• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 OFFENSE/DEFENSE

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cameron Heyward Wants 2020 Steelers Defense To Be Better Against Run - Steelers Depot

The history of the Steelers success has always been anchored by the defense...all 6 titles...all top 5 DEFs, and several were the top ranked DEF.

The 2019 Steeler DEF was top 5, and everybody coming back except Hargrave. Expectations are really high for this DEF again and for the team with Ben looking as if he will play.

In the link, Heyward touches on my concern for this defense...stopping the rush. We seem to be glossing over NT...good Captain is hitting on it now...they need a game plan in this DIV. alone facing 3 top RBs

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m hoping that Tuitt will finally stay healthy for an entire season. That alone should make a huge difference in the run defense. Plus I’m hoping for a big leap for Bush in the middle. The combination of the 2 should cover up any issues at NT. But who knows... Even after Tuitt went down last season Hargrave only logged roughly 63% of all defensive snaps. I do have concerns about Alualu being counted on for increased snaps at his age, but hopefully Wormley makes an impact.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m hoping that Tuitt will finally stay healthy for an entire season. That alone should make a huge difference in the run defense. Plus I’m hoping for a big leap for Bush in the middle. The combination of the 2 should cover up any issues at NT. But who knows... Even after Tuitt went down last season Hargrave only logged roughly 63% of all defensive snaps. I do have concerns about Alualu being counted on for increased snaps at his age, but hopefully Wormley makes an impact.

My general feeling is ILB play will be solid...the concern is they will have to battle a G if the NT play is weak and they're making tackles 3-4 yds downfield.

Maybe I'm making too much out of a 2 down position, but in this DIV I can see some issues.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SMH....all I can say is ideally you probably wouldn't want your back up DE being your main snapcount guy at NT...I hope it works.
Yea, makes me think Heyward & Tuitt would get even more snaps... Scary thought

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, makes me think Heyward & Tuitt would get even more snaps... Scary thought

Yep...the only good I can see is they do have Wormley...hopefully he catches on quickly and is at least a regular snap count guy.

It's still time to go get a vet NT....and he won't cost a ton.

To hear that statement makes me think McCullers is a wasted roster spot.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Baldinger is onto somethin here... Although he's counting Barron as a DB here. 6 DB sets. Like we've said, they have a plethora of Safeties that can act as LBers.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Baldinger is onto somethin here... Although he's counting Barron as a DB here. 6 DB sets. Like we've said, they have a plethora of Safeties that can act as LBers.

Good find.

He has a ways to go yet, but getting Fitz was the best DEF trade/acquisition in PIT probably since Farrior?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen any tread to this rumor... But I'm down. Doubt it happens for a depth piece. Colbert would have to be thinking about giving up draft capital for depth.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they giving up on Edmunds?

I mean he was a total infuriating reach. And he's played like it too.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they giving up on Edmunds?

I mean he was a total infuriating reach. And he's played like it too.
It’s still his job to lose. For as much crap as we’ve given him, and aside from his horrendous ball skills, he played pretty decent down the stretch last season. I think he has come a long way, but he still has a ways to go before I feel comfortable with him.

Signing a vet like Maye would have more to do with FS depth than providing competition to Edmunds. At least at this point in time. They have every intention of starting Edmunds. Maybe at some point if Edmunds falter then they could consider this potential depth piece as a starter at SS. But honestly they have so many SS types in that room already.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s still his job to lose. For as much crap as we’ve given him, and aside from his horrendous ball skills, he played pretty decent down the stretch last season. I think he has come a long way, but he still has a ways to go before I feel comfortable with him.

Signing a vet like Maye would have more to do with FS depth than providing competition to Edmunds. At least at this point in time. They have every intention of starting Edmunds. Maybe at some point if Edmunds falter then they could consider this potential depth piece as a starter at SS. But honestly they have so many SS types in that room already.
No idea why I was thinking Maye was SS.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea why I was thinking Maye was SS.
I was under the assumption that Maye was a FS... But I have no clue how I made that assumption lol. So you could be right!?

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was under the assumption that Maye was a FS... But I have no clue how I made that assumption lol. So you could be right!?
No, he's definitely a FS lol. Although a lot of teams the safety positions are kind of interchangeable now. I think I just assumed he was a SS because the tweet you linked suggested he might be Edmunds replacement.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he's definitely a FS lol. Although a lot of teams the safety positions are kind of interchangeable now. I think I just assumed he was a SS because the tweet you linked suggested he might be Edmunds replacement.
Ah gotcha. Well thats good to know.

FWIW I think the interchangeable safety idea is not good for defenses unless you have a counterpart that is as intelligent as the player you are moving around. Versatility just doesn't apply to a position that has to be as cerebral as FS. You either have those instincts & football IQ, or you don't. How many times have the Steelers failed at attempting this before Minkah? Square pegs don't fit into round holes. True FS's are like field generals on the back end. They can easily change a defense's entire makeup. I always compare this to when Seattle drafted Earl Thomas. Without Thomas back then the "Legion of Boom" or whatever wouldn't have existed even with stellar talent in Sherman & Chancellor. Thomas did so much for that defense that went unnoticed, or at least wasn't held in regard as high as what Sherman was doing at the time.

But the same things can be said about SS. We saw that with Polamalu. For me whenever I look at Safety prospects of any kind in the draft I'm always holding football IQ & field instincts in much higher regard than physicality & ball skills. But you have to commend Ryan Clark for what he was able to do given all the responsibility he had to assume once Poly started freelancing, which was every damn play. Clark is one of the most underrated FSs of all time.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah gotcha. Well thats good to know.

FWIW I think the interchangeable safety idea is not good for defenses unless you have a counterpart that is as intelligent as the player you are moving around. Versatility just doesn't apply to a position that has to be as cerebral as FS. You either have those instincts & football IQ, or you don't. How many times have the Steelers failed at attempting this before Minkah? Square pegs don't fit into round holes. True FS's are like field generals on the back end. They can easily change a defense's entire makeup. I always compare this to when Seattle drafted Earl Thomas. Without Thomas back then the "Legion of Boom" or whatever wouldn't have existed even with stellar talent in Sherman & Chancellor. Thomas did so much for that defense that went unnoticed, or at least wasn't held in regard as high as what Sherman was doing at the time.

But the same things can be said about SS. We saw that with Polamalu. For me whenever I look at Safety prospects of any kind in the draft I'm always holding football IQ & field instincts in much higher regard than physicality & ball skills. But you have to commend Ryan Clark for what he was able to do given all the responsibility he had to assume once Poly started freelancing, which was every damn play. Clark is one of the most underrated FSs of all time.
Absolutely. I totally agree. I'm not even sure what defenses consider the position interchangeable to be honest. I just know I see that a lot reading. Usually in draft profiles etc. for rookies I think. My recall is shit though. So who knows.

Clark was one hell of a player. The perfect compliment to Troy.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. I totally agree. I'm not even sure what defenses consider the position interchangeable to be honest. I just know I see that a lot reading. Usually in draft profiles etc. for rookies I think. My recall is shit though. So who knows.

Clark was one hell of a player. The perfect compliment to Troy.
I see it a lot too in draft profiles, and I see that analysis fail a lot... I know there are lots of factors that play into that though. Schemes, coaches, complimentary pieces, etc. Football intelligence will always reign supreme though. Because an instinctive & intelligent player should be able to adapt to any situation... in theory anyway lol.

My recall is shit though. So who knows.
Too much drinking in front of a 24" screen will do that... Or maybe its too much drinking while kayak fishing in 80-90deg heat?

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see it a lot too in draft profiles, and I see that analysis fail a lot... I know there are lots of factors that play into that though. Schemes, coaches, complimentary pieces, etc. Football intelligence will always reign supreme though. Because an instinctive & intelligent player should be able to adapt to any situation... in theory anyway lol.

Too much drinking in front of a 24" screen will do that... Or maybe its too much drinking while kayak fishing in 80-90deg heat?
Haha. I gave myself a nasty case of dehydration on the 4th man. Was out on Yellow Creek lake from 5:30AM till about noon. Not so much as a fart for wind. Was like sitting in an oven. Then went and spent the rest of the day outside with the family. Beer. Sun. Heat. Plus I came down with a case of the old and fat. That didn't help lol.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha. I gave myself a nasty case of dehydration on the 4th man. Was out on Yellow Creek lake from 5:30AM till about noon. Not so much as a fart for wind. Was like sitting in an oven. Then went and spent the rest of the day outside with the family. Beer. Sun. Heat. Plus I came down with a case of the old and fat. That didn't help lol.
Preachin to the choir.

Day-drank myself through damn near 25 cans of Coors Light (don't judge me, I was werewolf huntin with the boys) in 90deg heat by the lake while fishing & swimming for the 4th... And that was AFTER a full day of day drinking & doin the same exact thing the day before... I think my body is still not right lol