• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 OFFENSE/DEFENSE

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still waiting on this offense to show some signs of life. It's better than last year but not by much and that's probably the only real concern for me for this team right now.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still waiting on this offense to show some signs of life. It's better than last year but not by much and that's probably the only real concern for me for this team right now.
Its been refreshing to see the offense score more than 10pts per game like they did the last 3-4 games of 2019 (or more given that I'm not remembering WHO scored the points, O or D).

Still in need of an identity, but the offense looks much improved. 3 games of having a RB over 100yds. QB efficiency is WAAAAY up. TEs are more involved. They are actually scoring points.

The only negatives I see right now is... Biggest is the play-calling is still suspect under Fichtner. Possession downs are inconsistent at best. O-line is somewhat inconsistent but getting better. The run game is somewhat lackluster but still getting it done.

Are you not concerned about the defensive secondary?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its been refreshing to see the offense score more than 10pts per game like they did the last 3-4 games of 2019 (or more given that I'm not remembering WHO scored the points, O or D).

Still in need of an identity, but the offense looks much improved. 3 games of having a RB over 100yds. QB efficiency is WAAAAY up. TEs are more involved. They are actually scoring points.

The only negatives I see right now is... Biggest is the play-calling is still suspect under Fichtner. Possession downs are inconsistent at best. O-line is somewhat inconsistent but getting better. The run game is somewhat lackluster but still getting it done.

Are you not concerned about the defensive secondary?
Oh I'm ALWAYS concerned about our secondary. Can't remember a time where I haven't been. I'm just not used to this offense that looks like it's allergic to long plays. I thought it was because of Mason being a rookie starter last year but this might actually be how Fichtner calls offenses and I don't like that. The running game needs to be consistent the rest of the way. Diontae scares me with his drops and fumbles. Ben still doesn't look like that gunslinger he was. He's getting is back week by week but I would've thought 3-4 weeks into the season, we would be seeing the good old Big Ben Steeler offense but maybe that was a bit too zealous of me.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I'm ALWAYS concerned about our secondary. Can't remember a time where I haven't been. I'm just not used to this offense that looks like it's allergic to long plays. I thought it was because of Mason being a rookie starter last year but this might actually be how Fichtner calls offenses and I don't like that. The running game needs to be consistent the rest of the way. Diontae scares me with his drops and fumbles. Ben still doesn't look like that gunslinger he was. He's getting is back week by week but I would've thought 3-4 weeks into the season, we would be seeing the good old Big Ben Steeler offense but maybe that was a bit too zealous of me.
I think the consensus is that Ben is back to his gunslinger ways. Is it just because the deep ball wasn't quite connecting against the Texans? It looked good against the Broncos.

Ben has always been a October/November QB. Pretty rare that the Steelers offense in general looks fluid in the first quarter of the season.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the consensus is that Ben is back to his gunslinger ways. Is it just because the deep ball wasn't quite connecting against the Texans? It looked good against the Broncos.

Ben has always been a October/November QB. Pretty rare that the Steelers offense in general looks fluid in the first quarter of the season.

It was mainly the first game, which I understand being hesitant, and against the Texans. But once again, some of that is also on his receivers dropping passes. I will say that I am VERY happy to see him still as mobile as he is. But I think I had too high of expectations honestly. I was expecting Week 2 and 3 to be explosive offensively.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was mainly the first game, which I understand being hesitant, and against the Texans. But once again, some of that is also on his receivers dropping passes. I will say that I am VERY happy to see him still as mobile as he is. But I think I had too high of expectations honestly. I was expecting Week 2 and 3 to be explosive offensively.
To each his own.

Offense looks good to me. Pretty much how I predicted it would look. Back to balanced football with a good run game, and the short-to-intermediate window being the focus for the passing game. Ben has been stretching the field, but the consistency has been hit & miss. Hopefully its just getting more in tuned to his receivers again. Feiler & Avill need to shore up the left side of the O-line. Would like to see the playcalling get better, but sadly that'll never happen unless Ben takes over completely.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To each his own.

Offense looks good to me. Pretty much how I predicted it would look. Back to balanced football with a good run game, and the short-to-intermediate window being the focus for the passing game. Ben has been stretching the field, but the consistency has been hit & miss. Hopefully its just getting more in tuned to his receivers again. Feiler & Avill need to shore up the left side of the O-line. Would like to see the playcalling get better, but sadly that'll never happen unless Ben takes over completely.
This might be a stupid question but is there any particular reason why they don't let Ben call the plays more? Is it as simple as this is just how Tomlin runs his offense?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might be a stupid question but is there any particular reason why they don't let Ben call the plays more? Is it as simple as this is just how Tomlin runs his offense?
Good question. Every time they go no-huddle the efficiency goes way up. Ben calling the plays based on what he sees has always benefitted them. IDK what the disconnect is with that. Probably not as easy of a solution as it sounds, but it definitely looks like a no-brainer to the casual observer. And I do think it's Tomlin's choice. He's always been somewhat of a traditionalist with his coaches & coaching approach.

At one point I thought Ben was heavily involved in game scheming but I don't think so this year. I'm sure they are just trying to let Ben focus on readjusting to playing again and not putting too much on his plate. I'm sure Ben is plenty involved in making in-game adjustments with Fichtner though.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing worth pointing out about this defense... Watching all the defenses around the league today has made me feel fortunate to have at least a decent defense. Everyone is getting carved up all day today.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of differet jet sweep & end-around type plays today...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some stat perspective