• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 NHL Season Thread

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this article on my FB feed, and I will say, I get the negative sentiment towards Doughty around the league these days, and yes, on the surface, his contract does look terrible, but I feel it's a bit unfair. The look of his play & contract, are enhanced mainly because he's on a bad team right now. Look who has been his partner since Muzzin was traded. It also doesn't help that the defensive structure of the team has changed in that the Forwards are not required to position themselves closer to the defensive circles, and have been allowed to "float" closer to the blue line in hope that it generates more offensive attack.

I think Douughty is still an effective defender. He isn't elite anymore but he is still a T2 on any team. That to me is the key and tells you how elevated his play once was - he "sucks" and is still a T2? I'll take that any day of the week. Still not a fan of the deal, but that is what the market dictated, he was still considered elite and the Kings could not have this guy walk away in free agency. They had no choice.

I also agree that the horrid team definitely brings his play under the optics a bit more. On a solid team I am pretty confident he nor his contract would be talked about much.

I will say, that it is nice to see the Sharks have 2 players listed, Karlsson & Vlasic. Sharks are going to be in hell for a few more years, especially with the cap remaining flat for the next couple years...

Don't forget Burns too although he didn't make this list, but between those 3 they have a $26.5 million cap hit and the earliest one of them comes off the books is 2025-26 (Burns, who will be 40). Their age and details, years left on their deals including 2020-21:

Karlsson 30 $11.5 million AAV/7 years/$65.5 million cash
Vlasic 33 $7 million AAV/6 years/$41.5 million cash
Burns 35 $8 million AAV/5 years/$34 million cash

In one word, SJ is fucked. Half their blueline will need a walker in 5 years because no one is touching any of those deals without 1sts going the other way not to mention roster players in any such deal most likely which depletes their assets even more. Similar to the Brown and Quick deals in LA (I think someone would take a flyer on Carter considering his cap hit is low as is ($5.272 million) but he is only owed $4 million total over 2020 and 2021. He would be a solid depth piece on a contending team even in a 3C role.

And I didn't even mention Jones for SJ (31 $5.75 million AAV/4 years/$21 million cash), who looks like an AHL goalie these days (actually the last 3+ years, not good) and rumors went on last week he may be waived. He was definitely the beneficiary of the stellar defense the Kings ran for years and at least makes the Lucic deal somewhat more palatable. Doug Wilson has really handcuffed that team.

Colin Miller and Jones were not big losses for LA overall, but what was was the 1st round pick Dumbo gave up in the Lucic deal. The Bruins seemed to have blown that pick in 2015 anyway with Jakub Zboril (they had number 14, 15 and 16 in a row that year. Nuts) but DeBrusk (14 - Boston), Barzal (16 - NYI), Connor (17 - Peg) and Chabot (18 - Ottawa) were still on the board.

Any one of those guys would have been a solid roster addition in LA, and Dumbo really screwed up sending Cernak in the deal for Bishop, who was drafted in the 2nd round by LA this same draft.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also believe it's more management than coaching and/or city.

Management for sure. They operate on a low budget, which is understandable but the CBA leveled the field for these types of teams. They also still have the revenue sharing from the top 10 markets (LA is one of them) that seems forgotten, where the top 10 markets pitch in a share to help the bottom 10 market teams. I believe CBJ is on this list too.

My feeling (never heard this, just my gut) is they have a self imposed internal cap, much like Anaheim even though they have the ability to push the cap. Hard to feel sorry for a team like CBJ who has drafted well and overall made shrewd trades but when it comes time to pay big players...well, if you want to compete and win you'll have to pay some bigger bucks.

Bitch, please. I've been using that middle finger ascii since before the ESPN board. I can't remember if we were on the ESPN or Yahoo board 1st. Dude we were in our 20's then. Now we're pushing up on 50.

Focker, I found that ASCii finger in the mid 90s and introduced it to this board. Take your version and give yourself an anal covid test.

And yup, hard to believe. I'll be 46 on Friday and have been posting with some of you guys half my life. We're a pathetic bunch.

Anyway here's a few more for you:

╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮ (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐ ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮ t(-.-t)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And one for you too. Let freedom ring mother fucker.

FB_IMG_1613441153385.jpg

=)~~

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think la should grab galchenyuk hes cheap, 1y ufa....andersson, amadio....they could all use a wake up if la isnt going to "rush" anyone

Galchenyuk and Paquette traded over the weekend from Ottawa for Dzingle from Carolina. Dzingle returns to Ottawa for round two, Paquette traded twice in less than 6 weeks.

Andersson hasn't been bad in his role in LA, but he really hasn't taken anything by the horns and shown he was worth that 7th overall pick in 2011 either. Looking like The Legend was a better pick at 11, but he too is struggling and could probably use some time in the minors. The game against SJ last week though (Kings lost 4-3 in the SO I believe, had a 3-2 lead in the final minute of regulation. If he elevates that puck on Jones he would have had a goal in the SO) he looked dominant, made a game saver too on a sure shot goal with Marleau in the crease and Petersen out of position. However, take the competition into consideration too, not like he dominated even an average team.

Amadio, I think he is gone from LA one way or another this summer - ED or moved even for a low pick. Dude just has never fulfilled his potential and the pipeline is jammed up. See ya.

Last edited:

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm eichel to the kings? I would be ok with thathes a good player in a horrible franchise...but for who

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm eichel to the kings? I would be ok with thathes a good player in a horrible franchise...but for who

Just read the article in The Athletic, he definitely needs a change of scenery. They have done absolutely nothing around the guy, tanked two years in a row to land either or McJesus and got Eichel, complete mismanagement of the team. I would rather have the Kings look at him than Dubois because his aging will line up with when the Kings are ready to compete for a Cup because he will be about 26-27, in his prime but that price tag (another $10 million player, 6 years left including this season) could be concerning with Doughty and Kopitar still on the books during that time.

TO has 3 guys making $10+million just in their top 5, being top heavy thins out the lower lines. Brown and Carter will come off the books in 2 years and Quick will come off in 3 though during this contract, but some of the younger guys on ELCs or lower second contracts (Kempe and The Legend for example) will need new deals as well as RFAs.

Don't want to see the Kings create all this cap space and make a wrong move handcuffing them yet again, but he is definitely a player the Kings should target for contention.

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read the article in The Athletic, he definitely needs a change of scenery. They have done absolutely nothing around the guy, tanked two years in a row to land either or McJesus and got Eichel, complete mismanagement of the team. I would rather have the Kings look at him than Dubois because his aging will line up with when the Kings are ready to compete for a Cup because he will be about 26-27, in his prime but that price tag (another $10 million player, 6 years left including this season) could be concerning with Doughty and Kopitar still on the books during that time.

TO has 3 guys making $10+million just in their top 5, being top heavy thins out the lower lines. Brown and Carter will come off the books in 2 years and Quick will come off in 3 though during this contract, but some of the younger guys on ELCs or lower second contracts (Kempe and The Legend for example) will need new deals as well as RFAs.

Don't want to see the Kings create all this cap space and make a wrong move handcuffing them yet again, but he is definitely a player the Kings should target for contention.
Who and what do you think is a fair trade for him? Turcotte, Byfield??

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They wont move byfield for anyone

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, especially since they are really pushing that they were the ones that drafted the highest african american person. But I was just throwing some things out there to see what everyone thinks would be a fair trade.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think stuetzle is the #1 of that draft....

I would guess quite a package, sabers need everything. At least 2 top prospects and picks or something but as puck pointed out kings have enough big contracts that most of us dont like, but not much you can do unless your ok watching everyone walk away.

I doubt the kings are in it for him but i think grabbing him would make them decent competition as soon as next year, i think kings lose 10m or so in wasted cap from kovy and phanuef and while expensive kopi and dd can still play and sprinkle in a few good prospects and perhaps a ufa d and they could be in decent shape.....eichel/kopi would be great 1/2....nice thought, but probably not even close to reality

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't be so sure about that. They said the same thing about Jokinen in 1997 and poof...2 years later in summer 1999 he is part of the Palffy deal. He went 3rd overall and was the highest pick the Kings had in 11 years (Carson/2nd/1986). Taylor specifically said he was their center of the future, just like management is now saying about Byfield.

The Kings got great value out of that one, especially with Smolinski slotting in as a 2C, and Jokinen didn't fulfill his potential until 7 years later and peaked the next 3 years. He was supposed to be a franchise 1C, Stumpel was the stop gap, Smolinski the 2C and then 2 years after the trade (2001) they acquired a franchise 1C - moving Stumpel - in Allison, who absolutely delivered his entire time in LA when he wasn't injured. Meanwhile Palffy filled a massive hole, was star power, and a key player for LA for the next 6 seasons from 1999-2005.

The beauty of having so many prospects is you can do whatever is necessary to improve the franchise both short and long term - you can keep them and develop them, see which ones pan out and slot them into the depth chart or you can flip them for immediate help if you have a plan in place.

I'm not saying they will move Byfield, but if the right deal comes up that lines up with a contention window, I don't think it's out of the question. Been around this game far too long to believe otherwise.

Last edited:

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They wont move byfield for a very long time

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they will give him a 2 year window, seems like in recent years a lot of the 1st round picks are being fast tracked to the NHL. It's a combination of teams improving their development programs and also the athlete themselves, they are way more skilled than guys say just 10-15 years ago so they develop quicker.

He didn't really stand out at the WJCs but I don't think he was out of place either. I think Turcotte actually outplayed him for the US and made his presence known more than Byfield did for Canada, but it wasn't as bad a showing as I was reading. Canada is a deep team, he wasn't going to get a ton of playing time in the T3.

He has a lot of things to work on in his game, he already has the size and skill to be an NHL center but I think if he doesn't show an accelerated growth path, he could be moved in a major deal to get the Kings what they need.

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad they are taking their time with him. Although Stutzle is doing well Lafreniere looks to be struggling a bit (judging by stats).

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stuetzle is a gem, but he is probably undersized and hopefully doesnt get destroyed playing on a bad ott team.

While byfield has good size and skill i think he needs more "adult" strength/bulk to be effective in nhl. Obviously i want him to do well, i believe he becomes a solid pro player but not an outstanding one. Covid kinda hurts developing players but i hope for what i think byfield needs he can do stregth/bulk and hopefully be ready to play for a spot in a few seasons

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would still move anyone for eichel if it was an option. He is a player that wants to win and you can build around if your an organization that knows how to do that.

With panarin possibly going the route of voynov im guessing rags pay dearly for jack

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would still move anyone for eichel if it was an option. He is a player that wants to win and you can build around if your an organization that knows how to do that.

With panarin possibly going the route of voynov im guessing rags pay dearly for jack
Just saw Panarin story today. If it is nothing, why leave the team? Of course if the Russian government is threatening his family, then I can see taking time to make sure they are safe.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like everything in our news, wtf is real? Can i believe panarin beat the shit out of a woman and paid her off? Yes. Can i believe its a made up story over politics? Yes. Can i believe he fears for his family, thats why he left? Yes. Can i believe he left to go shut up the woman? Yes......plus everything inbetween and beyond.

Information age is awesome

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad they are taking their time with him. Although Stutzle is doing well Lafreniere looks to be struggling a bit (judging by stats).

Me too, there is no reason to rush him into the NHL lineup. I do think we will get a look at him this season though, especially if the Kings are out of the PO picture down the line.

Stutzle isn't doing too bad on acrappy Ottawa team, but you are spot on regarding Lafreniere. Been watching a lot of NYR games and he absolutely looks lost. He shouldn't be on an NHL roster at this point, but with the team struggling, big market, etc. there are factors outside of his development driving that. I think it's wrong too, the kid needs a lot of work. With AHL games now going on, I don't see why they don't send him down there to hone his game; my only assumption is to save face - not a good look when you've been licking your own dick like NY was getting the 1st overall - and then having to send him down to the minors.

He has plenty of time to develop and grow, but if he turns into Daigle 2.0 - another French Canadian 1st overall - NY is in big trouble.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would move Byfield for Eichel in a heartbeat. No questions asked. Eichel is an established franchise 1C, Byfield is projected to be one. Eichel's age lines up perfectly with maturation in terms of prime when this team's window should be open, they should be able to compete for a Cup for a solid 3-4 seasons with him on board and if other stuff lines up.

Plus the Kings have a surplus of centers and would be able to address other areas of need (defense anyone?). Hell Turcotte alone could be a hybrid 1C/2C, reminds me a ton of Mike Richards. Maybe not a superstar 1C but who cares. Addiction issues aside, Richards was a winner and played balls out for a small guy, consummate teammate and competitor.. His attitude was a big pece of changing the Kings and Turcotte has that, you can see it in the way he plays. Win at all costs, warrior mentality.

Eichel is dying to win, Buffalo is a freaking mess (anyone see how the Skinner contract has aged? Doh). The Kings have the experience and philosophy of winning, I think he would welcome that and an opportunity to compete yearly. Buffalo is about as inept as it comes, the Ducks are right up there too. Murray is a crap GM and screwed up his team, he should fire himself.

The issue as we mentioned though is that $10 million salary. Ouch. But even then he would be 29 when that deal is up, not 36 like Kopitar so if he pans out the Kings could still keep him on a shorter deal as he enters his 30s or if they want to move on they didn't invest in him into his mid 30s like a lot of players in the league and he walks or is traded.

All kinds of crazy with that story. And the Rangers would love to have him, but I don't know if they would have a shot within the division and conference. Maybe they could swap Lafreniere for him as the centerpieces of a deal, but that would be premature at this point. Buffalo would probably wreck him too.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twitter reporting over the weekend the Sabers have gotten offers for Eichel, but "they aren't ready to do this". LA and NYR have the assets and space to make it happen.