• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 NFL Draft

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I used to hate this, because Jerry was free balling the picks, but I trust our scouting department and decision making now. Bottom line on trading back, is you cant count on Delpit to be there, but if you are at 17, and there are 8 players on your board that you value about the same, then you can trade back 8 spots and still get a guy you like. Pretty simple
it does seem pretty simple...free agency may plug a whole but it just seem logical if you find a trading partner to move back and pick up another 2nd or 3rd rounder. This may be cause like you, I trust the scouting department as long as their not influenced by the owner or a coach

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I used to hate this, because Jerry was free balling the picks, but I trust our scouting department and decision making now. Bottom line on trading back, is you cant count on Delpit to be there, but if you are at 17, and there are 8 players on your board that you value about the same, then you can trade back 8 spots and still get a guy you like. Pretty simple
That's exactly the math, but the last 5 years of info after the draft have told us that this team, after around pick 15-19, has one or two players left at most that they have ranked as a "first round talent". So where we pick I suspect there are only a couple of guys left at most that we have ranked in the top tier and will just grab one of them if we don't trade up beforehand. I do not in anyway think the Cowboys are looking to trade back this year and can't imagine planning it out before we are on the clock. We need top tier talent, not quantity IMO. Superstars win championships, not marginal starters and hopefully we find one at #17

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly the math, but the last 5 years of info after the draft have told us that this team, after around pick 15-19, has one or two players left at most that they have ranked as a "first round talent". So where we pick I suspect there are only a couple of guys left at most that we have ranked in the top tier and will just grab one of them if we don't trade up beforehand. I do not in anyway think the Cowboys are looking to trade back this year and can't imagine planning it out before we are on the clock. We need top tier talent, not quantity IMO. Superstars win championships, not marginal starters and hopefully we find one at #17
It comes down to that really. If they feel there is a guy who will be a star there at 17 then you don't mess around, just take him. But if you are having a hard time choosing between 5-6 guys, I think it makes a lot of sense to get an extra pick while still getting a guy you like. Here is the question though...what if the guy on their board that they feel is a star at 17 is a WR? Do you still take him or do you trade back?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It comes down to that really. If they feel there is a guy who will be a star there at 17 then you don't mess around, just take him. But if you are having a hard time choosing between 5-6 guys, I think it makes a lot of sense to get an extra pick while still getting a guy you like. Here is the question though...what if the guy on their board that they feel is a star at 17 is a WR? Do you still take him or do you trade back?
I absolutely take any player they feel is a star at #17 and if Cooper is tagged and not signed or if they don't pursue him it's a need as well. And this with me being a huge fan of Gallup and think within a couple of years he is better than Cooper. He has shown the ability to fight for the ball and makes the tough catch in traffic which Cooper does not seem to do as often as most elite WRs. If you have a player you think is a star (and only one) you can't pass on him. If they have more than one ranked like that I go position of need at #17 or trade back as you outlined IF I am guaranteed to still get a guy I like.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
correct....it's been said many times on Dallas sports talk that there are about 12 guys with true 1st round grades this year with about 50 guys in the next tier. Pretty much every year there isn't 30 plus players with 1st round grades. The success of any draft isn't about the first half of the 1st round, it's about finding players that can develop in to solid professionals who contribute to a championship. I also don't think anyone is suggesting this team trade back for the sake of trading back. Trading back is determined when you are on the clock or very near your time being on the clock with several players you like still available with very marginal differences.

This topic is still about what this team does in free agency and how many holes need to be filled when it's time for the draft. If Dallas signs Cooper, it would be all time stupid to draft the 3rd or 4th rated wide at 17. IMO, if the two top corners are gone (which seems likely) and the next 5 corners with marginal differences available (as many draft so called experts have said) then it's wise to listen to any team requesting a trade for pick 17

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe it's the Cowboys....miss on a trade up hurts much more. Lose a draft pick to draft a bust. Hello Mo Claiborne
good point. It can or cannot work trading up or down. The risk seems to be higher trading up. I just never got over trading down for Jones when we had Steven Jackson.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good point. It can or cannot work trading up or down. The risk seems to be higher trading up. I just never got over trading down for Jones when we had Steven Jackson.
but did that have anything to do with the trading down? or player evaluation?
For awhile back then, we kinda sucked at player evaluation. So if those evaluating thought Jones & Jackson had similar grades. Trading back would have made sense. I know Jackson league wide was rated much higher but maybe not to our evaluators. We were always acting like we were gonna do something different & grab that surprise player for quite awhile back then.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but did that have anything to do with the trading down? or player evaluation?
For awhile back then, we kinda sucked at player evaluation. So if those evaluating thought Jones & Jackson had similar grades. Trading back would have made sense. I know Jackson league wide was rated much higher but maybe not to our evaluators. We were always acting like we were gonna do something different & grab that surprise player for quite awhile back then.
No, it was stupid. We needed a stud running back that year and Steven Jackson was a no brainer. They overthought that.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it was stupid. We needed a stud running back that year and Steven Jackson was a no brainer. They overthought that.
hopefully that shit won't happen on Will's watch

free agency will define what we draft. I don't see this team trading up with all the holes we could have

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep hearing all these things about Simmons (LB)
Sounds like he will be an all star LB, but the more I hear, I seriously think it reminds me of Darren Woodson. (S)

Am I the only one thinking stupid & crazy enough to think like this?
Obviously the Cowboys wont get him, because he will go way before us, but if he shows the intelligence to recognize offenses to a team with some LBs. he has the speed to play a Darren Woodson spot. or so I read. (sounds like he has the range)

Just wondering if I am absolutely insane with that thought?

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep hearing all these things about Simmons (LB)
Sounds like he will be an all star LB, but the more I hear, I seriously think it reminds me of Darren Woodson. (S)

Am I the only one thinking stupid & crazy enough to think like this?
Obviously the Cowboys wont get him, because he will go way before us, but if he shows the intelligence to recognize offenses to a team with some LBs. he has the speed to play a Darren Woodson spot. or so I read. (sounds like he has the range)

Just wondering if I am absolutely insane with that thought?
nope....many have said he could play strong safety tomorrow and would be a great pick for Dallas with all the uncertainty with regards to health at LB. One huge problem....he's a top 5 pick

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steven Jackson and Randy Moss win another ring or two for Jerry?

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one and passing on Randy Moss the most disappointing and frustrating drafts for me. Moss sitting right there and we pass. We needed a RB and we trade down instead of drafting Jackson.. 2009 draft was also terrible because of all the trade downs. I prefer to stay put and not get cute.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one and passing on Randy Moss the most disappointing and frustrating drafts for me. Moss sitting right there and we pass. We needed a RB and we trade down instead of drafting Jackson.. 2009 draft was also terrible because of all the trade downs. I prefer to stay put and not get cute.

If you have a need and potential stud guy is right there, you take him.

Last edited: