• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Offseason/Season... Draft, FA & Staff

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can only hope this doesn't mean that Ben will continue to throw 40-50 times per game.

They will go through the QB like every other team and run the plays Ben prefers within the confines of Canada’s offense, this might be much ado bout nothing.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can only hope this doesn't mean that Ben will continue to throw 40-50 times per game.

They will go through the QB like every other team and run the plays Ben prefers within the confines of Canada’s offense, this might be much ado bout nothing.
I am hoping the later "much ado about nothing" but have a bad feeling Canada is just the OC in name only.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ugh . Thats all i can say

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some minicamp day 1 notes:

1. O-line... Chuks played at LT & Dotson at LG. DeCastro didn't suit up & Banner is still rehabbing. Tomlin declined to discuss DeCastro's situation. Quite the carousel at C.

2. Brooks Jr. Was working with the 1's in the slot with Sutton outside. Pierre rotating in with the 2nd group outside. Looking like he'll be a primary backup & not a slot CB.

3. Devin Bush is a full go at minicamp after being limited in OTAs. But as expected they are being cautious. V-Will, Spillane & newcomer Buddy Johnson are getting lots of work.

4. Injuries... Roethlisberger & Juju left practice early (before mid-way), but Tomlin didn't act concerned nor did he say what happened. Looks like Claypool is dealing with a minor thumb sprain of sorts.

5. Lack of depth at OLB is a hot button issue. Butler is openly challenging that area, mainly Marsh. "We drafted one guy and we think he's going to be all right" - Butler said. Assuming he's talking about Roche.. Hopefully they are keeping the options open for a FA. Maybe they'll pocket someone during cuts. Highsmith receiving a lot of praise from both coaches & teammates for his preparation for this season.

6. More praise for Najee's work ethic. Dude is locked in & soaking up every ounce of it.

7. Matt Canada's remarks about "we're gonna do what Ben wants to do & how he wants to do it" were a tad overblown. Every coach should look to tailor their offense to their personnel's strengths. This is no different. Ben's mobility is a concern when booting out wide, but they'll figure out what works best within the confines of Canada's system. But one thing's for sure, Ben's going to have to operate under center a lot more this season. There has been a particular emphasis on play action so far this summer. Also Canada made a lot of remarks about committing to the run game. They wouldn't draft Harris & invest into the O-line if they planned on letting Ben throw the ball 40-50 times a game. Ben & Najee have been spending a lot of time together on the field during OTAs & again in minicamp.

8. TJ Watt isn't letting the contract situation deter him from working with the team. "being around teammates is one of the most important aspects of minicamp, instilling what the Steeler Way is". Also talked about the work ethic it requires to be a great NFL player. Consistency & always being hungry. He emphasized wanting to work on chemistry with Highsmith.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When I saw the quotes from Canada I took it as they were planning on being smart.

They've chosen Ben as their quarterback for 2021. If their chosen quarterback has plays that he feels comfortable with and plays that he is not comfortable with, you go with what he does best. It would be terrible coaching and game planning to force a square peg into a round hole.

What I'm worried about is that Ben is SO OPPOSITE what Canada needs to run his offense the way he wants to that the offense fails. In some ways I really wish we would have just moved on from Ben so we can see the true beginnings of what this offense can be. And that's coming from a huge Ben fan.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I saw the quotes from Canada I took it as they were planning on being smart.

They've chosen Ben as their quarterback for 2021. If their chosen quarterback has plays that he feels comfortable with and plays that he is not comfortable with, you go with what he does best. It would be terrible coaching and game planning to force a square peg into a round hole.

What I'm worried about is that Ben is SO OPPOSITE what Canada needs to run his offense the way he wants to that the offense fails. In some ways I really wish we would have just moved on from Ben so we can see the true beginnings of what this offense can be. And that's coming from a huge Ben fan.
Agreed. All of Ben's limitations & preferences are pretty much the opposite of Canada's collegiate systems. But that's college ball where you want your offenses to be spread out with lots of misdirection. That stuff actually works in college, not so much the NFL. So with that in mind you have to think that Canada didn't plan on deploying a collegiate style offense. His creativity will definitely help adapt his schemes to the NFL though. That's where our focus should be.

My biggest worry is Ben booting out of the pocket. He's not mobile enough to outrun an edge guy. It just won't happen.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Passing offense was fine, except for two things:
1. Too much reliance on the short passing game. And that was play design from the last OC.
2. WR's dropping catchable balls. Only the WR's can fix that.

The Run offense is the one that needs the work, and hopefully, Canada really puts his stamp.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh he may be the backup. But long term… imni haskins fan or believer, just a hunch
I agree. The chance he turns it around and becomes our starter is infinitesimal. Probably the same chance as Mason doing it, too.

But maybe he can carve out a career backup role, or at some point get traded somewhere.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trai turner eh. Yes plz
He is a Pro-Bowl starter.

So does he send Dotson to the bench, or force DeCastro to a trade?

Seems like something that just isn't a need right now. Starting guard is a strength.

I'd rather find a Tackle.

If he comes cheap though, sure.

Last edited:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like something that just isn't a need right now. Starting guard is a strength.

Agree. The puzzlinh part is why they r looking at guards. Saw some ppl pointing to something may be up with decastro fwiw. Im with you, much rather have a tackle. No doubt about i.

Turner had a ton of injuries last year, and a really rough year, so some folks like the ones at steeler depot are very against this. Is it our biggest need? No way. But anytime you can upgrade, no matter how marginal im on board. I dont expect a superbowl. But this is likely bens last radio(or at least with any semblance of a shot)

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree. The puzzlinh part is why they r looking at guards. Saw some ppl pointing to something may be up with decastro fwiw. Im with you, much rather have a tackle. No doubt about i.

Turner had a ton of injuries last year, and a really rough year, so some folks like the ones at steeler depot are very against this. Is it our biggest need? No way. But anytime you can upgrade, no matter how marginal im on board. I dont expect a superbowl. But this is likely bens last radio(or at least with any semblance of a shot)
Somethin is up with DeCastro. Dude was banged up all last season and then enters OTAs & minicamp still dogged by health issues? Is he used goods at this point?

Entering the final year of his contract and registering a hefty $14.2m cap hit this year... It's shaky ground to have that much tied up into an unreliable player. He still managed to put together 13 games last year, but he was noticeably less effective.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somethin is up with DeCastro. Dude was banged up all last season and then enters OTAs & minicamp still dogged by health issues? Is he used goods at this point?

Entering the final year of his contract and registering a hefty $14.2m cap hit this year... It's shaky ground to have that much tied up into an unreliable player. He still managed to put together 13 games last year, but he was noticeably less effective.
Yep thats my thoughts too, that he may bit be playong this year, at least not with us: shame heS been awesome.

go haskins