• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 NHL Offseason Thread

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If there are any kind and generous people out there, could you provide a summary?

/too cheap to pay for the Athletic

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If there are any kind and generous people out there, could you provide a summary?

From what I read, Lebrun says the other interested teams were NJ, Carolina, Nash, Minny, Chi and Anaheim.

In which case I am super upset we didn't get the Oilers' 14th overall pick which would almost guarantee we're getting a god damn star lol

/Of course if Lebrun knew the Leafs were talking with 7 teams about Kapanen you'd think he woulda said something yesterday or the day before or literally at any point considering that's his job.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In a nutshell, Dubas wanted to get back his first round pick that they sent to Carolina in the Patrick Marleau swap. Thus, they talked to a number of teams before setting on the Pens who were willing to part with the 15th overall pick in a package deal for Kapanen.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just include the following from LeBrun's piece:

And listen, I get it from the Penguins’ perspective. They’re going all-in one last time around Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. And the belief with the Penguins is that Kasperi Kapanen can take his offensive production up a notch with a bigger, top-six role in Pittsburgh.

And hey, if the Penguins win the Cup a year from now, who cares what price they paid in this deal, right?

But I think that was a hefty price to pay.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just include the following from LeBrun's piece:

And listen, I get it from the Penguins’ perspective. They’re going all-in one last time around Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. And the belief with the Penguins is that Kasperi Kapanen can take his offensive production up a notch with a bigger, top-six role in Pittsburgh.

And hey, if the Penguins win the Cup a year from now, who cares what price they paid in this deal, right?

But I think that was a hefty price to pay.
If they were all-in on winning a cup then they need to fix their defense. Yeah the obvious is JMFJ needs to be exiled to Siberia but the reliance on big minutes from Letang is going to kill them.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally let me add: #HOFGMJRisAllergicToFirstRoundPicks

Just think about this prior to Sam Poulin this season their last first round pick was Kapanen who was traded along with the 2016 first round pick to only be received back for the 2020 first round pick.

Keeping score on Kapanen:
Leafs - received 2 first round picks
Pens - ehhh

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I will fight you for Ehlers.

morpheus.gif

I just hope it all comes to a head soon. I am not sure which is worse - fans who think that we should be able to trade Korpisalo straight up for Ovechkin or the ones who think that we would have to add to Korpisalo, Anderson, Murray and Wennberg for a 3C...

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will fight you for Ehlers.

morpheus.gif

I just hope it all comes to a head soon. I am not sure which is worse - fans who think that we should be able to trade Korpisalo straight up for Ovechkin or the ones who think that we would have to add to Korpisalo, Anderson, Murray and Wennberg for a 3C...
Have to think because of cost certainty they're probably pushing Laine harder (he'd get them more in return, too).

They probably just watched the last season of Blake Wheeler being worth anything close to his $8.25 mil/yr contract and he's got another 4 years on that bad boy. For a budget team in these tough economic times that is going to hurt even more than it looked when it was signed.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to think because of cost certainty they're probably pushing Laine harder (he'd get them more in return, too).

They probably just watched the last season of Blake Wheeler being worth anything close to his $8.25 mil/yr contract and he's got another 4 years on that bad boy. For a budget team in these tough economic times that is going to hurt even more than it looked when it was signed.

That's part of the reason I would chase Ehlers over Laine - cost. Plus, Torts would murder Laine in about a month.

All told, the guy I would want the most from Winnipeg is Scheifle. No way they're letting him go.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reading that Johnny Hockey got engaged last week. I wonder if he and his bride-to-be will still be in Calgary next season as the rumo(u)rs they are a swirling.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reading that Johnny Hockey got engaged last week. I wonder if he and his bride-to-be will still be in Calgary next season as the rumo(u)rs they are a swirling.
With the number of good, proven wingers who could or are realistically available - Gaudreau, Hall, one of the Winnipeg guys, Hoffman, Dadonov, Toffoli, Palmieri and god knows who I'm forgetting - it really sinks in how bloody unbelievable it was that Dubas got what he did for Kasperi Kapanen lol.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are the remaining 8, errr 7 (sorry BOS :pound:) teams prevented from trading?

If they are, that kind of sucks.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, fine. I will trade #3 on that board for #12. Even up. I'm feeling generous. :thumb:
Why is CBJ even qualifying Anderson?
Are the remaining 8, errr 7 (sorry BOS :pound:) teams prevented from trading?

If they are, that kind of sucks.
Nope, you can trade at any time. Just can't play any players you receive back.

You also are kinda screwing yourself if you trade guys currently on the roster while you're playing so that's a barrier.

I think Friedge said in his 30 that other GM's were "surprised" about the Kappy trade because they wanted to be in on him and thought it would've been smarter to wait for the draft. Not sure if we missed out on a bidding war for a 3rd line winger we absolutely cashed in on or if other GM's are mad at glasses boy for making trades when he isn't supposed to.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3