• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Recruiting

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is "article" retarded on so many levels.

1. @RegentDenali hit on the first point I was going to make.

2. If you're going to write an article with a headline that has such a controversial opinion, at least offer more justification for that opinion than what could fit in a fucking Twitter post. You would think a "journalist" would be able to articulate himself and defend his opinion better than this.

3. The writer of the article (Moore) is a colleague of Gee Scott Jr.'s father. KIRO/MYNorthwest/710 ESPN should stay neutral when it comes to the recruitment of an employee's son.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's easy to start getting that frustrated feeling when you see some other programs loading up with recruits early and some of our perceived top targets commit elsewhere. Trust me. I was getting those feelings a few weeks ago as it felt like we were in a dead zone when it comes to recruiting.

It's always important to not get emotionally attached to all the best in-state prospects or those high 4 and 5 star players at a certain position of need that your already fantasizing about will look like out there in future games. Just like with the NFL draft, its really easy to get emotionally attached to certain position players you drool over leading up to it and leaves you a bit gutted to see them end up elsewhere.

Yes, its critical for Washington to have "the wall" up and keep the majority of the in-state talent as plan A, but no matter how well were doing, some of them are gonna go elsewhere no matter what. I think once the ball got rolling with Petersen here, you could see they were doing great locally. If certain high rated in-state players aren't recruited by Washington or their recruitment is being very slow played, there will be very legit reasons behind the scenes of why that happened.

It can be a bit dry at times with Petersen from a public facing front and the early months of recruiting, but still got to have faith with the process that we'll end up with another top 15 class come Feb once the dust settles.

Give me Petersens ultra picky approach over Oregons circus and hype approach anyday. Every year, Oregon is having to load up on grad transfers to plug holes because they choose low character dummies who don't develop right or don't deliver on the hype their recruit rankings suggested.

Things will start to heat up a lot going forward with all the summer camps starting.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's easy to start getting that frustrated feeling when you see some other programs loading up with recruits early and some of our perceived top targets commit elsewhere. Trust me. I was getting those feelings a few weeks ago as it felt like we were in a dead zone when it comes to recruiting.

It's always important to not get emotionally attached to all the best in-state prospects or those high 4 and 5 star players at a certain position of need that your already fantasizing about will look like out there in future games. Just like with the NFL draft, its really easy to get emotionally attached to certain position players you drool over leading up to it and leaves you a bit gutted to see them end up elsewhere.

Yes, its critical for Washington to have "the wall" up and keep the majority of the in-state talent as plan A, but no matter how well were doing, some of them are gonna go elsewhere no matter what. I think once the ball got rolling with Petersen here, you could see they were doing great locally. If certain high rated in-state players aren't recruited by Washington or their recruitment is being very slow played, there will be very legit reasons behind the scenes of why that happened.

It can be a bit dry at times with Petersen from a public facing front and the early months of recruiting, but still got to have faith with the process that we'll end up with another top 15 class come Feb once the dust settles.

Give me Petersens ultra picky approach over Oregons circus and hype approach anyday. Every year, Oregon is having to load up on grad transfers to plug holes because they choose low character dummies who don't develop right or don't deliver on the hype their recruit rankings suggested.

Things will start to heat up a lot going forward with all the summer camps starting.

Good post, but I should clarify the concern that @AlaskaGuy and I seem to share:

My gripe isn't necessarily that I become attached to certain players or in-state players, I look at it from the perspective of building a strong class. I don't care if every top in-state prospect goes out of state as long as it's a strong class.

My concern is that there is the expected inherent advantage that UW should have with the guys playing high school ball in our state right now which so far has not really played out with one of the strongest group of high school players we have ever produced.

I would have no concern if UW was compensating with out of state players, but it's starting to look as if they've whiffed on a number of their top targets early on and now starting to go to the second and third tier of players. It's still early and hopefully you can quote this on signing day and call me out for being wrong, but I'm concerned that this class won't come close to that of 2018 and 2019.

It's one thing to be able to turn 3 star players like BBK, Sidney Jones, Rapp, etc. etc. into impact players, but you can't rely on that across the entire roster. Correlation doesn't equal causation, but there is a very strong correlation between elite recruiting and National Championship contention. Strong coaching and development can only go so far. In order to bridge the gap between being very good and being elite, we need strong recruiting.

I have faith in the coaching staff. But if they want to bridge the gap between us and the Ohio State/Penn State/Alabama's of college football, they need to recruit well.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm somewhat hopeful that Tracy Ford's training organization is beneficial for UW recruiting. I read a lengthy article about it and Ford Sports Performance seems to be the premiere athletic training facility in the region and there are a lot of high profile athletes who train there (Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright, etc.). Pretty sure Myles Gaskin, BBK, etc. did their draft prep there.

Hopefully with a lot of high school/college athletes turning to these private training facilities, it can be beneficial for us.

Huard is a 2021 commit, but I have a feeling one of the reasons why UW is in such strong contention for Johnny Wilson (#25 overall, #4 WR), Jalen McMilan (#45 overall, #9 WR) and Gary Bryant Jr. (#65 overall, #12 WR) is due to the high level of recruiting that UW has done at QB.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Came here to post this but you beat me to it. Everything I've read about him indicates that he could be an immediate impact player as even a true freshman. We haven't had a dominant WR since Pettis, but it's hard not to be excited about the 2018-2020 commits so far. We have three 4* recruits in the 2018 class, one 4* in the 2019 class and already one 4* who could become a 5* by the time it's all said and done. I think 247 gives the top 30 or so prospects a 5* rating and McMillan is just a c*nt hair off of that.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not going to help recruiting rankings, but it's nice that last recruiting class we signed a 4* kicker and it sounds like this kid could be pretty good.

Special teams has really killed us the past few years. His average per punt isn't spectacular, but 16 of his 37 punts landed inside the 20 with 14 fair catches.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to help recruiting rankings, but it's nice that last recruiting class we signed a 4* kicker and it sounds like this kid could be pretty good.

Special teams has really killed us the past few years. His average per punt isn't spectacular, but 16 of his 37 punts landed inside the 20 with 14 fair catches.

Looking at that vid he gets a fvckload of hangtime on his punts.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at that vid he gets a fvckload of hangtime on his punts.

No kidding. It's often an overlooked aspect of the game, but it's nice to see the Huskies solidifying their special teams.

I know about as much about punting as Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez knows about economics, but the hangtime and distance he was getting looked really impressive from that video.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also it'll be nice that we'll actually have a reliable punter instead of having to rely on the QB doing some lame ass pooch kick.
Are you subscribed to The Athletic? If so can you copy paste this article on here please.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW lost out on Ringo but what I'd like to know is how Oregon made the cut. Other than Ohio St., none of the schools he listed is known for putting DB's in the NFL on a consistent basis.

D-GGdtgUIAA5JPi.jpg

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he likes to wear bling on his uniforms........

I would rather they keep plucking away at the 3* 4* guys for the secondary and mold them into 1st and 2nd rounders its paid off so far...