• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA regular season thread

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams can sign a player to a poison pill contract to discourage the team from matching the offer
basically what happened with Tyler Johnson was the arenas rule.

"The Arenas provision limits the first-year salary that rival suitors can offer restricted free agents who have only been in the league for one or two years. ... An offer sheet from another team can still have an average annual salary that exceeds the non-taxpayer's mid-level, however."

so the Nets COULDNT technically offer him anymore in year 1 then a small raise on the contract that the Heat had signed him too. He was an RFA after only 2 years because he was not drafted.

While- since the Heat had his Bird Rights, they COULD offer him more. The contract was inflated to get him away from the Heat- since the Nets had no draft picks and were terrible. But the Heat for some reason decided to match anyway.

this of course is not a concern with Garland who was drafted and will be an RFA with more than 2 years service time.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out Brock Landes on Twitter.
He does breakdowns of the Sixers games showing the sets they are running and sometimes how it compares to last season.

@LandesBrock

He's heavy with the homerism, but it's a pretty good technical breakdown with graphics en sech.

I'll check it out.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it sounds like the Cavs are actually in a great situation and have nothing to worry about!!

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Initial idea they'd see a lot of losing and want to leave after rookie deals was kooky talk. when it comes to the Cavs not sure anything that was said makes any sense. Different story if we had an owner who was unwilling to spend and go over the tax if need be. It's not like we need to refrain from spending to clear the cap to lure an elite FA here.

totally agree, though, no need to spend wildly on any of the 3 if they are not worthy.
lol yah what about Simmons and Embiid who saw more losing than anyone? Those early philly teams were just wretched.

honestly none of this made any sense.

Now- look at Collins in Atlanta---- he is going to be an RFA- and the Hawks already have ton of salary committed elsewhere and have a bunch of bigs like Gallo and Capela, and a good young big in the guy they drafted

in that situation do you maybe try and trade Collins right now if you have no intention of matching after you have already offered a guy a 90 million dollar contract and he turned it down?

sure- that probably makes sense.

but you definitely have to figure out whaat you have and try and offer a deal before just trading a former #5 pick for 50 cents on the dollar because you are worried a bout an offer sheet might scare you away 3 seasons from now. lol...think of how stupid that sounds.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it sounds like the Cavs are actually in a great situation and have nothing to worry about!!
they certainly dont have to worry about a "what if" 3 offseasons from now and that a hypothetical team MIGHt make an offer sheet they dont want to match. Thats crazy. so instead trade a former top 5 pick for 50 cents on the dollar.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they certainly dont have to worry about a "what if" 3 offseasons from now and that a hypothetical team MIGHt make an offer sheet they dont want to match. Thats crazy.

You're absolutely right. They can keep going full steam ahead without any concern for the future. Who knows? They might even be an 8 seed in a year or 2.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams can sign a player to a poison pill contract to discourage the team from matching the offer
so yah- to summarize--- poison pill is absolutely irrelevant to what we were talking about- it mightve been a decent thought if you understood how the TJ transaction came about.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so yah- to summarize--- poison pill is absolutely irrelevant to what we were talking about- it mightve been a decent thought if you understood how the TJ transaction came about.

Teams can also sign a player to more money than they think the current team is willing to pay.....See Brogdon and Bogy

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's quit acting like another team never signed a RFA who a team wanted to keep.....that just isn't true

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're absolutely right. They can keep going full steam ahead without any concern for the future. Who knows? They might even be an 8 seed in a year or 2.
that would be a better on-time schedule than the Sixers rebuild! lol

i just dont know how you possibly think it would make sense to flip a #5 pick right now because you are worried about another teams RFA sheet 3 offseasons from now.

thats looney tunes.

not too mention what could you even get that would be near what Garland is? You think a contender wants a 21 year old point guard that has a ton of development to do?

you think the Wiz are going to give up their 2021 first rounder for him?

if you are going to say maybe you should trade these guys you should at least have some kind of idea of what they could get on the market. And point me to even one deal where it actually worked out better for the team trading the recent high pick high ceiling player?

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 168,827.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. But that isn't the point.

Either Sexton and Garland are going to develop into legitimate all start level players or they won't. When their rookie contracts expire they will either get paid as the all star players they have become or paid less because they haven't developed into those players. But if the Cavs don't offer them money that other teams can't then they could just walk to find greener pastures.

I understand, my point is they can match any offer they want to and if they are that good that is exactly what they will do.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams can also sign a player to more money than they think the current team is willing to pay.....See Brogdon and Bogy
you are correct.......going back i think those are the 2 most relevant ones over the last 5-6 years. If one of those happens every 2-3 years thats not bad odds. lol.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand, my point is they can match any offer they want to and if they are that good that is exactly what they will do.
happens all the time.

the amount of times RFA's get away when their own team wanted to keep them is FAR AND FEW BETWEEN. Does it NEVEr happen? no. Is it a rarity and MUCH MORE the exception than the rule?

absolutely.

honestly- if anyone SHOULD worry about it-it would be a team like Miami with herro- when they already have Bam and Butler on the books at max money.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol more than a year his last nba game and dude didn't have a injury that would keep him out that long

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that would be a better on-time schedule than the Sixers rebuild! lol

i just dont know how you possibly think it would make sense to flip a #5 pick right now because you are worried about another teams RFA sheet 3 offseasons from now.

thats looney tunes.

not too mention what could you even get that would be near what Garland is? You think a contender wants a 21 year old point guard that has a ton of development to do?

you think the Wiz are going to give up their 2021 first rounder for him?

if you are going to say maybe you should trade these guys you should at least have some kind of idea of what they could get on the market. And point me to even one deal where it actually worked out better for the team trading the recent high pick high ceiling player?

You two just reflexively defend the Cavs against ANYTHING that they might perceive as a slight.

I literally said I don't know what the right course of action is for the Cavs.

Here's what I do know. Most teams in the NBA are perpetually stuck in a mediocrity loop where they are banished to the land of "mostly harmless". Maybe they are lottery picks. Maybe they are 5-8 seeds. And they are never a real threat to do more than win a single series in the playoffs.

As it stands the Cavs future is pretty much set to be indefinitely stuck in this loop. Maybe they strike gold and get the 1st pick and that player turns into a super star. Or maybe they do it 2022. But the odds aren't good.

IMO, tankapalooza no longer is a viable strategy given the current lottery odds. So the only way teams can really increase their chances of success is by getting more balls in the lottery. And the only way they will do that is by trading desirable players.

Does that mean that the Cavs should trade Sexton or Garland? Not necessarily. But to dismiss the idea as ludicrous is not great either. If I were the Cavs GM I would certainly want to get an idea of what interest other teams might have in any of those young guys.

FTR, there is no on-time schedule for rebuilding. Either you hit on your draft picks or you don't or you wind up somewhere in the middle. Until you hit on 1 or 2, you are always rebuilding.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't have as much to do with the Cavs (no one implied great situation) as it does you not understanding how CBA, certain trades and timelines, etc. might work.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
translation - "clearly I didn't know what I was talking about, dt/wiggy, when it came to the Cavaliers, RFA, etc. but you know I cannot just say what you both must know is painfully obvious'

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, but that is not what a poison pill is. Never mind no one said that was not possible.....only that the Cavs only lose them if they CHOOSE not to match an offer (like any team and their 1st round RFA).

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
happens all the time.

the amount of times RFA's get away when their own team wanted to keep them is FAR AND FEW BETWEEN. Does it NEVEr happen? no. Is it a rarity and MUCH MORE the exception than the rule?

absolutely.

honestly- if anyone SHOULD worry about it-it would be a team like Miami with herro- when they already have Bam and Butler on the books at max money.

Will the Cavs finish with a better record this season than the Heat?