• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 NFL Draft Chat

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One note on SF... They need a WR for sure... But if Lamb and Jeudy are both off the board and they are picking at #13 and us at #15.. Deebo Samuel is a lot like Henry Ruggs... Seems to be they would be more on the Jeudy/Lamb wagon then Ruggs. Right now I wouldn't be surprised by any order of the top 3 WR's though. Just really depends who is picking and what they fall in love with. A guy like Tyreek Hill probably has helped Henry Ruggs status while a guy like John Ross has probably hurt it (although Ross came into the draft with just one healthy year so injuries should have been a concern)
I figure Ruggs (or Lamb) is exactly what the Niners want. Jimmy G lives off play action. Ruggs can really put stress on a team that sells out against the run.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So can Deebo Samuel. SF doesn't have a lot of needs. WR is one of them, but Samuel has their speed to be their deep guy. Pettis may not even make the team this year. Hurd hard to say but they knew he would take some time when they drafted him. Goodwin is a wild card. He could be let go eventually, but he is another speed guy for them. I think they are looking for a different type of WR then Ruggs personally. Lamb or Jeudy make the most sense to SF but you can never have enough speed. I also cringe at people who claim Ruggs is "just a deep speed guy", the guy turns a lot of short catches into long gains. Loved Lamb, Jeudy and Ruggs since I followed their recruiting and made sure to tune into dang near every Oklahoma and Bama game just to watch them.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So can Deebo Samuel. SF doesn't have a lot of needs. WR is one of them, but Samuel has their speed to be their deep guy. Pettis may not even make the team this year. Hurd hard to say but they knew he would take some time when they drafted him. Goodwin is a wild card. He could be let go eventually, but he is another speed guy for them. I think they are looking for a different type of WR then Ruggs personally. Lamb or Jeudy make the most sense to SF but you can never have enough speed. I also cringe at people who claim Ruggs is "just a deep speed guy", the guy turns a lot of short catches into long gains. Loved Lamb, Jeudy and Ruggs since I followed their recruiting and made sure to tune into dang near every Oklahoma and Bama game just to watch them.

One thing that always stuck out to me with Ruggs is how so few of his big plays in college were actually of him making a catch deep down the field. And honestly when he did it was an underthrown pass that many times the space he had created got eaten up waiting for the ball.

So much of his work was down in the short area of the field and using his speed to destroy angles from defenders.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that always stuck out to me with Ruggs is how so few of his big plays in college were actually of him making a catch deep down the field. And honestly when he did it was an underthrown pass that many times the space he had created got eaten up waiting for the ball.

So much of his work was down in the short area of the field and using his speed to destroy angles from defenders.

Clutch!!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Every one sees speed and it just automatically makes them assume deep ball threat and not pay attention to anything else of the player. @Clayton not saying that is what you are doing but it is what I"ve seen so many do.

This is also why Ruggs has moved up my board for the Broncos is because he does such good work in the short/intermediate part of the field where Shurmur likes to do most of his damage play calling wise. The deep threat is an added bonus that makes teams have to keep an extra safety back just in case. I also think with the Broncos Ruggs will be able to take more advantage of his deep ball threat because of Lock.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every one sees speed and it just automatically makes them assume deep ball threat and not pay attention to anything else of the player. @Clayton not saying that is what you are doing but it is what I"ve seen so many do.

This is also why Ruggs has moved up my board for the Broncos is because he does such good work in the short/intermediate part of the field where Shurmur likes to do most of his damage play calling wise. The deep threat is an added bonus that makes teams have to keep an extra safety back just in case. I also think with the Broncos Ruggs will be able to take more advantage of his deep ball threat because of Lock.
Jeudy was more of the deep guy at Alabama from what I can tell.

What I'm saying about Ruggs is that I think he is the YAC guy who can also develop into the deep guy on the Niners because they run the ball so much. Sure, Ruggs might not get off the LOS but you have to account for the fact that a 15yd play action pass can go to the house. Play Action is slower to develop and a guy like Ruggs is a scary cover when you have to do it for a long term imo.

Imo, the Broncos is as low as Ruggs should go. I don't think teams will be grabbing any CBs, for example, before the Alabama WRs are gone.

Last edited:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeudy was more of the deep guy at Alabama from what I can tell.

What I'm saying about Ruggs is that I think he is the YAC guy who can also develop into the deep guy on the Niners because they run the ball so much. Sure, Ruggs might not get off the LOS but you have to account for the fact that a 15yd play action pass can go to the house. Play Action is slower to develop and a guy like Ruggs is a scary cover when you have to do it for a long term imo.

Imo, the Broncos is as low as Ruggs should go. I don't think teams will be grabbing any CBs, for example, before the Alabama WRs are gone.

He has the ability to win deep it really was that he and Tua could never get on the same page with the deep ball. They used him more as a distraction to help open things up for the others than let him win deep and trust his speed to run under the ball. Seemed like the only time Tua threw it deep to him was when he could absolutely see that Ruggs had 5 yards of space open down the field.

Personally I think if Ruggs had been the #1 WR working with Lock at Missouri the two would have put up some pretty big numbers. Lock and Hall had a great connection with the deep ball and Lock was never afraid to push the ball down the field.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has the ability to win deep it really was that he and Tua could never get on the same page with the deep ball. They used him more as a distraction to help open things up for the others than let him win deep and trust his speed to run under the ball. Seemed like the only time Tua threw it deep to him was when he could absolutely see that Ruggs had 5 yards of space open down the field.

Personally I think if Ruggs had been the #1 WR working with Lock at Missouri the two would have put up some pretty big numbers. Lock and Hall had a great connection with the deep ball and Lock was never afraid to push the ball down the field.
I'd agree. I guess what I'm seeing is that some mocks have Henderson going before Ruggs. I don't think that can happen. The top 3 WRs are well above the 2nd tier CBs imo.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree. I guess what I'm seeing is that some mocks have Henderson going before Ruggs. I don't think that can happen. The top 3 WRs are well above the 2nd tier CBs imo.

I'm torn on that. Henderson is the one CB of that 2nd tier that you can really see a clear path to him becoming a star CB in the NFL. He gets sloppy with his technique and there are times I question if he knows what he is supposed to be doing on a certain play. Those kind of things would have been discussed if he had gotten a full chance at an offseason meeting with teams. So I do expect teams will be a bit more risk averse and good chance he is taken after the top-3 WR's but with CB being a premium position it wouldn't shock me to see him go higher than expected.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So If Ruggs ran a 4.45 would he be a 1st round pick? How much of his 4.27 speed props him up ?

I’m still Leary with the lack of production in a lot of games in 2019. 7 games he never broke 50 yards.

concerned for a friend

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So If Ruggs ran a 4.45 would he be a 1st round pick? How much of his 4.27 speed props him up ?

I’m still Leary with the lack of production in a lot of games in 2019. 7 games he never broke 50 yards.

concerned for a friend

Well tell your friend to not worry. You are right without the speed he would not be a 1st round WR. That is a big part of the picture that he brings. His speed isn't just about winning deep though as it is his threat any time he touches the football to take it for a TD. Heck in college every 4th touch was a TD. There was one point where he had 5 catches on the season and 5 TD's (not this past year but back in 2017).

I would put his lack of production on two things...

1) Too many weapons in one offense. 4 1st round WR's, had some great TE's he played with, and of course Alabama has always been a run first organization under Saban. Most games are over by half time where they completely abandon the pass game.

2) I really do question his fit within that offense. Alabama loved to use him as a decoy to open things up for everybody else. There were a lot of plays where he was open but he was option 3 on the play and the other two options were open.

One final point here. Take a look at the Texans with and without Will Fuller (and I think Ruggs is a much better overall player than Fuller). He didn't always put up the biggest stats from one game to the next, but because of his ability to win over the top teams had to respect it and it opened things up for the entire offense.

They averaged almost a yard more per play, a yard and a half more per pass attempt, completed almost 20% more 3rd down plays, and allowed a much lower sack rate with teams not being able to blitz sacrificing help over the top. Throw in Watson's QB Rating went from 89.8 without him on the field to 104.3. That is what one player can do for the entire offense even if they are not making the actual play themselves.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree- Wasn't saying that is what Clayton was saying, but I see many only calling Ruggs a deep threat "speed WR".

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well tell your friend to not worry. You are right without the speed he would not be a 1st round WR. That is a big part of the picture that he brings. His speed isn't just about winning deep though as it is his threat any time he touches the football to take it for a TD. Heck in college every 4th touch was a TD. There was one point where he had 5 catches on the season and 5 TD's (not this past year but back in 2017).

I would put his lack of production on two things...

1) Too many weapons in one offense. 4 1st round WR's, had some great TE's he played with, and of course Alabama has always been a run first organization under Saban. Most games are over by half time where they completely abandon the pass game.

2) I really do question his fit within that offense. Alabama loved to use him as a decoy to open things up for everybody else. There were a lot of plays where he was open but he was option 3 on the play and the other two options were open.

One final point here. Take a look at the Texans with and without Will Fuller (and I think Ruggs is a much better overall player than Fuller). He didn't always put up the biggest stats from one game to the next, but because of his ability to win over the top teams had to respect it and it opened things up for the entire offense.

They averaged almost a yard more per play, a yard and a half more per pass attempt, completed almost 20% more 3rd down plays, and allowed a much lower sack rate with teams not being able to blitz sacrificing help over the top. Throw in Watson's QB Rating went from 89.8 without him on the field to 104.3. That is what one player can do for the entire offense even if they are not making the actual play themselves.

Again- Another great post here... Saves me time from having to write a response.

I wouldn't says Ruggs was "unproductive" by any means either... He was very productive with the ball in his hands. He also battled a hamstring injury this year which before that hammy injury he was really in a zone. He and Jeudy sorta switched back and forth this year in production... Devonta Smith had the 2 huge games (one vs a smaller opponent with Jeudy and Ruggs out)... Many times Ruggs outshines Jeudy this year. Last year Jeudy was in a different world.

All these WR's and we have barely started talking about Alabama Super SOPH Jaylen Waddle yet.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did a 3 round at fanspeak. Got 2 Wrs, a CB a C and DL

15: R1P15
WR CEEDEE LAMB
OKLAHOMA

46: R2P14
CB JAYLON JOHNSON
UTAH

77: R3P13
WR LYNN BOWDEN JR.
KENTUCKY

83: R3P19
C MATT HENNESSY
TEMPLE

95: R3P31
DL RAEKWON DAVIS
ALABAMA

I did a 4 round and loaded up on offense and db

WR CEEDEE LAMB
OKLAHOMA

WR JALEN REAGOR
TCU

C LLOYD CUSHENBERRY
LSU

CB AMIK ROBERTSON
LOUISIANA TECH

S ASHTYN DAVIS
CALIFORNIA
118: R4P12

DL LEKI FOTU
UTAH

Fanspeak's On the Clock NFL Mock Draft Simulator

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruggs needs to a be home run. A miss eval just can't happen at 15. Still haven't seen anyone drafted this high with his kind of production. Fuller was dominate at ND. (62 1258 20.3 14 ) . He went 18

NFL is about projections. It feels like WR is the play at 15. I hope they use a 3rd and trade up.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you really need to watch Alabama to understand Ruggs. If you look at stats you can't understand the type of impact player he is.

I know he hasn't turned out and he is injury riddled but you gotta think of a John Ross like... If Ruggs is on another team he puts up numbers similar to Ross his SR year IMO.

I think Ruggs is a hard guy to get excited (minus the 40 time) about unless you have watched him play a lot the last 3 years... Then you know what's up!

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did a 3 round at fanspeak. Got 2 Wrs, a CB a C and DL

WR CEEDEE LAMB
OKLAHOMA

CB JAYLON JOHNSON
UTAH

WR LYNN BOWDEN JR.
KENTUCKY

C MATT HENNESSY
TEMPLE

DL RAEKWON DAVIS
ALABAMA

I did a 4 round and loaded up on offense and db

WR CEEDEE LAMB
OKLAHOMA

WR JALEN REAGOR
TCU

C LLOYD CUSHENBERRY
LSU

CB AMIK ROBERTSON
LOUISIANA TECH

S ASHTYN DAVIS
CALIFORNIA
118: R4P12

DL LEKI FOTU
UTAH

Fanspeak's On the Clock NFL Mock Draft Simulator

Great draft.

Robertson is interesting. He has as good of coverage skills as anyone this year... He is small though... Gonna be a nice rd 4 pick for someone IMO who could end up at the end of rd 3 based on coverage skills.

If he was 2 inches taller he is a possible first rd pick.

Ashtyn Davis is a steal at 118.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your Debo comment supports the group who wants to wait till the 2nd for a Wr