• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Recruiting

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I may interject here:

Again these kids are given stars by recruiting people that to be fair, " never really played a down of college football to make them so called " experts".

I know what your thinking, " No way Mcnabb, there is some great recruiter out there that have played!"

Well here is my example, do you all remember the great QB UW had by the name of Johnny Deroucher?
If not I'll pause here and you can google him..........:whistle::whistle::whistle::bored2:

Okay now that you have googled him let me tell you he runs one of the high school off campus programs here in the state and gets kids from all over. Now him and his staff put out info to colleges about "their guys" and of course the scouts show up at the camps his company puts on. Now of course there is nothing wrong for a guy to do something like this, it helps the kids.

Here is the problem I have with Johnny, hes a quitter! He was over hyped coming into UW only to flame out faster then Alaska guy walking into one of the local waterholes up there in the ice bowl wearing short shorts and crocs!

The guy never played a down, ( stat check me on that please) why in the hell would I pay thousands of dollars for my kid to learn from someone that quit when he was given the golden ticket?

My long winded comment is simple, we all hear the term "OKG". As a coach we all want the kids that will go out and work their asses off to compete and win. It's that simple. In my days they use to call it " diamonds in the rough".
There is nothing wrong with targeting guys you know you can coach up, they will work their asses off, and represent in the real world as good guys.

SF you bring up three games : Bama, Penn St and Ohio St. Two out of the three they had a chance to win two of them but time ran out on them. Bama they simple didn't have the depth plain as simple!

McNabb, you're always welcome to interject. What fun is this board without lively debates among friends?

I have to start by saying that I don't believe having played college football is a prerequisite to being able to evaluate talent. There are plenty of incredible scouts, coaches and general managers who didn't even play high school football. We could disagree on this point, but that's fair.

I won't lie, I did need to Google Johnny Deroucher. The result I received was an autocorrect for Johnny DuRocher who was a QB from Spanaway. I don't know if that's who you're referencing, but I'll stop before I look too stupid.

I believe the money that kids pay to put on these camps is to get recognition, as you mentioned. I don't know if this was the point you're trying to make, but you're right that the scouting process with high school players is flawed. There are plenty of kids whose parents can't afford sending them to Ford Sports Performance, paying for them to fly out to some expensive camp, etc. Going to these camps is almost like hiring a lobby organization because you know they're going to hype the kids up to make their program generate more revenue.

The biggest issue with the Bama, Penn State, Ohio State games is I believe that had we recruited at the level we have the past few years, I think that would've been enough to turn the needle.

I still do believe that elite recruiting is important, but you definitely did bring up things that I generally don't take into consideration when thinking about building a program.

Sorry for the essay response. As you've probably learned by now, when I start talking (or typing) I can't shut up. I'm this long winded in person as well. Probably why I get invited to so many gatherings, they know if things get awkward I'll just start yapping my face off.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McNabb, you're always welcome to interject. What fun is this board without lively debates among friends?

I have to start by saying that I don't believe having played college football is a prerequisite to being able to evaluate talent. There are plenty of incredible scouts, coaches and general managers who didn't even play high school football. We could disagree on this point, but that's fair.

I won't lie, I did need to Google Johnny Deroucher. The result I received was an autocorrect for Johnny DuRocher who was a QB from Spanaway. I don't know if that's who you're referencing, but I'll stop before I look too stupid.

I believe the money that kids pay to put on these camps is to get recognition, as you mentioned. I don't know if this was the point you're trying to make, but you're right that the scouting process with high school players is flawed. There are plenty of kids whose parents can't afford sending them to Ford Sports Performance, paying for them to fly out to some expensive camp, etc. Going to these camps is almost like hiring a lobby organization because you know they're going to hype the kids up to make their program generate more revenue.

The biggest issue with the Bama, Penn State, Ohio State games is I believe that had we recruited at the level we have the past few years, I think that would've been enough to turn the needle.

I still do believe that elite recruiting is important, but you definitely did bring up things that I generally don't take into consideration when thinking about building a program.

Sorry for the essay response. As you've probably learned by now, when I start talking (or typing) I can't shut up. I'm this long winded in person as well. Probably why I get invited to so many gatherings, they know if things get awkward I'll just start yapping my face off.

Great write up! I love when we get deep chats going on here!

With that

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am old school I believe to see talent in a player you should have played, or been coached up by a scout that understands hips, footwork, hand size, overall agility. I’m not saying they have to be former D1 standouts, but someone that played and experienced college ball.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

D-ldXLGWwAArYcU.jpg

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://247sports.com/Article/Elite-11-2019-best-quarterbacks-133409619

9. Ethan Garbers - Garbers had a relatively quiet and ho-hum week until the final day of action. The Washington commitment was inserted as his 7-on-7 team’s quarterback during Wednesday’s elimination rounds and led his team to an overtime semifinal victory and title game appearance. Garbers finished the tournament 42-64 for 6 touchdowns and no interceptions. The 6-foot-3, 194-pounder did a nice job of limiting turnovers and taking what the defense gave him, mainly targeting the short and intermediate areas of the field.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great write up! I love when we get deep chats going on here!

With that

I am old school I believe to see talent in a player you should have played, or been coached up by a scout that understands hips, footwork, hand size, overall agility. I’m not saying they have to be former D1 standouts, but someone that played and experienced college ball.

Appreciated bro! I always get a bit long winded, but I try to backup the arguments I make to the best of my ability. I worry about writing something so long because generally my first thought when someone writes something long in response to me is "Aw, fuck I actually have to read all of this AND respond to it" lol.

I definitely see where you're coming from on the coaching aspect. I believe I have a great grasp of X's and O's for a fan - probably a result of my inflated ego and the friends of mine who thought I should somehow get into football - but I would never be able to be a position coach. I only played HS ball and there would be a ton of things I'd have absolutely no understanding of when it comes to teaching technique, etc.

Take Mike Leach for example. Without getting into a debate about him, he's an excellent X's and O's guy, but I'd be stunned if he doesn't delegate all of the actual coaching to his assistants.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://247sports.com/Article/Elite-11-2019-best-quarterbacks-133409619

9. Ethan Garbers - Garbers had a relatively quiet and ho-hum week until the final day of action. The Washington commitment was inserted as his 7-on-7 team’s quarterback during Wednesday’s elimination rounds and led his team to an overtime semifinal victory and title game appearance. Garbers finished the tournament 42-64 for 6 touchdowns and no interceptions. The 6-foot-3, 194-pounder did a nice job of limiting turnovers and taking what the defense gave him, mainly targeting the short and intermediate areas of the field.

I wasn't all that enthusiastic about his commitment due to his ratings, but after watching his film I really think he's a guy who is under the radar who will continue to shoot up.

I wrote something similar to this before, but when I watched his film (albeit they were highlights) I saw a guy who had similar traits to Jake Browning - in a good way - but with a stronger arm.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't all that enthusiastic about his commitment due to his ratings, but after watching his film I really think he's a guy who is under the radar who will continue to shoot up.

I wrote something similar to this before, but when I watched his film (albeit they were highlights) I saw a guy who had similar traits to Jake Browning - in a good way - but with a stronger arm.
Hopefully Washington coaches got a clue after Browning fixed his arm strength issues in California after he left the program.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Washington coaches got a clue after Browning fixed his arm strength issues in California after he left the program.

Unfortunately I'm unsure if that will be the case.

You know I'm really conflicted on this issue because on one hand I believe Browning's improvement in velocity could be the result of him paying a lot of money to a private organization that measured everything down to the width of a pubic hair. I can't imagine that the team can dedicate that many people to micro-analyze every detail of a player's game.

On the other hand it doesn't make sense to me why they didn't identify this. To me it just sounds like common sense that you would tell a QB to use his hips in his throws. Part of me wonders if his improvement in velocity is because he was throwing the ball without a pass rush and was able to focus on the fundamentals. There were times he got happy feet when the pocket broke down and would just launch the ball with a high trajectory right as he was about to get hit.

I don't know the limits on how many people that Petersen can have on his coaching staff, but I find it somewhat strange that Bush Hamden is the QB coach along with running the offense. I can't imagine it would be easy to identify small flaws in someone's game when you also have to create a game plan that will work.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately I'm unsure if that will be the case.

You know I'm really conflicted on this issue because on one hand I believe Browning's improvement in velocity could be the result of him paying a lot of money to a private organization that measured everything down to the width of a pubic hair. I can't imagine that the team can dedicate that many people to micro-analyze every detail of a player's game.

On the other hand it doesn't make sense to me why they didn't identify this. To me it just sounds like common sense that you would tell a QB to use his hips in his throws. Part of me wonders if his improvement in velocity is because he was throwing the ball without a pass rush and was able to focus on the fundamentals. There were times he got happy feet when the pocket broke down and would just launch the ball with a high trajectory right as he was about to get hit.

I don't know the limits on how many people that Petersen can have on his coaching staff, but I find it somewhat strange that Bush Hamden is the QB coach along with running the offense. I can't imagine it would be easy to identify small flaws in someone's game when you also have to create a game plan that will work.
Washington coaches including Petersen make bank and part of their job is to get shit fixed and if they can't then bring in someone during the offseason who can.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incredible get for the class. Especially when everyone was calling him a lock for USC.
Could end up starting as a freshman with Harris graduating, but eith way, by 2021 he'll be our starting C.
Beautiful. Go Dawgs!!!!

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should land him. I don't see why we won't. And it will end up a historic class for the Oline trenches. Wow. Knocked it out of the park this year.and we landed some monsters last year as well. Oline looking great for years to come.
UW is expected to take one more OL for this class.