• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NE Patriots Roster

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Rookie fullback Ben Mason has agreed to terms with the Patriots’ practice squad, according to a report from NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport. The addition comes a day after NFL Player Pathway Program alum Jakob Johnson made the 53-man roster in New England. Mason, 22, was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in the fifth round out of Michigan this spring. He played both sides of the ball and on special teams during his 45-game Wolverines career.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garrett Gilbert, QB (reported by Field Yates): Gilbert is a long-time practice squad veteran quarterback that spent the end of 2014 and the early part of 2015 with the Patriots. He got the first start of his career last year for the Cowboys after working his way up as a backup for the Browns and Panthers. He'll offer a third layer of depth behind Brian Hoyer and Mac Jones.

Nick Folk, K: Quinn Nordin made the initial 53-man roster, but veteran Nick Folk is also on his way back to Foxborough. Folk had an excellent year in 2020, hitting two game-winning kicks that earned him Special Teams Player of the Week, he's a good insurance plan behind the rookie.

Patriots still have 4 positions open on the practice squad.

Harvey Langi was released but will be resigned as soon as N'Keal Harry is officially placed on the IR which will take place tomorrow.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given realistic expectations, are we happy with this roster? Does anyone see other moves that could have/should have been made?

Of course we all can find ticky tacky "improvements", but all in all, could we have something substantially better?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given realistic expectations, are we happy with this roster? Does anyone see other moves that could have/should have been made?

Of course we all can find ticky tacky "improvements", but all in all, could we have something substantially better?
Hoping Agoholor or Meyers can assume duties and play leke a #1 WR. Even if they are the 32nd ranked #1 WR, I'll be ok with that.
Otherwise wish we had a real #1.
Overall pretty happy with the O.

Happy with the D. Wish we could've traded Gilmore.

Like the STs but BB, why keep three guys who only play STs. Scratching my head.

I think we see Wilkerson sooner than later.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping Agoholor or Meyers can assume duties and play leke a #1 WR. Even if they are the 32nd ranked #1 WR, I'll be ok with that.
Otherwise wish we had a real #1.
Overall pretty happy with the O.

Like the STs but BB, why keep three guys who only play STs. Scratching my head.

I think we see Wilkerson sooner than later.
But starting with the 12/31/2020 roster and available resources since then, what move(s) would you have made to upgrade the WR core? Top tier WRs in free agencies are an expensive proposition. Would you have drafted one at 15 instead of Mac? Or would you have used the Barmore pick?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to ESPN, this is underway. Gilmore is digging in his feet that he wants a new contract before he takes the field. ESPN says that BB has let it be known to all teams interested that Gilmore is available. There was a rumor earlier this week that the Arizona Cardinals had made an overture but nothing happened. They probably offered a 5th or 6th round pick because teams were peeling off players that they knew they couldn't keep for just about anything. Gilmore was the DPOY in 2019 is still considered one the top three man coverage CBs. If the trade is for a pick or picks, a second rounder would be the least I'd take. Better, a 2nd rounder and a WR would be more to my liking.

I know that the NFLPA and the league allow this contract bullshit by players, but under the circumstances, Gilmore agreed to get an advance on 2021 in 2020 and played in only 11 games. He got $7.5M of his 2021 contract and now after agreeing he's decided that he wants more even after surgery. This is where the league needs to step in and say, You play. If you don't we extend your contract in 2022. If you still don't it will extend to 2023. You're 30 years old, had a torn quad and surgery to repair it. You haven't done anything to prove that you're medically fit to play NFL level football. Show the Patriots that you're physically able to play and then negotiate a new contract. Contracts are legal documents that enforceable by laws and standards. When a contract is altered to suit a player's needs or demands, the player should have to legally honor the contract.

On the other side, the Patriots should have said that they would give him the raise but that he would have agree to a two year extension and have some incentives. Bad management decision.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where the league needs to step in and say, You play. If you don't we extend your contract in 2022. If you still don't it will extend to 2023.
The league can't do this. They have already agreed to allow this based on the current collective bargaining agreement. There has to be teeth within the next bargaining agreement to prevent entitled players from undermining the value of lower tier players.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But starting with the 12/31/2020 roster and available resources since then, what move(s) would you have made to upgrade the WR core? Top tier WRs in free agencies are an expensive proposition. Would you have drafted one at 15 instead of Mac? Or would you have used the Barmore pick?
Perfect point. The Pats got Agholor and Bourne relatively cheap. Agholor for $11.25M per for 2 and Bourne $9M for 3. The top tier guys all got $15M+ per. The best of the lot were not in the top 10.

Fitzgerald, Fulghram and Merriman and a few others all seem to be holding back for a bigger payday. Problem is that teams are hoarding money for the potential injuries and having to pay someone to sign during the season.

Do wish that BB would bring in one or two and let the guys that are here know that they aren't on solid footing.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league can't do this. They have already agreed to allow this based on the current collective bargaining agreement. There has to be teeth within the next bargaining agreement to prevent entitled players from undermining the value of lower tier players.
I know, but this contract was altered and he agreed to it less than a year ago. It doesn't fall under a normal contract scenario. I think it would take a set of big balls to challenge it, but it could end this crap.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, but this contract was altered and he agreed to it less than a year ago. It doesn't fall under a normal contract scenario. I think it would take a set of big balls to challenge it, but it could end this crap.
We both agree what he is doing is wrong. We both probably agree he took the money last year with the intention of not honoring it this year. The team probably knew this and planned to ship him before his injury complicated this. However the CBA is the CBA and the Pats should have the balls to not play him.

It's a 7 million hit and he becomes an asset with diminished value. They can trade, him, but a second for an asset with diminished value is too much to expect in return.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've went after different FA vets. Agoholor and Bourne have never been more than a #2/#3. I've never been a fan of Agoholor. He drops the ball too much. For some reason BB likes him.

Glad we went and got Henry and Smith. That helps to offset the lack of a #1.

Agoholor will make a handful of plays that will have us saying, damn why can't he do that all the time. He'll also drop sure TDs or big gain plays. Going to love and hate him I'm afraid.

No Bill has shown he can't draft WRs.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to ESPN, this is underway. Gilmore is digging in his feet that he wants a new contract before he takes the field. ESPN says that BB has let it be known to all teams interested that Gilmore is available. There was a rumor earlier this week that the Arizona Cardinals had made an overture but nothing happened. They probably offered a 5th or 6th round pick because teams were peeling off players that they knew they couldn't keep for just about anything. Gilmore was the DPOY in 2019 is still considered one the top three man coverage CBs. If the trade is for a pick or picks, a second rounder would be the least I'd take. Better, a 2nd rounder and a WR would be more to my liking.

I know that the NFLPA and the league allow this contract bullshit by players, but under the circumstances, Gilmore agreed to get an advance on 2021 in 2020 and played in only 11 games. He got $7.5M of his 2021 contract and now after agreeing he's decided that he wants more even after surgery. This is where the league needs to step in and say, You play. If you don't we extend your contract in 2022. If you still don't it will extend to 2023. You're 30 years old, had a torn quad and surgery to repair it. You haven't done anything to prove that you're medically fit to play NFL level football. Show the Patriots that you're physically able to play and then negotiate a new contract. Contracts are legal documents that enforceable by laws and standards. When a contract is altered to suit a player's needs or demands, the player should have to legally honor the contract.

On the other side, the Patriots should have said that they would give him the raise but that he would have agree to a two year extension and have some incentives. Bad management decision.
Oh I'm not saying they should've given Gilmore away for peanuts. A solid #1 WR and a 3rd, I would be ok with.

As for what the Pats should or shouldn't have done with his contract we could come up with 100s of possibilities. Yes he needs to show he's healthy. Maybe BB knows something we don't.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Show the Patriots that you're physically able to play and then negotiate a new contract.

This.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe because he's the only one to show anything while in a Patriot uniform.
Yeah this was a position of concern last year, and while it seems like an effort was made to bring guys in those guys showed me nothing. We may not have a choice but to run the ball

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best receiver on our team this year is going to be............................................JJ Taylor.

Book it.