching hand, so it really depends on how quickly it heals.

Dodgers have definitely upgraded. Not so sure yet on the Padres. Here's an update on Berrios:
Then let's get Rogers....great story with his brother obviously

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really not sure what I actually want. Scherzer made me really think about 'pitching' needs. As a SP he'd get 12 to 14 starts over the next 60 games. If the SP he replaces goes 6-6 Scherzer going 9-3 nets us 3 games. Playoffs offer a better return. But, I've always thought our real issues are within the pen. Once the SP leaves Then it becomes dicey. Trying to cover 3 scoreless innings hasn't been easy for us. The 9th inning guy is a crap shoot every time out. I love Rogers. He's hard to hit but the ball is usually always put in play. A walk or a fielding error makes it dicey. I also like McGee. He's our only real strikeout pitcher but when they hit the ball they hit it very hard. He also seems to overthrow at times and gets wild. I agree that our need is pitching but I think we need a legimate closer. A decent starter pickup would allow us to put one of the starters in the pen but still doesn't cover the closer issue. Not sure if any of you remember the 2003 pickup of Sydney Ponson. He was 14-6 when traded for and looked like our answer. He went 3-6 for us. Sometimes things just don't work out. On another note ... I really don't see the need for a position player. Maybe if we lost someone to an injury but not for the sake of simply getting a body. Just my 2 cents ....

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really not sure what I actually want. Scherzer made me really think about 'pitching' needs. As a SP he'd get 12 to 14 starts over the next 60 games. If the SP he replaces goes 6-6 Scherzer going 9-3 nets us 3 games. Playoffs offer a better return. But, I've always thought our real issues are within the pen. Once the SP leaves Then it becomes dicey. Trying to cover 3 scoreless innings hasn't been easy for us. The 9th inning guy is a crap shoot every time out. I love Rogers. He's hard to hit but the ball is usually always put in play. A walk or a fielding error makes it dicey. I also like McGee. He's our only real strikeout pitcher but when they hit the ball they hit it very hard. He also seems to overthrow at times and gets wild. I agree that our need is pitching but I think we need a legimate closer. A decent starter pickup would allow us to put one of the starters in the pen but still doesn't cover the closer issue. Not sure if any of you remember the 2003 pickup of Sydney Ponson. He was 14-6 when traded for and looked like our answer. He went 3-6 for us. Sometimes things just don't work out. On another note ... I really don't see the need for a position player. Maybe if we lost someone to an injury but not for the sake of simply getting a body. Just my 2 cents ....
Ponson, I do remember that trade. I was in Sacramento when it happened and remember reading the newspaper (remember those) in the hotel room about the deal. Didn't really like it, because I was even more laser focused on keeping prospects. That deal didn't work for either team, because, as you mentioned, Ponson wasn't that good for the Giants and the prospects didn't pan out for the Orioles. Didn't he re-sign with the Orioles that off-season?
The position player talk has me baffled. We've got a bunch of guys coming on the IL soon. That seems like plenty of reinforcements, already creating a roster crunch.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't want to upset the apple cart too much. A proven closer without mortgaging the future would be nice. Love to see some RH outfield power, but only if it has the potential for a longer term signing. We've Longo, Belt, and LaStella (?hopefully) coming back and team chemistry is good. Remember Beltran <-> Wheeler