• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 The Carter Hart Era PT2(The raising of the cup)

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point why waste whatever your going to part with for him? Why not just wait and try to land a couple Big Fish.
There are no big fish free agent defenseman this summer unless Doug Hamilton doesnt resign which is a big if and we pay him 8.5 million per season. Not to mention we have to sign our own UFAs Laughton Elliiot Raffl and our RFas Hart and Sanheim.

Depending on trying to land a big fish is not easy.

Plus the year after Couts and Gee are UFas

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are no big fish free agent defenseman this summer unless Doug Hamilton doesnt resign which is a big if and we pay him 8.5 million per season. Not to mention we have to sign our own UFAs Laughton Elliiot Raffl and our RFas Hart and Sanheim.

Depending on trying to land a big fish is not easy.

Plus the year after Couts and Gee are UFas
That's why you trade Gee and Jake this year and shed JVR off to the Kraken.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be repetitive... but this from a friend who bleeds orange and black.......

"lack of attention to structured hockey. The breakout is pathetic, and the whole team is content to coast up to the d zone coverage assignments and just reach their stick out as they hang our net minders out to dry. Brutal. Need new team leadership (captain)."

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be repetitive... but this from a friend who bleeds orange and black.......

"lack of attention to structured hockey. The breakout is pathetic, and the whole team is content to coast up to the d zone coverage assignments and just reach their stick out as they hang our net minders out to dry. Brutal. Need new team leadership (captain)."

I just don't buy the leadership stuff. These are grown men playing professional hockey. If "leadership" is the difference between them playing like shit and playing at a high level, they're not welcome on my team.

OV took 13 years to win a Cup. Was he a bad leader? Did he magically become a good leader just in time to win a Cup? No. The Caps finally had the right mix of players and coaching staff, and they won.

Last edited:

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't buy the leadership stuff. These are grown men playing professional hockey. If "leadership" is the difference between them playing like shit and playing at a high level, they're not welcome on my team.

OV took 13 years to win a Cup. Was he a bad leader? Did he magically become a good leader just in time to win a Cup? No. The Caps finally had the right mix of players and coaching staff, and they won.
Then the professional hockey players are not buying into something on this team. Maybe they're fed up wit AV calling them out in the press ?

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then the professional hockey players are not buying into something on this team. Maybe they're fed up wit AV calling them out in the press ?
Honestly the D is broken and having played myself it gets discouraging and old real fast. I was expecting the young dmen to improve but instead they've wilted. That one glue guy Nisky hurt them real bad so will getting someone like him back this year help? Possibly as sometimes it's just the sum of the parts back there and everything falls into place. Just can't guarantee that it will be enough as they have other players who are struggling like TK, Patrick and Lindblom for obvious reasons.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well actually, it took Ovie that long to win a cup because he finally had a coach who made him drop the "me"attitude for the "team" attitude IMO.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Perhaps. I’m sure that gets old, but I’m sure part of that is why AV’s tone overall has been “trending in the right direction” type statements the past couple games. Some of it I think is they’re young on defense. And Provorov, to me, seems to be one of the types of guys that struggles most with a cold spell. He goes as his confidence goes. Same for Ghost. And without Niskanen there doesn’t seem to be someone back there to take the pressure off them. Hart is the same way and in the same slump. So it just compounds.

Maybe some of its leadership I guess. But it’s broader than just one or two guys. I agree 100% they could use more leadership. I think they could really use someone on the team that’s won a cup. And someone that keeps the big picture in mind and doesn’t zero in on one play or one game. I think that’s what Niskanen brought them last year and why he’s so desperately missed.

But I don’t think they’re losing because G and the alternates are bad leaders.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well actually, it took Ovie that long to win a cup because he finally had a coach who made him drop the "me"attitude for the "team" attitude IMO.

Trotz is an absolute stud as a coach. I’m not going to refute that. But he’s a lot more than just a ‘team over player” attitude adjustment. He’s just a damn good coach period.

But coach is part of it. Have to have the right mix of players and coaches.

And if you’re inferring that G is a ‘me first player’ I don’t know how you can take that stance. He’s played 3rd line minutes for a lot of this season. He’s been moved to the 2nd PP unit at times. Last season they switched him off the left side of the PP for a majority of the season, even though that’s been his most productive situation his whole career. He plays all 3 forward positions. He PK’s. He signed an 8 year deal to be a Flyer knowing full well they were going to go through a rebuild. Still, half the city turns on him. And not an ounce of complaint through it all. He just continues to be a top 3 player on the team.

I’m absolutely biased towards Giroux. I can admit that. But all the arguments for getting rid of him are littered with so many holes.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trotz is an absolute stud as a coach. I’m not going to refute that. But he’s a lot more than just a ‘team over player” attitude adjustment. He’s just a damn good coach period.

And if you’re inferring that G is a ‘me first player’ I don’t know how you can take that stance. He’s played 3rd line minutes for a lot of this season. He’s been moved to the 2nd PP unit at times. Last season they switched him off the left side of the PP for a majority of the season, even though that’s been his most productive situation his whole career. He plays all 3 forward positions. He PK’s. He signed an 8 year deal to be a Flyer knowing full well they were going to go through a rebuild. Still, half the city turns on him. And not an ounce of complaint through it all. He just continues to be a top 3 player on the team.

I’m absolutely biased towards Giroux. I can admit that. But all the arguments for getting rid of him are littered with so many holes.
Lol I wasn't slighting G with my comment, I was slighting Ovie because until Trots it was all about the Ovie show. Sorry if you took my meaning as an attack on Gee.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think G is a me first player either. I just think he takes time off in games. He's unstoppable when he's 'on', disappears other times. Leaders are never 'off'.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think G is a me first player either. I just think he takes time off in games. He's unstoppable when he's 'on', disappears other times. Leaders are never 'off'.

I think it's hard to ask anyone to be 100% on all the time. Guys have bad games. Every player in the league has bad games. Some guys have very few, but it's the generational talents like Crosby, OV, MacKinnon, Matthews, and McDavid. I love Giroux, but he's not that caliber of player. Especially not at 33. He had a couple seasons there where he was close to that level, but those guys are on another level. The Flyers don't have someone at that level, and maybe that's a problem that they can't overcome. But their depth is supposed to overcome that. Get a bunch of really good players and hopefully someone is on every night. Right now, nobody in the 'preventing goals' category is on and the Flyers look bad because of it.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've been through 6 coaches with this leadership. Again for the 6th time its not the coaches. Your friend is right but this board will go to their deaths trying to bring up examples of how Gee is a good leader.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ovi had his team in the playoffs every year though. That cant be said for our leadership.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ovi had his team in the playoffs every year though. That cant be said for our leadership.

The Flyers sucked for 6 years. The roster was terrible. I don't understand how you don't get that. Hextall came out when he was hired and said they were going to suck. And yet, you blame Giroux for losing. That's crazy.

You argued for YEARS about how bad of a trade Schenn for two 1st round picks and Lehtera was. And that was just 1 of many deals intended to help the future. But no, G should have overcome that. For 5 years Hextall took away depth and talent from Giroux but apparently the expectation for him did not change. Make the playoffs and win the Cup or you're a bad leader.

Last edited:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why you trade Gee and Jake this year and shed JVR off to the Kraken.
If we were going to trade any of these forwards why wouldn't we trade JVR right now as his value has never been higher instead of losing him for nothing to the Kraken?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Flyers sucked for 6 years. The roster was terrible. I don't understand how you don't get that. Hextall came out when he was hired and said they were going to suck. And yet, you blame Giroux for losing. That's crazy.
I dont blame Giroux for losing as he is a good player hes just a bad leader..

Weve changed head coaches 6 times, Gm's three times assistant coaches numerous times and one thing remains constant. just sayin.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont blame Giroux for losing as he is a good player hes just a bad leader..

Weve changed head coaches 6 times, Gm's three times assistant coaches numerous times and one thing remains constant. just sayin.

I'm not going down this rabbit hole again :).