• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA regular season thread

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said the same thing about us getting AD....LOL.
if you can magic up a top 5 pick, additional multiple first rounders, and multiple players taken in the top 5- then id say- ya got a great chance

when you have no picks to trade, no cap room, and basically no players of excess value on rookie contracts- id say less so. lol.

i mean, we just saw what harden- who was fat and disgruntled and forcing his way out went for (a ton of first rounders and pick swaps and levert and allen) - and we just saw what jrue holiday (salary relief in someone taking bledsoe and a ton of first rounders and pickswaps) went for.

I cant even imagine. lol.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all had assets then. Now you don't.

You got the cap hold for Schroder for 23 mil. About it
and you cant trade a cap hold.

they are kind of in a tristan thompson situation

they have no cap room to get anyone else- so theyare goinna have to overpay schroeder to stay--- and he will prob get like 23M a year for 3-4 years. thats basically your "third guy".

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and you cant trade a cap hold.

they are kind of in a tristan thompson situation

they have no cap room to get anyone else- so theyare goinna have to overpay schroeder to stay--- and he will prob get like 23M a year for 3-4 years. thats basically your "third guy".

Yep

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AD2022MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How could it not?

LAC certainly has enough talent to win a title. Their issue is leadership. Butler is a leader. Kawhi could do his thing and thrive playing with Jimmy Butler.
Do you think Kawhi would be happy being deemed second fiddle on the Heat?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen A just had one of his better meltdowns on ESPN demaning all insiders be drug tested. To be fair, hes right...

They had Devin Booker only rated as the 8th best player 25 and under?!?!??! I think Booker is typically overrated as shit in most cases, but having him 8th on that list is insane.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think we get our 3rd Amigo in the offseason...via trade.

I agree with Wiggy and Stakes. I don't think the Lakers have the assets to trade for a 3rd guy. I think they would have to try to clear cap space. I linked an interesting article yesterday that suggested the Lakers should let Schroder walk and try to bring Lonzo back.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt that would end up in a better winning situation for Kawhi.

W.T.F.

How would that not be a great fit??

1. Kawhi is still super good
2. Jimmy can be the leader which Kawhi doesn't really desire
3. Jimmy especially and Bam are guys who have well rounded games that allow them to play 2nd and 3rd scoring option. This is a core and an organization strictly built on the winning games mentality.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Wiggy and Stakes. I don't think the Lakers have the assets to trade for a 3rd guy. I think they would have to try to clear cap space. I linked an interesting article yesterday that suggested the Lakers should let Schroder walk and try to bring Lonzo back.

Think what Wiggy is saying in regards to Dennis is that they'd have to sign him or they can't go over the cap for another player. They could sign and trade him and possibly KCP or something for a more expensive player but those two by themselves likely only get you an older player on a big deal or someone slightly overpaid.

AD2022MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
W.T.F.

How would that not be a great fit??

1. Kawhi is still super good
2. Jimmy can be the leader which Kawhi doesn't really desire
3. Jimmy especially and Bam are guys who have well rounded games that allow them to play 2nd and 3rd scoring option. This is a core and an organization strictly built on the winning games mentality.

The Clippers have more talent than the Heat right now. Tlance suggested Kawhi would have an opportunity to play with a leader in Butler which would make for a better situation. I just doubt Kawhi would be happy being Wade to Butler’s Lebron. Kawhi has a big enough ego where he wants most of the credit for winning.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think what Wiggy is saying in regards to Dennis is that they'd have to sign him or they can't go over the cap for another player. They could sign and trade him and possibly KCP or something for a more expensive player but those two by themselves likely only get you an older player on a big deal or someone slightly overpaid.

Yeah, I can't remember if the article said HOW they would do it. Just that they should. I'll have to go back and re-read it to see if they included the "HOW" part.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Clippers have more talent than the Heat right now. Tlance suggested Kawhi would have an opportunity to play with a leader in Butler which would make for a better situation. I just doubt Kawhi would be happy being Wade to Butler’s Lebron. Kawhi has a big enough ego where he wants most of the credit for winning.

He was fine in that role with the Spurs. He wasn't a leader in Toronto and did fine there. The problem with the Clippers is that they were expecting him to be a leader and he's not that guy. That's why they brought in Rondo.

I think Kawhi would be perfectly happy to just play basketball and let Jimmy lead. The problem for him, imo, is how well he fits with Miami's culture. I'm not sure how well some of the special treatment he expects will fly in Miami. If memory serves, there was some friction between Lebron and the Miami FO because they told him no on some of his demands.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who the hell knows with Kawhi...but imo, the only way he for sure returns to the Clips is if they make the finals. If they make the WCF, I think it'll be 50/50. Anything less than WCF and I think he's gone.

My concern with him going to the Heat would be him not fitting in with the Heat culture. He seems to expect some special treatment.
You may be right. But, the Heat made it work with Lebron (before he had a title under his belt). They have a model of dealing with high profile stars. Only thing with Kawhi is that he's won at multiple places already, so that could be a factor to consider.

AD2022MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was fine in that role with the Spurs. He wasn't a leader in Toronto and did fine there. The problem with the Clippers is that they were expecting him to be a leader and he's not that guy. That's why they brought in Rondo.

I think Kawhi would be perfectly happy to just play basketball and let Jimmy lead. The problem for him, imo, is how well he fits with Miami's culture. I'm not sure how well some of the special treatment he expects will fly in Miami. If memory serves, there was some friction between Lebron and the Miami FO because they told him no on some of his demands.
That’s true. I think it’s more about the credit than the leadership then. In Toronto, Lowry and Nurse were the leaders and Pops for San Antonio but Kawhi was viewed as the best player and got most of the credit for winning. Of course in San Antonio it was just his last couple of years. The time there when he was young it didn’t seem he cared as much as he does now. If Kawhi goes to Miami I think Butler would get most of the credit for winning which wouldn’t sit well with Kawhi.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you can magic up a top 5 pick, additional multiple first rounders, and multiple players taken in the top 5- then id say- ya got a great chance

when you have no picks to trade, no cap room, and basically no players of excess value on rookie contracts- id say less so. lol.

i mean, we just saw what harden- who was fat and disgruntled and forcing his way out went for (a ton of first rounders and pick swaps and levert and allen) - and we just saw what jrue holiday (salary relief in someone taking bledsoe and a ton of first rounders and pickswaps) went for.

I cant even imagine. lol.

That Jrue signing will come back to bite the Bucks hard IMO. Overpay for sure.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Expecting Rondo to be a full time starter and the team leader may be a worse idea. He's a worthwhile addition, but I think they're expecting too much.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SAS going off on ESPN and he's right.

LaMelo Ball over Booker, Simmons, Mitchell, and Tatum and more in the best under 25 players.....LMAO.

Now that's crazy talk. Wait a minute, did I just agree with Screamin' A? Oh shit, there goes the planet! <----shoutout to Spaceballs. LaMelo was a having a damn good rookie year before the injury bug got him. But no way is he better than those four players.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
article yesterday that suggested the Lakers should let Schroder walk and try to bring Lonzo back

Gotta disagree with that one. It may not be as evident with Lebron out, but Schroder is a great fit and should be extended IMO. If you're fishing for another piece, Kuzma and KCP should be the bait IMO (if that interests anyone). The core of Lebron/AD/Schroder/THT and probably Montrezl should be considered set, with everyone else fighting to keep their spot (or moved for better fits) this offseason. I don't expect Drummond to stay unless he commits to a much lower salary (and his fit when the team is 100% healthy remains to be seen).