• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Recruiting

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW lost out on Ringo but what I'd like to know is how Oregon made the cut. Other than Ohio St., none of the schools he listed is known for putting DB's in the NFL on a consistent basis.

D-GGdtgUIAA5JPi.jpg

I've noticed that since the rumors emerged about him being interested in Texas, the Huskies started offering other corners.

It's unfortunate, but on to the next one.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious if Adams commits to UW or if he goes full tard like Ringo.

I think it makes a lot of sense for him. Hopefully he doesn't drag the process out. He's a great prospect and I worry someone worse than him will commit and take that spot.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it makes a lot of sense for him. Hopefully he doesn't drag the process out. He's a great prospect and I worry someone worse than him will commit and take that spot.
Gaskin had a great career and Ahmed is starting to get noticed on a national level ... with that said a few of the Seattle kids (and Tacoma) don't seem too intelligent.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gaskin had a great career and Ahmed is starting to get noticed on a national level ... with that said a few of the Seattle kids (and Tacoma) don't seem too intelligent.

Aw they are just finishing up all the spring camps and every damn recruiter in the nation has been giving these kids the dog and pony show at these camps.

Once the dust settles and fall camps open and these college recruits chill out things will work themselves out.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ahmed has amazing athletic potential and could be the fastest player in the PAC-12, I'm really interested to see how things go in 2019. He's a huge home-run threat but he hasn't really impressed me between the tackles. Unless he improves on that aspect, I expect him to mostly be a guy who they get the ball outside the tackles.

UW hasn't been known as a runningback school, but our guys have consistently put up great numbers. I mean just show a prospect these numbers and I'd say sign me up:

2018: Gaskin: 1268 yards, 12 TDs
2017: Gaskin: 1380 yards, 21 TDs
2016: Gaskin: 1373 yards, 10 TDs
2015: Gaskin: 1302 yards, 14 TDs
2014: Washington: 697 yards, 9 TDs
2013: Sankey: 1870 yards, 20 TDs
2012: Sankey: 1439 yards, 16 TDs
2011: Polk: 1488 yards, 12 TDs
2010: Polk: 1415 yards, 9 TDs
2009: Polk: 1113, 5 TDs

Those are pretty impressive numbers with the exception of 2014.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appears Adams won't be committing till August at earliest. This could drag out for a while.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huskies make the final 4 for one of our top OLB/DE targets. But that's some serious competition we got there so..... :hope:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington beat out perennial powerhouses Sacramento St. and Dixie St. to get this kid. wtf is going on with the recruiting.

Your guess is as good as mine.

With all the low level recruits Chris Petersen and his staff have turned into NFL draft picks, they either have an amazing eye for high school talent or their player development is out of this universe.

I don't know. I'd assume it's easier to take an elite athlete and turn them into a great player than take an average player and help them find a way to compensate for their lack of athletic abilities so that they can merely keep up with elite athletes who have great coaching. The Huskies have done a great job at the latter, but it clearly wasn't enough as evident by the struggles against Penn State, Ohio State and Alabama.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty sure you keep up with UWDawgPound and I really like the articles this guy writes and he had a really interesting take on Johnny Wilson. I hope we land him, but he brings up some valid points:

"Johnny Wilson's recruiting was always an outlier to me. For some reason he was surprisingly interested in us early, and yet I got the sense that we started to ease up on his recruiting despite no significant news to suggest a change in his interest. As one of the freakiest WRs in this class, I can't see anything on film to suggest that his play is the cause for any change in our recruiting strategy with him. While not the best fit in the recent iterations of our scheme, there was nothing that suggests we wouldn't have been better with his talents on our roster. He is a match up nightmare for defenses due to his massive frame, strong hands, and good speed. At 6'6", Wilson has a catch radius that rivals our TEs, but he has better speed and ball skills than most of our WRs (Hunter Bryant being the exception, although Wilson would dwarf Bryant). The only downside to that is his rather limited route tree and agility. Dating all the way back to his Boise days, Coach Petersen has routinely made versatile route runners all-conference players with less elite measurables than Wilson (Jeremy Childs, Austin Pettis, Titus Young, Dante Pettis). The key for every one of Coach Pete's best WRs was that they were multi-dimensional in that they could beat you in more than one way. With Wilson, I have some concern that his shear size limits the number of things you could do with him due to below-average quickness. The majority of routes I saw him run on tape were simple fades and curls with a few posts thrown in. Double moves and breaking routes that have become the staples of the UW offense may challenge him.

While it is the job of the coaches to put players in the best position to succeed, it might not be worth the extra effort to make significant changes to the offense for one player that may not be that much better than a slightly less freaky Wr that is a perfect fit. Aside from the scheme fit issue, my thinking is that we have fallen behind some of the bigger programs and that it might not be productive to slow play other talented athletes at the position."

Coach B's Updated 2020 Recruit Breakdown: 7/1/19

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. I'd assume it's easier to take an elite athlete and turn them into a great player than take an average player and help them find a way to compensate for their lack of athletic abilities so that they can merely keep up with elite athletes who have great coaching. The Huskies have done a great job at the latter, but it clearly wasn't enough as evident by the struggles against Penn State, Ohio State and Alabama.

If I may interject here:

Again these kids are given stars by recruiting people that to be fair, " never really played a down of college football to make them so called " experts".

I know what your thinking, " No way Mcnabb, there is some great recruiter out there that have played!"

Well here is my example, do you all remember the great QB UW had by the name of Johnny Deroucher?
If not I'll pause here and you can google him..........:whistle::whistle::whistle::bored2:

Okay now that you have googled him let me tell you he runs one of the high school off campus programs here in the state and gets kids from all over. Now him and his staff put out info to colleges about "their guys" and of course the scouts show up at the camps his company puts on. Now of course there is nothing wrong for a guy to do something like this, it helps the kids.

Here is the problem I have with Johnny, hes a quitter! He was over hyped coming into UW only to flame out faster then Alaska guy walking into one of the local waterholes up there in the ice bowl wearing short shorts and crocs!

The guy never played a down, ( stat check me on that please) why in the hell would I pay thousands of dollars for my kid to learn from someone that quit when he was given the golden ticket?

My long winded comment is simple, we all hear the term "OKG". As a coach we all want the kids that will go out and work their asses off to compete and win. It's that simple. In my days they use to call it " diamonds in the rough".
There is nothing wrong with targeting guys you know you can coach up, they will work their asses off, and represent in the real world as good guys.

SF you bring up three games : Bama, Penn St and Ohio St. Two out of the three they had a chance to win two of them but time ran out on them. Bama they simple didn't have the depth plain as simple!