• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021-2022 Mariners offseason/free agency thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like pitching is where the offers are if I read this right.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds like they wanted to go after a big name free agent position player and from what I heard, there was an offer on the table. Possibly to either Siemen or Story. At the same thing, reading this, it appears they have a set price in place on how much they want to spend on the player. Either got turned out or completely out of the running because the price got too steep. Traded for Frazier and now shifting focus on pitching. Frazier was pretty much plan C, D, E. Perhaps in the end, this have no impact in sending out offers to Semien or Story, but it does appear the focus shift to pitching from what he said.

Frazier is also a super utility type of player. Say goodbye to Dylan Moore.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You nailed it. I see both sides to signing him and not signing him. If the predicted $11M per year price is right, then I would go for it. I said it before, he reminds me of the Japanese version of Tyler O'Niell. Not sure if it is an early version of Tyler or a current version. At this point, I am all for adding anything with a chance to make us better and I think he gives us that.
You have any links to any decent scouting reports on him? I found one but I haven't read it yet.

As I mentioned I could be forgetting some guys, but it seems like Japanese pitchers have a much better time adapting to MLB than hitters do and it seems like there are a number of MLB position players who struggled in America but played great in Japan.

This might be a stupid thing to say, but I also have to wonder if a dude who is just 5'11, 182 would be able to replicate the power production he had in Japan. I'd assume that a substantial majority of players in MLB who hit 30+ HRs have at least 20lbs on Suzuki.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Funny you say that... I'm still working on responding to stuff from yesterday but when I read the article, what I bolded below is what stood out to me:

“We had talked about the idea of identifying how we were going to fill those position player spots,” Dipoto said. “Once we were able to connect with, and it appeared we were going to be able to acquire Adam Frazier, we were able to start to start spreading our wings in different places. Because it meant that was one player we weren’t going to get on the free agent market. This was more of a fixed cost for us. While we don’t have a specific number, we generally know what Adam Frazier’s rate of pay is going to be, which allowed us to then go and better assess how far our dollars could go in the free agent market, which resulted in us reaching out and connecting with our top pitching targets. That is more of what doubled our meeting sessions.”

On the flip side... I do interpret this comment as Dipoto saying that since he found a cheaper option at 2nd has more money to work with, which shouldn't even be a problem considering the payroll space we have.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the pitchers it seems..in japan..are not quit as good...do not get me wrong they are good....just not as good.
..kuchi..is..good..but stamina..
he does not have.it..as far as going a full season...

..i.e..going flat..after the all star..break..a lot of teams..will still sign kuchi....heck....the mariners may re-sign him..
just not..the 14 mil......that said...

i see suzuki...like..a ty france....but not...i think..he will play..much like ty....
he will come..have a good .year....by the end...slump..in 2..rake..in 3(.typical rookie senario)....where is that cristal ball....when i need it...lol

yeah...i think he will be fine.....

japanese..are gitting..closer and closer..to americans...in culture.....there will always be diff...but..yeah..
What I was mostly getting at is that it seems there are more Japanese pitchers who are able to make the switch and be impactful as opposed to Japanese hitters.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random thought in the upcoming 20 consecutive posts by me fueled by my 4th cup of coffee...

I'm happy that Kikuchi declined his option, but I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually becomes a very good pitcher. I'm not going to bet that'll happen, but when I watched Kikuchi pitch he either looked like a Cy Young caliber pitcher or like a guy who couldn't get an out in a little league game. He has great stuff, it just seems like he wasn't consistent enough.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt it is enough for that deal but the with the flaws of the prospects that is one thing the A’s are usually good at. Subtract Chapman from that deal and sign Story or Bryant and then the M’s could put Marte in that deal and I think that would be enough IMO. But I did say that is my pie in the sky for off season.
I will say that if the Mariners do try to trade for one of the guys the Athletics have available, I think Jake Fraley would be a throw in that Billy Beane would really like. I don't know if his philosophy has changed much since the Moneyball days, but Fraley has the traits that Beane likes a lot. Fraley had a walk rate of 17.4% in 2021. If Fraley had enough ABs to qualify, that would be third best in baseball behind only Juan Soto and Joey Gallo. Fraley is also a plus runner and defender, so he could be an intriguing piece to teams if dangled.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good with signing him if it's like a tier 2 move and not that they see it as their "big addition." If they get something like Simien, a top tier starter, and also Suzuki, great. If it's Suzuki and a couple middling names that don't really move the needle, I'll be disappointed.
I definitely would be disappointed if Suzuki is the headline of our offseason, but I'm just curious if any of you guys think that his numbers would translate to the major league level. I honestly have no clue.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With knowing nothing about him and seeing clips, I truly feel his role is that of Dylan Moore where he can get in the lineup most of the week just it would be in a different OF position. That is valuable for the roster but as I have posted before he frees up a log jam of OF prospects in order for them to be dealt in a package to get an ace or a guy like Reynolds. They have the ability to spend over a 100 million plus this off-season but don’t necessarily have to since with Semien and Bryant it appears they outbidding themselves just to land them.
Don't get me started on Reynolds...

The idea of trading Kelenic for Reynolds makes me harder than you were last night watching the Cougars maul my Puppies in our kennel.

I think adding Suzuki would make more sense if the Mariners were still "rebuilding," and they can take a chance on an unknown commodity. At this point I feel like the Mariners need to be focusing on adding players with a proven track record.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the trade for Frazier primarily because didn't even give up a top-30 prospect to land him.

Divish isn't the type who would spin things a certain way to give people optimism and he seemed to believe that this doesn't rule us out with Semien, Story or Kris Bryant. Worst case scenario we don't land Semien or Story at 2nd and get a pretty big upgrade at 2nd.

Mariners second basemen only hit .223/.295/.358/.653 last year. Frazier hit .305/.368/.411/.779 last year.

Divish seemed to indicate in his article he believes that Frazier will play a super utility role, which indicates to me he believes the Mariners aren't finished adding to the infield. No reason to relegate Frazier to that role unless Divish believes the Mariners will make a move at second.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep on to Plan 'D' apparently.
I’m really confused on this deal. Is this a shot across the bow to Scott Boras to have him lower the price or is this tossing in the towel on getting Semien? He is the perfect player for the Mariners to “overpay”. Don’t hate the move at all because it was a move we kind of all wanted them to make at the previous deadline, but it is just puzzling and as you said it kind of seems a backup plan move and the off-season hasn’t even really kicked into high gear yet.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m really confused on this deal. Is this a shot across the bow to Scott Boras to have him lower the price or is this tossing in the towel on getting Semien? He is the perfect player for the Mariners to “overpay”. Don’t hate the move at all because it was a move we kind of all wanted them to make at the previous deadline, but it is just puzzling and as you said it kind of seems a backup plan move and the off-season hasn’t even really kicked into high gear yet.
Dipoto says this trade doesn't stop them from doing any other deals (I really doubt this far into free agency there are any other deals for M's to make), but at $7.5M that does take a big chunk of what they have to spend. M's aren't known for going to the cap payroll wise so I think it does play an impact on future deals.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have any links to any decent scouting reports on him? I found one but I haven't read it yet.

As I mentioned I could be forgetting some guys, but it seems like Japanese pitchers have a much better time adapting to MLB than hitters do and it seems like there are a number of MLB position players who struggled in America but played great in Japan.

This might be a stupid thing to say, but I also have to wonder if a dude who is just 5'11, 182 would be able to replicate the power production he had in Japan. I'd assume that a substantial majority of players in MLB who hit 30+ HRs have at least 20lbs on Suzuki.
I read a bit on him a few leaks back. Me saying he is Tyler O'Neill like was from watching a few videos on him. Seems bulky in the upper body and has a short, compact swing much like O'Neill in my mind anyways.

Here is a good workup on him. I saw you had him listed at 182 lbs (I know baseball reference says that) but he looks bigger than that. This article has him at 216 which seems right based on the videos of him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with Frazier if he is the only add is that last year with Pirates was not a normal year for him. In 6 year with Pirates, his rookie year was his only .300+ year, which he did in 146 AB's, before 2021. Also, in 2021 with Padres he hit .267

Sounds like a better hitting, less powerful Moore which isn't what I was looking for this year as our move.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twitter universe keeps saying Gausman is between Mets and Mariners with Mets having a significantly better offer but him wanting to be on the west coast is keeping us in it. Time will tell on this one.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dipoto says this trade doesn't stop them from doing any other deals (I really doubt this far into free agency there are any other deals for M's to make), but at $7.5M that does take a big chunk of what they have to spend. M's aren't known for going to the cap payroll wise so I think it does play an impact on future deals.
Good call, I hadn’t even thought of the budget issues with this deal. I was mostly thinking roster configuration because it seems highly unlikely they turn him into a super utility guy when they still have the Lewis and White problem. Like I said I don’t hate the move, just guess it is a let down if Frazier is the 2B instead of Semien. You know I have been Mr rebuild but if this move is only made so they aren’t salary committed so they have a spot for Marte for 2023 I am going to be pissed.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
frazier works...for me...as a top..of the line up...left handed...hitter...well in fact...in a #3 spot or 4 spot...so lets see..

J.P. Crawford 3........L/L
Mitch Haniger 17......RF/DH
Ty France 23.......................1B/3b...i think france fits up here better than lower..
frazier..........L/L..2b..
.this may take out....my dreams of semien...or story...and escobar..went to mets..we will ..see..but story fits now...maybe better
i did not think of frazier...but he works as well as marte..with the exception..of CF..but i think frazier..is a better hitter..did not cost..what..
marte would have.....in terms of trade....rozier..A.CF/LF..good get..by the mariners in the draft...and..kerr..is better..than some think..san diego knows i guess..
from a certain..point of view...you could say..the mariners..had those guys ..to give in a trade...no not mine?? no..but so what...it works so ok..lololol

5.Seiya Suzuki.......RF/dh
now the mariners really need this guy

6.Jarred Kelenic 10.......L/L
7Tom Murphy 2....catch
8.....Jake Fraley 28............fraley still works for the mariners...even if they ..would get a guy...like naquin...from cinncy...and so does trammell
9Abraham Toro 13....3b

10Cal Raleigh 29..
11Dylan Moore 25..inf/out...utility..
12Kyle Lewis 1...of

a big money...saver...they would need to resign frazier......and they could see...moore..as the back up..to..2b..AND 3b..LEAVING..
lewis...as of
maybe naquin..of cinncy...of the bench...to show what would work...
or...lol....
seth beer...lol.....1b/of

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so guys i like..from cinncy...
Jose Barrero 38...ss/cf..
Tyler Naquin 12....CF...L/R
Nick LodoloLHPCincinnati RedsAAA
ooooohhh..you thought....i did not like...him...wrong...i want to trade for him.....lololololol
Matt McLainSSCincinnati RedsA+2023
Jose TorresSSCincinnati RedsA
same as MClain...

and..i still..like a snell trade....lolololol

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if it is putting fans in the stands.....a snell...trade....and pax resigning...would do it...+++sherzer...but somehow...im getting the feeeling..
sherzer...may sign elsewhere..but..he is still my #1...