• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Roster talk

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with talking about Defense right now, is we have no clue who our DC is going to be. Therefore we dont even know if we are staying 4-3 or converting to 3-4. I personally want to stay 4-3.

On Offense
Dak is gonna get paid well. It will not be a team friendly contract either. For everyone thinking it is gonna be something different. Well..........

I might tag Cooper but it depends on how the draft goes. If for some reason we go WR in the 1st. I might let him walk vs. overpaying him long term. Still undecided on him.

Now for the unpopular opinion.
While T. Smith is still a quality starter, he isnt elite anymore. But worse I would plan on him missing time every year with an injury for the rest of his time in the NFL. So we need to start planning on who will take over for him at LT. 2020 might be his last year in a Cowboys uniform. So do we find the eventual replacement this coming year to play behind him & learn plus strength & conditioning for a year if from the draft? or do we wait till the last minute & be forced to get a high priced FA or use the 1st pick we have to replace him no matter what?
Point being I think 2020 very well be his final year here.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not paying Cooper unless it is a incentive laden contract he does not show up on the road .
I tag him
Dak is going to get paid but That contract has to be Cowboy friendly or I tag him.
Written needs to move to coaching same with LEE
Quinn and Byron are going to want to get paid and you can’t pay them all so I let them walk and trust Will McClay to find some replacements at a better rate
Delpit won’t make it to 17 I don’t think but if he does
Lamb would be a good pick 2
We need a run stuffing tackle and some linebacker help, corner help, a new punter and kicker a backup QB a TE lots of new pieces will be in place by next training camp it’s going to be a busy offseason.
If only we had taken Watts and Thornhill .........

damit I need a beer now

JMHO
I agree with you about the punter. Never have liked Jones much. He is not that great for what he is getting paid. Bring in a FA

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looked up Crawfords contract. he is definitely gone.
only 1.1 of dead space or if we kept him 9.1 cap.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with talking about Defense right now, is we have no clue who our DC is going to be. Therefore we dont even know if we are staying 4-3 or converting to 3-4. I personally want to stay 4-3.

On Offense
Dak is gonna get paid well. It will not be a team friendly contract either. For everyone thinking it is gonna be something different. Well..........

I might tag Cooper but it depends on how the draft goes. If for some reason we go WR in the 1st. I might let him walk vs. overpaying him long term. Still undecided on him.

Now for the unpopular opinion.
While T. Smith is still a quality starter, he isnt elite anymore. But worse I would plan on him missing time every year with an injury for the rest of his time in the NFL. So we need to start planning on who will take over for him at LT. 2020 might be his last year in a Cowboys uniform. So do we find the eventual replacement this coming year to play behind him & learn plus strength & conditioning for a year if from the draft? or do we wait till the last minute & be forced to get a high priced FA or use the 1st pick we have to replace him no matter what?
Point being I think 2020 very well be his final year here.
Agree on Dak. We are either paying him market value or moving or tagging him. This idea of a $25M contract just isn't happening.

Cooper - we need to make the decision on the tag before the draft

Smith - I think he is still one of the best LTs in the NFL when healthy but he just is never healthy even when he plays. The way things are today, I give Collins the first crack if Smith is gone and backfill at RT. He was fantastic last year. Assuming he can make the shift I think the quality is there

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford is an average NFL player being paid like a very good NFL player. Another example of poor contract decisions this team gives existing players because they are afraid to let them go and sign instead, a better player from another team. You are destined for mediocrity when you keep playing the same players and coaches. Crawford is a role player on a good team. If he is paid as such I would love to have him here because I really like him, but that means about $3M per. He just isn't a guy you worry about whether he resigns or not and should not be taking a significant part of your cap away from making the team better. Give him a take it or leave it offer and then just move on if he balks. We complain about how this team plays and then we want to bring back all of the players and think we will be better :noidea:

That being said we need to see how the coaching staff and schemes shake out before we make ANY decision on ANY player

You hit the nail on the head. We complain about how this team plays, and then some want to bring back those same mediocre players. And we wonder why we are 8-8, with Heath and others starting for years.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on Dak. We are either paying him market value or moving or tagging him. This idea of a $25M contract just isn't happening.

Cooper - we need to make the decision on the tag before the draft

Smith - I think he is still one of the best LTs in the NFL when healthy but he just is never healthy even when he plays. The way things are today, I give Collins the first crack if Smith is gone and backfill at RT. He was fantastic last year. Assuming he can make the shift I think the quality is there
Collins was dominant last season and we are seeing why he was projected as a mid 1st round pick. He moves well and is huge. Smith playing at 80% is still better than most left tackles. I hope the new OL coach does not screw the line up like Alexander did. I would have preferred Columbo to return.

We will likely use the tag on either dak or coop.

No disrespect to Dak, if that QB Eason Washington Huskies enters draft and falls to 17 it would be tempting if i was GM. This kid has a cannon and is already making throws that most NFL QBs cant make.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone on here mentioned javon kinlaw as a possible 1st round target.. I have added him to my wish list to go along with delpit. Kinlaw has a crazy 1st step. He would look real good at one of the DT spots. He is also big. Reminds me of David Irvin, but quite a bit heavier. Yeah, he would be worth it. Grab fotu in round 4 and we got some position flex going on. Fotu and kinlaw would be formidable duo . This draft needs to be all defense IMO

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone on here mentioned javon kinlaw as a possible 1st round target.. I have added him to my wish list to go along with delpit. Kinlaw has a crazy 1st step. He would look real good at one of the DT spots. He is also big. Reminds me of David Irvin, but quite a bit heavier. Yeah, he would be worth it. Grab fotu in round 4 and we got some position flex going on. Fotu and kinlaw would be formidable duo . This draft needs to be all defense IMO
I'm not saying I wasn't glad to see him go because I was or that he would have contributed if he was here because he wouldn't have, but with a healthy, focused, sober, mentally stable David Irving the Cowboys would have been in the playoffs. We were told for years how we needed a disruptive 3 tech and when he was playing well he just dominated the interior against the run and the pass. Without a disruptive under tackle the defense we ran just didn't work. So I understand why we took a chance on Trystan Hill, but I don't think he looks like an NFL starter. I like Collins and Woods but we need a better player at the top of the depth chart. It's time to start letting go of our own FAs and signing ones that will help this team more if we can't find those players in the draft.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looked up Crawfords contract. he is definitely gone.
only 1.1 of dead space or if we kept him 9.1 cap.
I believe he has said he is open to a pay cut to stay.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe he has said he is open to a pay cut to stay.
It probably comes down to how much of a cut is he willing to take.
He can play both DT and DE so that versatility might keep him on in Nolan's D.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure Mike Nolan will be the DC which probably means we'll be a 3-4 defense.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure Mike Nolan will be the DC which probably means we'll be a 3-4 defense.
This team doesn't have 3-4 personnel, if they go strictly 3-4 Dallas ain't winning the NFCE.
I could see a good percentage of 3-4 but I don't see it as the primary D at least not in 2020.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then we are fucked!
not because I prefer a 4-3, but we have quick players designed for a 4-3. High draft picks & acquisitions. Not bigger guys needed in a 3-4. We will start dumping quality guys (like last time we converted) & while we want a better defense it will get worse.
Last year we were 8-0 when scoring 30+ points. We were 0-8 when we didnt. We have to get the defense better.
but worst would be. When a Coach design the team to what the players strengths they have instead of designing the team to the coach. its kind of a sign of a not so good coach. If this is the case I will hate the Mike Nolan hire.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then we are fucked!
not because I prefer a 4-3, but we have quick players designed for a 4-3. High draft picks & acquisitions. Not bigger guys needed in a 3-4. We will start dumping quality guys (like last time we converted) & while we want a better defense it will get worse.
Last year we were 8-0 when scoring 30+ points. We were 0-8 when we didnt. We have to get the defense better.
but worst would be. When a Coach design the team to what the players strengths they have instead of designing the team to the coach. its kind of a sign of a not so good coach. If this is the case I will hate the Mike Nolan hire.
It is quite possible that Nolan will stay with the 4-3 as he has coached it in the past but most of his defenses have been 3-4.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then we are fucked!
I think our offense has talent and McCarthy probably believes he can get them over the hump
I think our defensive talent is completely overrated and with so many FA's, it's a great time for an overhaul. Our defensive line sucks. DT's are sub par across the board. DLaw did nothing the last couple of months of the season. Quinn had a great year but would cost a ton to bring back, and with so much committed to Lawrence, I doubt he is brought back. Lee is great but getting old, LVE and JSmith are talented but both would fit either scheme. We need a couple more corners and a safety no matter what the scheme.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team doesn't have 3-4 personnel, if they go strictly 3-4 Dallas ain't winning the NFCE.
I could see a good percentage of 3-4 but I don't see it as the primary D at least not in 2020.
Maybe he'll stay with the 4-3.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We dont have the players to run a 3-4. When BP became coach it took 2 or 3 years to get converted over. We need difference makers at DT and secondary. I would prefer to stay 4_3The team simply will not use first rounders on defensive tackles ,especially NT. When the cowboys ran the 3-4 previously they never brought in the big NT needed for that defense.