• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA regular season thread

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a transcendent athlete for his time and changed the game. Its just odd to me how little love his teammates get looking back.

Exactly.

Great team player for sure. Does not belong in the conversation for greatest individual player ever.

They won so much because they had a roster full of HOF players. Russell was the best of the bunch.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

Great team player for sure. Does not belong in the conversation for greatest individual player ever.

They won so much because they had a roster full of HOF players. Russell was the best of the bunch.

Read something recently that there was only four players taller than 6 8 in 1960 in the entire league lol.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sixers now on a 6-0 run, 2-0 without Embiid. Ben Simmons is now 13-0 in his career vs the Knicks (but it should be noted that this is the first year in that time that the Knicks haven’t been dog shit). Pretty psyched that Tobias Harris got left off the All Star team. He’s been a man possessed.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sixers now on a 6-0 run, 2-0 without Embiid. Ben Simmons is now 13-0 in his career vs the Knicks (but it should be noted that this is the first year in that time that the Knicks haven’t been dog shit). Pretty psyched that Tobias Harris got left off the All Star team. He’s been a man possessed.

The thing that is impressive about Tobias is he keeps working on his game. He is just now peaking at 28 years old nearly 10 years in the league. Hes shooting better than ever. If anyone can contend with the Nets its them. Embiid gotta bring his heart with him this year.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that is impressive about Tobias is he keeps working on his game. He is just now peaking at 28 years old nearly 10 years in the league. Hes shooting better than ever. If anyone can contend with the Nets its them. Embiid gotta bring his heart with him this year.
Need to get Embiid healthy and then catch a little luck that he stays healthy.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a transcendent athlete for his time and changed the game. Its just odd to me how little love his teammates get looking back.

Well a few of his teammates were Hall of Famers. But the Celtics never got to the finals before Russell then proceeded to win 10 titles in 12 years with Russell and then missed the playoffs the next several years after Russell retired.

To be clear I HATE the Celtics. And the league was pretty tiny back then so getting to the finals wasn't nearly the challenge it is today. But it is hard to argue with how dominant a player Russell was at the time.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sixers are 3-0 without Embiid in this stretch. And last night was their first game in this stretch where they won by fewer than 10 points.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well a few of his teammates were Hall of Famers. But the Celtics never got to the finals before Russell then proceeded to win 10 titles in 12 years with Russell and then missed the playoffs the next several years after Russell retired.

To be clear I HATE the Celtics. And the league was pretty tiny back then so getting to the finals wasn't nearly the challenge it is today. But it is hard to argue with how dominant a player Russell was at the time.

Relative to era without question. I just start taking pause when we throw him in all time conversations. And it wasnt just a few of his teammates it was 8 lol.

We see the gaudy rebounding numbers and dont take into account pace and comp. And the fact the league average shooting was substantially worse than now minus a three point shot.

Average boards per game was 73!! In the 60s whereas it is in the mid 40s now.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Relative to era without question. I just start taking pause when we throw him in all time conversations. And it wasnt just a few of his teammates it was 8 lol.

We see the gaudy rebounding numbers and dont take into account pace and comp. And the fact the league average shooting was substantially worse than now minus a three point shot.

Average boards per game was 73!! In the 60s whereas it is in the mid 40s now.

I think we can only really compared players by era.

Babe Ruth would be a league average player today.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 153,623.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You have got to be kidding. That is assinine.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Baseball was THE sport for many many years. For me its easier to compare eras within it.

The NBA is probably the hardest. Most tend to discount leather helmet days of the nfl and think in terms of just prior to the super bowl era forward.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Considering how much smaller ballparks are today compared to Ruth's day how many HR's do you think he'd average per year?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball was THE sport for many many years. For me its easier to compare eras within it.

The NBA is probably the hardest. Most tend to discount leather helmet days of the nfl and think in terms of just prior to the super bowl era forward.

It is easier than the other sports but not nearly as easy as people may realize. Especially when you go that far back.

Ruth played in an era when there were STILL players that treated baseball as their day job and had other jobs in the off-season. Ruth was incredible for his era. But he FAMOUSLY didn't give a shit about his body. And you just can't be like that today. EVERY pitcher is throwing gas EVERY inning. You don't have rubber armed pitchers going 10 innings these days.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering how much smaller ballparks are today compared to Ruth's day how many HR's do you think he'd average per year?

It's hard to say really. Babe was a BIG dude for his era but he would be a pudgy out of shape guy today. He had INCREDIBLE eye hand coordination though. So he would still get some homers. But he wouldn't be able to feast off pretty average to poor pitchers in the back of a team rotation.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to say really. Babe was a BIG dude for his era but he would be a pudgy out of shape guy today. He had INCREDIBLE eye hand coordination though. So he would still get some homers. But he wouldn't be able to feast off pretty average to poor pitchers in the back of a team rotation.

With the training and the specialized diets pro athletes have today you think he'd be as fat and pudgy? I would think he'd be in better shape in todays game. I just think certain all time greats no matter what era they played in would have success in todays game.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the training and the specialized diets pro athletes have today you think he'd be as fat and pudgy? I would think he'd be in better shape in todays game. I just think certain all time greats no matter what era they played in would have success in todays game.

That is the big unknown. Maybe he would have adapted to modern training techniques. But I'm not so sure. I always viewed him as someone who was vastly superior in talent to his peers but not someone who really focused on being the best.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the big unknown. Maybe he would have adapted to modern training techniques. But I'm not so sure. I always viewed him as someone who was vastly superior in talent to his peers but not someone who really focused on being the best.
Babe Ruth grew up in an orphanage. There’s a 50/50 chance he would have been aborted if he was a contemporary. You can go so many different ways with hypotheticals.