• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Patriots News

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Dalton was willing to come to NE for $2M a year, he's certainly not a great choice to follow TB. I'd rather have Stidham and let him figure it out as the season progresses. Then have BB and Josh evaluate him and decide if his performance improved from Game 1 through 16 or if he was up and down and all over the place. If he made a small improvement every week then he's the future. Especially if he never made the same mistake twice all season.

If not, then BB has to start looking again.
When would have Brady played if Drew never was injured? I was never impressed with Drew's decision making. There were rumors that BB had grown tired of his ad-libbing was planning a switch.. If not, when would Brady have had a chance to demonstrate his intangibles?

As the story goes, Stidham has some of the same intangibles like competitiveness and work ethic and a book worm's approach to preparing for games.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is Thuney going? Pats can't cut him because he would count $14M toward the cap. Trade? Wouldn't a trade make more sense before the draft. Dalton no longer has a team to trade with.

I'm having a hard time following your logic.
Obviously it would be a trade. His salary is guaranteed since he signed the tag. Where did I say anything about cutting him?

The Pats have $1.7m in cap space. They have 10 rookies they need to sign. That’s another $5m or so. Even if Dalton signs for relatively short money, they‘d have to clear space to add him. As has previously been discussed the quickest and easiest way to do that would be to trade Thuney. The point as ne75 capably noted is that adding Dalton will hurt the roster elsewhere, perhaps significantly. For at best a modest upgrade over Hoyer.

I really didn’t think it was too terribly difficult to understand.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is Thuney going? Pats can't cut him because he would count $14M toward the cap. Trade? Wouldn't a trade make more sense before the draft. Dalton no longer has a team to trade with.

Somebody with a chance at the playoffs could need a Guard bad at some point. For a very good player you might get a good draft pick next year. Start the season 0-3 and let's see how fast he gets traded.
(for the record, I'm not picking an 0-3 start)

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Were you on ESPN board?

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you rather be burned at the stake or skinned alive?

If you're gonna cook him over an open fire, could you leave the skin on? Asking for a friend :whistle:

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marcus Cannon would give BB an immediate $6M. Remember, only the top 51 salaries count against the cap.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When would have Brady played if Drew never was injured?

Belichick has been asked that question at least 100 times. His answer was sort of humorous the first time, then he got irritated.

His answer: "Not too long after the Jets game."

Then again, he's always given players a chance to work through problems and Bledsoe was a Parcells' guy. Fate played a huge role and forced BB's hand. You have to remember TB's ankle injury and Drew saving the Pittsburgh playoff game.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to remember TB's ankle injury and Drew saving the Pittsburgh playoff game.
That's a huge heap of revisionist history. Bledsoe played admirably as a backup should, but he did not have that stellar of a game. Troy Brown did more.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marcus Cannon would give BB an immediate $6M. Remember, only the top 51 salaries count against the cap.
True. At which point you’re still staring at filling a starting OL spot, though. To facilitate signing a guy who probably isn’t any better than the QB’s you already have.

I agree Cannon’s a strong cut candidate, but the fact it hasn’t happened yet kinda makes me think they’re not feeling super confident they have a replacement on the roster. Let someone beat him out in camp and push some of the cap hit into next year and free up a little more space this year.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick has been asked that question at least 100 times. His answer was sort of humorous the first time, then he got irritated.

His answer: "Not too long after the Jets game."

Then again, he's always given players a chance to work through problems and Bledsoe was a Parcells' guy. Fate played a huge role and forced BB's hand. You have to remember TB's ankle injury and Drew saving the Pittsburgh playoff game.

In 2000 Brady was the 4th string QB. 4th.
Even in the days before the league was protecting QB's, teams didn't keep 4 QB's.
in 2001 he started as 2nd out of 2. I believe Bill B had plans for him.

And yes, I remember the Pittsburgh game.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Cannon’s a strong cut candidate, but the fact it hasn’t happened yet kinda makes me think they’re not feeling super confident they have a replacement on the roster. Let someone beat him out in camp and push some of the cap hit into next year and free up a little more space this year.

He was one of Scar's favorites. Scar turned him into an NFL lineman and he'd do anything for Scar. They have three or four rookies who can perform equally as well and most likely better than Cannon.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2000 Brady was the 4th string QB. 4th.
Even in the days before the league was protecting QB's, teams didn't keep 4 QB's.
in 2001 he started as 2nd out of 2. I believe Bill B had plans for him.

And yes, I remember the Pittsburgh game.
If I recall, Brady started 2001 as 2 of 3 with Damon Huard as the 3rd.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm...

Maybe...?
from wiki

A free agent after the 2000 season, Huard signed with the New England Patriots. At training camp, he competed with first-year Tom Brady and second-year Michael Bishop for the backup job behind long-time starter Drew Bledsoe; In 2001 Brady became the team's second quarterback and Huard the third for the start of the season. When Bledsoe was injured in Week 2, Brady became the Patriots' starter for the remainder of the season, while Huard was the backup until Bledsoe returned in Week 10. As the third quarterback, Huard won his first Super Bowl ring in February 2002 with a Patriots win over the St. Louis Rams.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton signed a one year $7M contract with the Cowboys. Now if the Raiders will just get off their ass and sign Cam, New England fans can relax.